Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure this interview was on SEN the other day, but this morning 'The Voice of Spurs' James Black was on Whateley's show to talk about his new song 'I'm Loving Big Ange Instead', to the tune of Robbie Williams' Angels and how quickly it caught on amongst Spurs fans, the worldwide popularity of it, his history of performing at Spurs stadium, the impact Ange Postecoglou has had on the club and the team, and more.

He explains how it got to Rob Williams via a mate and 3 or 4 days ago Robbie did his version of it think on Ange's 58th birthday. Black has been performing at Tottenham's home games since 2019 singing some of his own songs, some are soccer ditties as well as covering hit songs by other artists. Ange will feel the heat of the EPL soon. Will be interesting to see how long the goodwill lasts.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One cannot cross to the visitor's section, unfortunately. But he certaily deserved one beer or ten.

I wouldn't miss many games, but it was on February 11th. Great chances of being out of state, with my wife's family.

Big Ange continues to win them over, all around the world it seems.

At a presser before the Liverpool game he talked about growing up as Liverpool fan because they were always on the TV, along with Man U, and his mates went for Man U so he decided to be different. In a longer video from this presser, he talked about Kenny Daglish being his favourite player and hero. ( "It was him and the Fonz mate").

In this clip he says - like any kid he had the posters up on the wall, you know, Liverpool was my team, and you grow up and things change, you know. I used to love Happy Days back then too. I don't have posters of Fonzie on my wall either. So its just the way life is.

Well the Fonz in LA / California responded to Big Ange a couple of days later after Spurs won - asking if he signed a poster would he put it up on his wall? Love the Fair Dinkum at the end.

Last edited:
What a great video - Gus, Ange and Arnie pumping up the boys before taking on the poms at Wembley on Friday night UK time, Saturday morning 5.45am EST.

How to handle stupid questions. Ange continues to smack them to the boundary with good humour and his home ground turning into a night club comment.

The Times reports the inquiry is looking into Chelsea's 'secret transfer-related' payments made by the Blues during Abramovich's time at the club (2003-2022) and, among other checks, will scrutinise the financial transactions of the duo, who signed from Russian outfit Anzhi Makhachkala in August 2013. Brazilian winger Willian joined the Stamford Bridge outfit for £30 million 10 years ago and in the same transfer window former Barcelona striker Eto'o followed suit. In addition to this, the report claims that financial records indicate that payments may have been made to 'Russian entities' that were separate to any transfer fee. The payments were uncovered during the due diligence process that was undertaken by Todd Boehly's Clearlake Capital consortium when they were buying the club from Abramovich in 2022.

THE BIGGER PICTURE: Chelsea's current ownership made it clear this is something that pre-dates them but the alleged payments, which reportedly are in the seven figure mark, appear not to have been registered as part of the club’s annual financial reporting to the FA, Premier League and UEFA - which would be in breach of their rules. The Blues have already agreed a €10 million (£8.57 million) settlement with UEFA to cover Financial Fair Play rule breaches. But more sanctions could come their way, potentially in the form of a points deduction or a transfer ban.

SBS today announced they have won hosting rights to all 104 games at the 2026 WC in USA, Canada, and Mexico.

Yes 104 games. 64 games has been the norm in WCs that have had 32 teams since being introduced in 1998.

12 groups of 4 means 72 group phase games will be played instead of current 48 games with 32 teams. So there is 24 of the extra games. The top 2 teams in each group advance plus the best 8 3rd placed teams in the 12 groups to a knock out phase of 32. That's where the other 16 games get introduced, so have knock out 32 teams , then 16, then 8 in the QFs, then 4 in SFs and the 3rd place game and Final gets you to 104 games.

Question is does SBS flog off some games to Optus Sports like it did for 2018 but was a disaster for Optus, or does broadcast all the games but pinch some of the staff and personalities from Optus and beIN Sports like they did for Qatar??

How much did they pay??

SMH today

A senior network source familiar with the bidding process, not authorised to speak publicly, said the deal is worth $30 million – a larger figure than the two previous tournaments. SBS declined to comment on the cost of acquiring the rights.

The tournament attracted interest from all free-to-air networks and Optus Sport, SBS ultimately emerging the victor.

A 7pm kick-off in Los Angeles would air at midday in Australia’s eastern states, while a 7pm game in New York City would air at 9am.

SMH in August after Women's World Cup

Australia’s free-to-air networks are expected to battle it out for the rights to the FIFA Men’s World Cup in 2026 following the success of the women’s tournament. FIFA executives in Australia for the blockbuster Women’s World Cup are set to brief the nation’s free-to-air networks this week, a media executive with knowledge of the process but not permitted to speak publicly said. An official process is expected to take place in the coming months.

SBS first gained the rights in 1990. The most recent two tournaments, in Russia and Qatar, were snagged by the broadcaster in 2011 for $20 million each, but it subsequently sublicensed its rights in 2018 to Optus Sport, which infamously botched the broadcast.

With Australians watching the Matildas this year in record numbers, the 2026 World Cup, to be held in Canada, Mexico and the US, is now set to attract bumper interest as Australia’s commercial networks realise the potential audience and advertiser interest in the sport.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back