Game Day Round 9 -v- the Swans - Lance Franklin Farewell on Mother's Day Eve!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
So another BpG preview, this time very late, sorry folks!!
Mother's Day shopping had to take priority early this week, can't leave that stuff to the last minute can we...

2023 Stats comparison
1683886818336.png
They have more scoring shots, make more tackles, have more contested possies and more inside 50s.
WE WIN THE HANDBALLLLZZZZZ, YAAAYYYY USSSSSS!!!

More importantly, they take more inside 50 marks, and need fewer possessions per goal attempt, but turn the ball over more than we do.
We tackle more inside our own 50 (thank you Hawtank).

So, some key players...
Both Luke Parker and Jakey Lloyd love playing against us, regularly getting 23 or more disposals against us.

Conversely, our young brigade really love playing the Swans, with Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong all enjoying the chance to meet the Swans.

Hard to believe but it is our first trip to the SCG for a regular game since 2018!! Especially hard to believe as in the early 2000s they seemed to have us locked in at the SCG(or that godawful Homebush stadium) - Freo played 5 in a row in Sydney from 2005 - 2008, and then another 5 of 6 in Sydney from 2011-1014. That was a great period for some of us east coast Freo fans to get a chance to see regular Freo games - if only I could be there to see us this weekend!!

Not to fear though, that 2011 game was really the coming of Nat Fyfe, who burst out with 31 possies and really drove the win. Plus a great draw in 2013!!

Swans Old Boys
We recruited 3 players from the Swans in our first ever squad - John Hutton, Scott Watters and Andrew McGovern. We've added Brett Kirk as an assistant coach for a few years, but the only other player to play for both is the great Troy Cook!!

They were really the only bunnies we had in the early years, when we won our first five games against the Edddddllesten Swannies in the 90s.What makes that especially amazing is the Swannies played in the Grand Final in 1996!! Since the early years, the Swans have taken the lead overall, and they especially love playing us at the SCG (13 wins, 1 draw, 4 Freo wins).

A special game...
What makes this week's game even more special for me is the last chance to see us play Lance Franklin, and on Mother's Day weekend, given my dear old Mum is a die hard South Melbourne / Sydney fan from the old days.

We are the club he has the most career clearances (4) and the most inside 50s (10) in a single game - both in the same game in 2017, when he also kicked 4 goals!! Appropriate given both our clubs have such great records of supporting indigenous players and developing footballers.

Good luck to everyone lucky enough to get to the SCG - it is wonderful how the Swans have really turned that into a great AFL atmosphere, compared to the bland dusty windy empty vat it was in 1995. May the best team win!!

Last edited:

Absolutely. I really don't think the odds are right for this one

Maybe because Freo don't play the SCG that well. I understand Sydney are a little short down back but we don't have threatening key forwards.

I think Shultz will be a late out.

Both Hughes and Banfield worry me.

Maybe I'm just frustrated about this season

Maybe because Freo don't play the SCG that well. I understand Sydney are a little short down back but we don't have threatening key forwards.

I think Shultz will be a late out.

Both Hughes and Banfield worry me.

Maybe I'm just frustrated about this season
Something we have in common, being frustrated with the season.

And let's be honest, Swans aren't playing the SCG well this year. I expect a low scoring snoozefest for this game from both sides

Something we have in common, being frustrated with the season.

And let's be honest, Swans aren't playing the SCG well this year. I expect a low scoring snoozefest for this game from both sides

Yeah could very well be boring

All the best mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So another BpG preview, this time very late, sorry folks!!
Mother's Day shopping had to take priority early this week, can't leave that stuff to the last minute can we...

2023 Stats comparison
View attachment 1685490
They have more scoring shots, make more tackles, have more contested possies and more inside 50s.
WE WIN THE HANDBALLLLZZZZZ, YAAAYYYY USSSSSS!!!

More importantly, they take more inside 50 marks, and need fewer possessions per goal attempt, but turn the ball over more than we do.
We tackle more inside our own 50 (thank you Hawtank).

