Game Day Round 9 vs. WCE, Marvel, 1:00pm Sun 12/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d play both Reef and Kreuger, as with all of Beau, Schultz and Checkers out we will be missing serious physicality up forward.

Personally, I wouldn’t really see the point in throwing a back forward for a week when we will have the same issue re Checkers in the 2-3 games following. I’d prefer to keep some continuity in our backline.

Freddy would probably be a little underdone but all he has to do is hit the contest and bring the ball to ground and offer some pressure - who knows, he might surprise some.

Reef, Kreuger and Sullivan into the 22 then give Fin or Bytel a crack at the sub role.

Didnt kreuger get 4 touches in the vfl?

Perhaps...I'm just not keen on messing with our backline now that it seems to be working so well.
I think we need Howe to do a job on MacGovern.

Which I think would mean Dean, WHE or TJ in defence.

The coaches are going to have to get creative.

I think we need Howe to do a job on MacGovern.

Which I think would mean Dean, WHE or TJ in defence.

The coaches are going to have to get creative.
I reckon TJ would get more isolated and exposed by oppo teams than Khamis currently is. Upside of WHE and Howe is they are interchangeable I guess

I reckon TJ would get more isolated and exposed by oppo teams than Khamis currently is. Upside of WHE and Howe is they are interchangeable I guess
Yeah. I can't see it happening. But if it did it'd be Bruzzy playing Howes role and TJ playing small. Shame Ryan hasn't been playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dean comes in though to release Howe forward.

Wow, Yeo and Waterman out for WCE - their two most in-form and impactful players. They have been cursed by injury over the past few years. I almost feel a bit sorry for their supporters. Almost.

If we're truly back on track for a deep finals run, then we need to win this conclusively.

OUT - McCreery (inj), Schultz (dumb)
IN - McInnes, Bytel/Macrae

Full games please for Sullivan and Harrison.

My preference is to give Bytel a run as the sub, in case he can come in and have immediate impact, just like Harrison and Sullivan. But our selectors will probably go with the safe/bland option of Macrae again.
I think Macrae had his chance, they’ll give Bytel a run before him Imo.

We played frampton forward in grand final because AJ and mcstay were out
Then we lost Murphy so Howe played on hipwood as key defender
We can do this again by either throwing Billy forward or Howe forward with one of them back with Moore

Adam Simpson said on 360 Elliot Yeo's issue is a small groin

The more I think about selection the more genuine options there actually are.

Part of me says leave the backline alone because it's working and you can move Howe or Frampton forward if the game needs it.

Another part of me says start Frampton forward on McGovern.

Either way I think WHE plays forward alongside Reef and becomes one of our main targets. The fact we've still got Cox FF with Elliott and Hill will make for a versatile forward line nonetheless.

Not sure TJ needs to be in the team yet. He's a longer term prospect that probably doesn't need to be thrown in the deep end yet although if he did play it wouldn't surprise anyone to see him do some nice things.

Yeah. I can't see it happening. But if it did it'd be Bruzzy playing Howes role and TJ playing small. Shame Ryan hasn't been playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dean comes in though to release Howe forward.
I think this is the most sensible path, particularly given Checkers is out multiple games & we’ve got to deal with McGovern.

Frampton -> Williams
Moore -> Darling
Dean -> Maric (who I assume will replace Waterman)

The more I think about selection the more genuine options there actually are.

Part of me says leave the backline alone because it's working and you can move Howe or Frampton forward if the game needs it.

Another part of me says start Frampton forward on McGovern.

Either way I think WHE plays forward alongside Reef and becomes one of our main targets. The fact we've still got Cox FF with Elliott and Hill will make for a versatile forward line nonetheless.

Not sure TJ needs to be in the team yet. He's a longer term prospect that probably doesn't need to be thrown in the deep end yet although if he did play it wouldn't surprise anyone to see him do some nice things.

Agree lots of options. Others include AJ forward or here’s a left field one… begg comes in to second ruck and cox is a stay at home full forward

Dean coming in to release Howe forward

I don’t want frampton to leave the backline though

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Physically? In terms of size, weight, frame etc? Yeah Nathan is “made of glass” so to speak but he’s physically bigger and stronger than Reef and better equipped to be the main target in the forward line

Not sure we’d be doing Reef’s development any favours making him play the role Checkers does
Not sure why it has to be either or considering we were already a key forward short and we have three forwards coming out.

Danger game? what what is a danger game , another term bandied around with repetiveness that is quite annoying as it is dragged out by someone every bloody week. ( It is more annoying than my pet hate of those who keep writing would OF instead of Would've which is short for would HAVE - the correct words ) I am gusesing it means a game that you might lose when you dont expect it. Every game then , by definition, is a danger game, as no team goes into a game "expecting" to lose. If Pies lose against Weagles , its not because it is a danger game, it will be because they played crap , and went away from all that they have done in past 4 weeks ... and it is not a massive test Weagles are getting better but are still weak adn have lost their two best players for this year, you play the game plan well, and you win , doesnt matter by how much .. Complacent? why would they be Complacent?
Agree, why would they be complacent? …. afterall, this is a danger game. ;)

Last edited:
Not sure why it has to be either or considering we were already a key forward short and we have three forwards coming out.

I’d have no issue playing both

I just don’t think we should have Reef alone playing Mihocek’s role

Wouldn't Harrison play the McCreery role? He has the speed, and he's quite a strong tackler, as we saw against the "Bloos"......
I'd go with:
Howe for Checkers.
Reef into Elliott's role
Elliott and Harrison into Beau and Schultz's spots
WHE+Cox + Hill same roles.

Dean for Howe in defence.

Sullivan into the 22

Bytel, Macrae or Richards as sub.

I think Macrae had his chance, they’ll give Bytel a run before him Imo.
I hope so. Let's see what Bytel can do. Harrison and Sullivan have certainly shown that you don't need a prolonged, multi-game exposure to have an impact. When their chances came, they grabbed them as though their futures depended on it.

For whatever reasons, Fin hasn't managed to do the same, nor shown any real glimpses of big weapons or X-factor to make the coaches/selectors want to persevere with him.

I don’t think we will change the backline and move Howe forward. Too risky to upset an effective combination.

I think Reef will come in and WHE will play as a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back