Preview Round 9: Essendon vs The Orange Team, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get wanting to maintain some consistency with the playing group, but we aren't a perfect side. We should still be aiming to get better. Winning shouldn't automatically make guys undroppable. There seems to be an outlook that playing young guys will hurt the team.

I'm also absolutely not calling for us to bring in five 20 year olds.

But Roberts, as an example, absolutely has the form - and he would have been a like for like replacement (for Duurs). Instead, we bring in an out of form, almost 30 year old half back flanker. I can't see how it makes the team better now, nor in the future.
Has Roberts ticked all the defensive boxes yet ? That is the question. Good form yea but I suspect they are still working on a couple of defensive running things.

Concrete statements. He won't debut. Form doesn't matter.
That's it? Mate we both know if you're going to get pissy everytime states their opinion as a concrete statement you're going to get pissy a lot.

What messages does it send if you drop a guy from a winning side for a bloke who has played 4 VFL games and didn’t play last week ?
My experience in coaching says it is a way to erode what you re building.
We do not know what set KPI’s are or are not being set by the players.
In my original post I said the VFL bye made it a moot point for this week. I'm talking about subbing out a guy out of form for one who's in form, as a matter of principle.

I disagree with your suggestion that you don't make that kind of change if the team is winning, which you've chosen to support with hyperbole, saying it would "mess up" and be a "wrecking ball." I never mentioned wholesale changes.

I take your point re: KPIs.

I get wanting to maintain some consistency with the playing group, but we aren't a perfect side. We should still be aiming to get better. Winning shouldn't automatically make guys undroppable. There seems to be an outlook that playing young guys will hurt the team.

I'm also absolutely not calling for us to bring in five 20 year olds.

But Roberts, as an example, absolutely has the form - and he would have been a like for like replacement (for Duurs). Instead, we bring in an out of form, almost 30 year old half back flanker. I can't see how it makes the team better now, nor in the future.
I think hind is a lock for sub. As such they see it as doubling a young players game time in Hobbs.
Against orange I like the idea of a mature sub.

Playing kids is all well and good so long as they're playing in the actual position they need to be in, and are in form.

GWS off a VFL bye is probably not the best time to be bringing a debutant in if you don't absolutely need to, so whilst I would have liked to see Roberts in, if he plays a solid game in the VFL this week and debuts next week against North I think it's fine. Similar for Hayes.

We're still playing a significant amount of guys U24:

1. Caldwell
  2. Jones
  3. Martin
  4. Durham
  5. Cox
  6. Perkins
  7. Hobbs
  8. Davey
Following this game we have:

North
Richmond
Gold Coast
Carlton
Bye

My hope is that we see Roberts and Hayes put in a good game at VFL level this weekend and get a shot in that run.
Agreed

In my original post I said the VFL bye made it a moot point for this week. I'm talking about subbing out a guy out of form for one who's in form, as a matter of principle.

I disagree with your suggestion that you don't make that kind of change if the team is winning, which you've chosen to support with hyperbole, saying it would "mess up" and be a "wrecking ball." I never mentioned wholesale changes.

I take your point re: KPIs.
Hyperbole?
Just used my own experience at observing and working with coaches that won division 1 premierships .
10 years. Multiple senior/ reserve/ under 18 premierships.
Not just some sort of random comment.

It could be that or it could be they would prefer Hayes play a full vfl game rather than sitting at Marvel as an emergency
Yep . Much better for Hayes to be playing.

Bullshit.

Dropping Davey is something that would be well warranted but he’s obviously trying to get games into him.

Let’s not get sucked in to this meme.

For which fit small mature forward? We don't have one. Not a choice. We have one fit mature player outside of the team in Shiel and he likely isn't at full fitness given his time out of the game.

You've also got Goldstein who looked tired as last week and lost the ruck battle to Bailey Williams.

He clearly has a style. Some may say justified, but I look at the best teams in the competition and they are doing it a different way. Most of them having debuted nearly 4 times the kids we have in the last 2 years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Phillips, Tsatas, Zerk-Thatcher, Draper, Menzie
ESSENDON INS: McKay, Gresham, Jones, Goldstein, Davey

GWS GIANTS OUTS: Cumming, Brown, Lloyd, Keeffe, Fahey, McMullin
GWS GIANTS INS: Thomas, Cadman, Haynes, Callaghan, Jones, Stone

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Phillips, Tsatas, Zerk-Thatcher, Draper, Menzie
ESSENDON INS: McKay, Gresham, Jones, Goldstein, Davey

GWS GIANTS OUTS: Cumming, Brown, Lloyd, Keeffe, Fahey, McMullin
GWS GIANTS INS: Thomas, Cadman, Haynes, Callaghan, Jones, Stone

Much stronger.

Goldstein better than Phillips
Jones better than Draper
McKay better than Zero
Davey better than Menzies
Gresham better than Tsatas.

For which fit small mature forward? We don't have one. Not a choice. We have one fit mature player outside of the team in Shiel and he likely isn't at full fitness given his time out of the game.

You've also got Goldstein who looked tired as last week and lost the ruck battle to Bailey Williams.

He clearly has a style. Some may say justified, but I look at the best teams in the competition and they are doing it a different way. Most of them having debuted nearly 4 times the kids we have in the last 2 years.
Maybe they have drafted better kids.

err no I believe he has changed the structure of the forward line many times during the season.
The guelfi postion has been played around with, due to his injury, either filled by a small or marking player. 1 of or both of Menzie or Davey have played every game. Every structure Scott has run with; has had that base pressure forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back