Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I did 15k at my dream half marathon pace this morning. It was hard but not balls out hard.
could I have maintained it for another 6.1k? I’m reasonably confident I could’ve hung on for another 2, after that who knows.

things in my favour:
- i pretty much rolled out of bed and and started running.
- nutrition consisted of water and a couple of snake lollies beforehand so that can be improved.
- i did an easy 11k yesterday and a hilly 28 the day before so the legs weren’t exactly fresh.
- i was actually 2 seconds a k faster than my target pace.

things not in my favour:
- 6.1k is far.

Pretty sure runner math means you take the 21.1 and divide by 3, equaling 7 x 3.

The first rep is always free, so that means you're at 7 before it even counts. Then the middle one is hard work. Then you're on the last one, which is obviously pretty much only half a rep because you don't have to do anything afterwards.

So really, the last 6.1km is only actually about half as far, and 3km is barely anything.

#runnermath

I ran Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC on Sunday. Brutal humid conditions. was on track for sub 4 at halfway (1.52), even at 30km was still on track (but starting to flag) then things just blew out. Finished 4.12 in the end. The final 5-6km was an arduous, zombie-shuffle to the finish line. A hard, tough day. They started closing the course early b/c they were running out of medics, lots of people dropping toward the end. I saw one guy getting CPR, that’s when I stopped getting upset about my own time and focussed on just getting finished and home.

Last edited:
I ran Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC on Sunday. Brutal humid conditions. was on track for sub 4 at halfway (1.52), even at 30km was still on track (but starting to flag) then things just blew out. Finished 4.12 in the end. The final 5-6km was an arduous, zombie-shuffle to the finish line. A hard, tough day. They started closing the course early b/c they were running out of medics, lots of people dropping toward the end. I saw one guy getting CPR, that’s when I stopped getting upset about my own time and focussed on just getting finished and home.
Good on ya for finishing, sounds like the conditions were real rough!

Hi mate - I'm not in a run club so can't help you there but I use the Spibelt which they sell at Rebel, works pretty well for me. They look small but can stretch to fit more it, I had my gels and phone in there and barely felt it, has also lasted me like 3 years now as well so decent quality. I'm also a strictly shirted runner so can't help you with that part either!
Get on facebook and search for local road running clubs, or as a parkrun ED, get along to a local parkrun and start chatting to the people there. There's always bound to be some involved in the local run groups.
Thanks both for the run club + belt suggestions, much appreciated!

that sounds rough. congrats on making it to the finish line.

Ran my first half marathon yesterday let’s goooo

Was feeling good on a long run and just figured why stop at 18k when I can just go the distance 🤷‍♂️ 1:51, pretty happy with that time.

30c in Melb tomorrow even in the evening, gonna be a stinker for my intervals

Knee injury continues... Physio today and I've got a referral for an MRI, and also a future MRI bill to stump up about 300 bucks for... Hooray

Only positives are at least I'll get answers and if I've been dealing with a torn meniscus or something I'll try leverage that into making my Melbourne Mara Half sound more impressive 😂

Was up in Sydney over the weekend for a wedding and took my running gear up which I think means I'm addicted :tearsofjoy:

Did the Bay Run on Saturday (double loop) and Sunday morning and bloody hell is Sydney humid compared to Melbourne. I asked a few weeks ago here on thoughts on running shirtless and I reckon 10-20% of guys on the Bay Run weren't wearing a top so I took mine off for the first time on a run and genuinely felt heaps better so I'm glad I've given that a go.

There was also a Gatorade station with free cold Gatorades?! Incredible, especially since they were within the last km of my loop.

Anyone got their eye on any running gear in Black Friday sales? I'm keen to get some running sunnies, and maybe make the plunge to some 3-inch seam shorts if I can find some at a good price.

Anyone got their eye on any running gear in Black Friday sales? I'm keen to get some running sunnies, and maybe make the plunge to some 3-inch seam shorts if I can find some at a good price.

Looking out for a few pairs of shoes, some steigen socks, and maybe some fancy running gear if one of my favourite brands goes on sale even though I don't 'need' more running gear.

Running Warehouse usually does pretty good sales so I'll keep an eye on their website and see what comes up.

absolutely... and I don't actually need anything and am currently injured and not running :tearsofjoy:

Looking out for a few pairs of shoes, some steigen socks, and maybe some fancy running gear if one of my favourite brands goes on sale even though I don't 'need' more running gear.

