Autopsy Round 8 vs Melbourne @ The Bank - 06/05/23 - 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel? Replay?
Was on triple m.

He started in the 3rd/4th quarter after suns were penalised for deliberate and ramped up with free kick to Gawn in goal square (calling for petty to be suspended for staging), Ballard getting whacked (but no 50), swallow and chol non frees.

not sure whether a replay is available.

I really enjoyed/ absolutely hated the game.
I loved watching the connections between all the lines and the continuous chase and fight.
This is the game that made me lose my voice.
I hated the umpiring. I was screaming at the maggots and cheering for our mighty Suns.
I know we've started poorly but if that effort continues for the rest of the year we'll win more than we lose.
The atmosphere at the ground in the last was amazing.
Wish it would happen every game

I’m as angry as the next fan.

Also think a few players will be kicking themselves for a few choices in the last five minutes. Game was there to be won. We can blame the umps, and I do, but we also had our chances.

Can’t fault the effort, at all. Might be a few forced changes with injuries, but plenty of players had their moments in the game to try and turn that tide.

Anderson and Rowell put this team on their back and nearly got us there.

Liked parts of Davie’s game late, even if he was sketchy early. Same with Humphrey.

Berry was solid without being amazing, but he is certainly a solid pressure forward with a bit of speed.

Rosas finally hit the scoreboard with some crumbing.

I know people are down on Chol, but he (and the other talls) still kicked 2 goals, and he had a lot of almost marks. I felt he was stiff all game as well from the umps—non-payed marks, holding and push in the backs. He looked pissed!

The atmosphere at the game was great! One of the better games I’ve been too (besides the final score!)

Atmosphere at our games have definitely improved in the last 2 years as crowds and competitive increased

And regarding the umpiring

I'm a Foundation member like most of us here
14 long mostly ugly years
Up until tonight I don't think the umpiring has affected the outcome of any game I've been to
Yeah I used to bag Mr baldy but the truth was we were a bad team and the other team usually deserved to win
If we had won tonight like I honestly think we should have I think I could have hung up my membership card and retired happy

I'm a Foundation member like most of us here
14 long mostly ugly years
Up until tonight I don't think the umpiring has affected the outcome of any game I've been to
Yeah I used to bag Mr baldy but the truth was we were a bad team and the other team usually deserved to win
If we had won tonight like I honestly think we should have I think I could have hung up my membership card and retired happy

It's so demoralising.

I guess, to look on the positive side of things, we still didn’t play overly well yet more than matched one of the premier teams with one of the best midfields in the comp.

Positives
  • Noz is now a genuine star. 37 touches, 11 clearances, a massive goal, and absolutely ran himself into the ground willing the team on. Captain in waiting.
  • Rowell forms an incredible 1-2 midfield punch. 11 clearances of his own and should have had 3-4 more free kicks in the contest.
  • a fit Powell is showing us the star he is. Has given a new found confidence to Collins and Ballard having someone you can trust to chop plays off.
  • Witts a massive effort to hold his own against Gawn/Grundy
  • love Humphreys
  • Rosas ran his ass off all game and was rewarded.
  • Berry’s speed and pressure will get him games.
  • Atkins isn’t a spud.
  • Davies can be a part of our midfield going forward with more time in there.

Negatives
  • composure of our back line cost us the game.
  • Red time goals.
  • he got a bit of it, but not sure where Flanders fits long term.

The lads are on their way back from Heritage Bank to Melbourne to collect their brown paper bags after a 4 quarter effort.
It's snowing at Buller
The umpires will be meeting up with their MFC member chums for a hot toddy and some daisy chain action at Grimus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so demoralising.
Why? I am actually more optimistic about the season now than before the game. We showed something pretty special and should believe we are a good team. That determination, coming back again and again was impressive. Wish we had Demons under score board pressure.

It was a great game and we took it one of the best teams, who play well. Most of the game we dominated in contest, inside. Turnovers killed us from some costly mistakes. I still can't believe that Powell cost us 3 goals. Just a bit more composure and we had them despite that shit from umpires.

Looking forward to the rest of season :p

Last edited:
Probably cold comfort, but on our Lions board and the Main board, there is almost universal agreement that the Suns were badly ripped off by the worst and most gutless umpiring display in living memory.

I say "almost" because there are a few delusional Dees contributors that reckon the umpiring was just fine:thumbsdown:

EDIT: This "put the whistle"way at the end of a close game is a total cop out, especially as they often make whistle happy momentum changing decisions during the rest of the game. Not only that, but the "highly regarded" teams exploit the situation with blatant rule breaking ,essentially daring the umpires to make a decision that might decide the game.

As much as he has his critics, an umpire like Razor Ray at least has the courage to make crucial, even "unpopular" calls if that's what he thinks he sees.

Unfortunately , we often get the B grade umps up north who invariably are like deers in the headlights. particularly if the big Vic club favourites end up in a close game.

I think if you had better quality umpires , you win that game.

Last edited:
I guess, to look on the positive side of things, we still didn’t play overly well yet more than matched one of the premier teams with one of the best midfields in the comp.

Positives
  • Noz is now a genuine star. 37 touches, 11 clearances, a massive goal, and absolutely ran himself into the ground willing the team on. Captain in waiting.
  • Rowell forms an incredible 1-2 midfield punch. 11 clearances of his own and should have had 3-4 more free kicks in the contest.
  • a fit Powell is showing us the star he is. Has given a new found confidence to Collins and Ballard having someone you can trust to chop plays off.
  • Witts a massive effort to hold his own against Gawn/Grundy
  • love Humphreys
  • Rosas ran his ass off all game and was rewarded.
  • Berry’s speed and pressure will get him games.
  • Atkins isn’t a spud.
  • Davies can be a part of our midfield going forward with more time in there.

Negatives
  • composure of our back line cost us the game.
  • Red time goals.
  • he got a bit of it, but not sure where Flanders fits long term.
I thought 🐻 was non-existent in the first half and had him heading to VFL but as game progressed after HT he showed he will be a special player (probably).

Most Demons scores were from turnovers. Some bad ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back