So, some key players...
Both Luke Parker and Jakey Lloyd love playing against us, regularly getting 23 or more disposals against us.

Conversely, our young brigade really love playing the Swans, with Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong all enjoying the chance to meet the Swans.

Hard to believe but it is our first trip to the SCG for a regular game since 2018!! Especially hard to believe as in the early 2000s they seemed to have us locked in at the SCG(or that godawful Homebush stadium) - Freo played 5 in a row in Sydney from 2005 - 2008, and then another 5 of 6 in Sydney from 2011-1014. That was a great period for some of us east coast Freo fans to get a chance to see regular Freo games - if only I could be there to see us this weekend!!

Not to fear though, that 2011 game was really the coming of Nat Fyfe, who burst out with 31 possies and really drove the win. Plus a great draw in 2013!!

Swans Old Boys
We recruited 3 players from the Swans in our first ever squad - John Hutton, Scott Watters and Andrew McGovern. We've added Brett Kirk as an assistant coach for a few years, but the only other player to play for both is the great Troy Cook!!

They were really the only bunnies we had in the early years, when we won our first five games against the Edddddllesten Swannies in the 90s.What makes that especially amazing is the Swannies played in the Grand Final in 1996!! Since the early years, the Swans have taken the lead overall, and they especially love playing us at the SCG (13 wins, 1 draw, 4 Freo wins).

A special game...
What makes this week's game even more special for me is the last chance to see us play Lance Franklin, and on Mother's Day weekend, given my dear old Mum is a die hard South Melbourne / Sydney fan from the old days.

We are the club he has the most career clearances (4) and the most inside 50s (10) in a single game - both in the same game in 2017, when he also kicked 4 goals!! Appropriate given both our clubs have such great records of supporting indigenous players and developing footballers.

Good luck to everyone lucky enough to get to the SCG - it is wonderful how the Swans have really turned that into a great AFL atmosphere, compared to the bland dusty windy empty vat it was in 1995. May the best team win!!

Hello. Terrific preview. Hope it is a great game and there are no serious injuries to either Club.

Personally I reckon there should be an award struck for the most courageous player in our games. Troy Cook exemplified the never say die attitude of both Clubs.

Beyond the great Troy Cook there are some great connections between South Melbourne and both East and South Freo.

“Blue” Beard won a Premiership with SM in 1933 before returning to WA to play and coach at East iirc. His son won a Sandover.

One of my favourite old Bloods players was Eric Sarich. Eric was one of the toughest blokes I saw play footy. Two then fair shirt fronts broke Barassi and Barry Pascoe collar bones. Barry’s older brother Bob Pascoe was a mongrel ruckman. One day he tried to kick Sarich only succeeding in breaking his leg. Eric would now be well into his 80s and I imagine is a mad Freo fan.

I hope we are the team that scrubs out the possibility of limping to the bye with 3 wins by winning today. I’ll be watching the contested possession and clearance numbers as closely as the score. Fingers crossed. Can we play our ‘brand’ (which is as far as I can tell: quick handball chains out of stoppages, hitting players in the corridor with risky kicks off half back, periods of controlling possession and going slow) can it come off against stronger opponents?

Woke up feeling less confident than yesterday lol

My concerns are papley, buddy, worner..

What's the weather like today in sydney

I feel like we are going to play Swans back into form unfortunately. :straining:

Smashing hawks has some forgetting how badly we have played much of this season.

Woke up feeling less confident than yesterday lol

My concerns are papley, buddy, worner..

What's the weather like today in sydney
It‘s mild and sunny, but there’s a bit of cloud about and a chance of showers later in the day.

fully intended to make the trek to the SCG today - trying tick off seeing us play at each away stadium, one game at a time (still need MCG, Gabba, SCG, Giants stadium at Olympic Park - don’t count Tassie and NT) - but I tripped on the street yesterday and badly bruised both my knees. 😡 so will have to see them when they come back later this year and watch today’s game from home.

Sydney folk, do we know if this game is on FTA live ? And are we using this preview thread as our game day thread?

going on full #eco mode.#eco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back