Running Warehouse usually does pretty good sales so I'll keep an eye on their website and see what comes up.
Thanks for the heads up on the Running Warehouse! Will also keep an eye on them tomorrow.

Oh Black Friday is apparently next week lol. Why have I been getting so many emails from companies saying their black friday sale starts today then haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a 6 month marathon training program, starting from a very low base

Previous history up until about 3-5 years ago was a 10-20km per week runner, 2-4 x 5km runs. Longest run ever was circa 30kms

And then kids came…

Bigger build, 6’1/2 and currently ~105kgs. My footy playing weight at a high level in my 20s was 86-88 kgs, which is what I’d like to get back to. I generally lose weight pretty quickly. I’m currently 36 years old. Running at my current weight leaves me quite sore in the ankles and knees when I do anything over 3kms. Getting under 100kgs is quite important before I tackle the bigger distances and then under 95kgs before increasing distance again

I want to start prepping for the 2024 GC marathon

Appreciate any help!

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a 6 month marathon training program, starting from a very low base

Previous history up until about 3-5 years ago was a 10-20km per week runner, 2-4 x 5km runs. Longest run ever was circa 30kms

And then kids came…

Bigger build, 6’1/2 and currently ~105kgs. My footy playing weight at a high level in my 20s was 86-88 kgs, which is what I’d like to get back to. I generally lose weight pretty quickly. I’m currently 36 years old. Running at my current weight leaves me quite sore in the ankles and knees when I do anything over 3kms. Getting under 100kgs is quite important before I tackle the bigger distances and then under 95kgs before increasing distance again

Appreciate any help!

Maybe do an 18 week novice Hal Highton novice one, then do something a bit harder for the next 12-14 weeks once you’ve got through that one.

Hi everyone!

And then kids came…

Appreciate any help!

Higdon is a really popular one, and if you’re finding it hard on the body early on you can do stuff like swimming and deep water running to build some volume and endurance off your feet

that Higdon program has a 15k long run in week 4. that’s a long way considering his starting point and running 3 days in a row doesn’t seem like a great idea to me with knee/ankle issues.

for what it’s worth Lyyynnnchy i reckon it’s a pretty tough goal you’ve set yourself and I’d forget about the marathon completely for the first 3 months.
start out by getting yourself run fit. get out 3 or 4 times a week (every second day) and run whatever distance you’re comfortable with at a controlled, easy effort with a slightly longer run on the weekend at a slower pace.
when you’re comfortable with that gradually add distance and frequency.
do that for 3 months and see how fit you can get, then look for a more structured 12 week marathon program to get you ready for race day.

disclaimer: Higdon is a guru and I’m a below average hobbyjogger.

Last edited:
that Higdon program has a 15k long run in week 4. that’s a long way considering his starting point and running 3 days in a row doesn’t seem like a great idea to me with knee/ankle issues.

for what it’s worth Lyyynnnchy i reckon it’s a pretty tough goal you’ve set yourself and I’d forget about the marathon completely for the first 3 months.
start out by getting yourself run fit. get out 3 or 4 times a week (every second day) and run whatever distance you’re comfortable with at a controlled, easy effort with a slightly longer run on the weekend at a slower pace.
do that for 3 months and see how fit you can get, then look for a more structured 12 week marathon program to get you ready for race day.

Could also start off with the half marathon program to build up, do the runs as a walk-jog mixture

Another option could be to take his marathon training format e.g. Tues / Wed / Thurs / Sat runs, then start doing some kind of walk / jog / run on each of those days to build up and get the body used to the days you'll be training (fiddle them around to suit your schedule). That's how I built up my running volume, added extra days where initially it might have only been 2km to get the body used to getting out the door and going then adding distance.

I agree with the marathon thoughts here... IMO you want to have a good 18 months to 2 years behind you minimum before tackling a marathon. It's such a tough thing and you need all the experience and strength you can have if you want to do it well and not kill yourself.

Maybe do an 18 week novice Hal Highton novice one, then do something a bit harder for the next 12-14 weeks once you’ve got through that one.

Higdon is a really popular one, and if you’re finding it hard on the body early on you can do stuff like swimming and deep water running to build some volume and endurance off your feet

Could also start off with the half marathon program to build up, do the runs as a walk-jog mixture

Another option could be to take his marathon training format e.g. Tues / Wed / Thurs / Sat runs, then start doing some kind of walk / jog / run on each of those days to build up and get the body used to the days you'll be training (fiddle them around to suit your schedule). That's how I built up my running volume, added extra days where initially it might have only been 2km to get the body used to getting out the door and going then adding distance.

I agree with the marathon thoughts here... IMO you want to have a good 18 months to 2 years behind you minimum before tackling a marathon. It's such a tough thing and you need all the experience and strength you can have if you want to do it well and not kill yourself.
Thanks for your advice everyone

Found a program online that had a slower start and a little longer before hitting those long runs

First one was a 5km run at a “relaxing” speed. Ended up blending to ~7 min/km which felt quite ok. Had little time for stretching and spent the rest of the arvo in a chair in front of a PC though and I’m feeling very stiff already

I’ll report back in a few weeks with how I’m going…or I’ll become addicted and report back daily 😅

nothing over size 9 in stock though

Why Me No GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Got my first half-marathon this Sunday (2XU Wellness Run in Melbourne) and nerves are starting to kick in!!

Did the 10k at the Melb Mara earlier this year so thankfully it's not my first race. But it is my first long-distance race!

Distance-wise I'll be fine, ended up doing a 21k as part of my training so I know I can handle the distance. But keen for any advice on the following:
  • Nutrition the night before - since it's a morning race I'm thinking it makes more sense to carb load for lunch and have a light dinner the night before? Just to limit any potential stomach issues during the race (as someone who takes a dump in the mornings)
  • I've got a weak bladder so often need to pee right before a run (and sometimes for my long runs I need a pee break partway through). Any tips on toilet breaks during a race (or how to avoid them lol)
  • General advice from anyone who's done the 2XU Wellness Run HM would be appreciated! I've run the course before during my training so I know it's flat, and weather conditions are looking good (cool, overcast, light breeze)

Got my first half-marathon this Sunday (2XU Wellness Run in Melbourne) and nerves are starting to kick in!!

Did the 10k at the Melb Mara earlier this year so thankfully it's not my first race. But it is my first long-distance race!

Distance-wise I'll be fine, ended up doing a 21k as part of my training so I know I can handle the distance. But keen for any advice on the following:
  • Nutrition the night before - since it's a morning race I'm thinking it makes more sense to carb load for lunch and have a light dinner the night before? Just to limit any potential stomach issues during the race (as someone who takes a dump in the mornings)
  • I've got a weak bladder so often need to pee right before a run (and sometimes for my long runs I need a pee break partway through). Any tips on toilet breaks during a race (or how to avoid them lol)
  • General advice from anyone who's done the 2XU Wellness Run HM would be appreciated! I've run the course before during my training so I know it's flat, and weather conditions are looking good (cool, overcast, light breeze)

If you've been doing longer runs in training, just eat whatever you normally eat IMO. No need to specifically carb load if you've not tried it before and if you can already run 21.1km on your normal diet you probably don't need to do anything special.

Get up early enough to have some light breakfast that you know will sit will and a coffee / tea to get the bowels moving. If that means getting up at 4 or 4:30am for the 7am race start, get up early, the absolute last thing you want is to be worried about needing to find somewhere for a number two in the half hour before the race start - or during the race. I've always liked porridge or a bagel / toast with peanut butter since I know for me they sit well, go with something you know works for you.

If you need to go during the race then look out for any public toilets along the route or a porta-potty. It happens, don't worry about the time it'll take. If you're dead set for a PB there's always the option of trying to go as you run too....

In 100% humidity, he let go of his bowels and signalled for some damp towels from his crew members.

Hydrate well the day / days prior. Drink plenty on the Saturday, some kind of sports drink (proper one, not gatorade) if possible. Just have a drink bottle and sip on it throughout the day. The morning of the race itself you don't need to drink a whole lot, just enough to not feel actively thirsty. There'll be drinks on-course if you need a sip of water.

I haven't done that course specifically, but like most longer events go out conservatively and ramp it up in the second half once you've settled in, don't get sucked in by the crowd. It's not disastrous for a half like it is for a full marathon but it's pretty unpleasant if you're red lining 5km in and have to hold it all together for another 16.

Most of the work is done in the days leading up to the race; recovery, hydration, fueling. If you don't sleep well the night before don't worry about it, that's common, so long as you've slept well for the rest of the week you'll be just fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back