Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Great that you got there H.

I was absolutely gobsmacked when the attendance figure was posted.

27K........incredible.

I was expecting a sub 20 number........15K to about 20K if we were lucky.

Lucky I was sitting in between 2 loud Sainters or I would've fallen off my seat.
Yeah a solid effort by our fans. It was a really good vibe at the ground I thought.

Just too slow and lacking agility to ever be a full time midfielder. Still probably has another growth spurt left him so will most like never be a full time mid. Just doesn't have the attributes.
Rubbish and wrong you ever seen Cripps play midfield. Treacle smoke as they say.

As for those North supporters, why they feel the need to degrade us, a fellow battling club that have been to hell and back ourselves, is a pretty strange study in human behaviour. Like I said, I have some sympathy, but after reading some of the comments maybe they can get stuffed.
Hear Hear !!!!!!!!

Stuff em !!!!!!!

I've had some care for North over the years, but these last 2-3, especially on here, are just poor-quality supporters, While I don't wish they fold, I'd be very happy to see them mired for a few more.

There attack on Jimmy, like their players, were and are, pretty lame
In was in a way,"fair play" with the sparring between the 2 supporter groups.

Haven't heard it for quite a few years.

North's were as you say MM....pretty lame.

But the Saints fans ramped it up a several notches with the cheering....I don't know how it came across on the TV,but was very loud around us.

I don't think he was a liability, even if his running was hampered he got all the attention and opened plenty of holes for the likes of Hayes to work into

I agree. Draws lots of attention even if he gets nowhere near it. That opens things up for others.

However, the coaching group need to work out how to address his weaknesses. The major one is his inability to hold ground. In marking contests he gets moved off the line way too easily and not sure there is any easy fix for that, he simply doesn’t have the upper body strength to match the big defenders. He’s go to start playing more of a lead up game or move up the ground and maybe play a Riewoldt type game. Not sure he has the tank for that unfortunately.

Hayes looked great and should help the King problem. For me, Hayes is in, Membrey is out, King gets another chance or two.

He has kicked 6 on multiple occasions,

Sharman has kicked a bag of goals on multiple occasions, should we allow him to take the key marquee forward postion and mope around the field with poor attitude?

King is expected to behave on a football field like the the 4DP he is, he is meant to have an elite attitud. That is the point. Excuse time has come to an end surely.

Just too slow and lacking agility to ever be a full time midfielder. Still probably has another growth spurt left him so will most like never be a full time mid. Just doesn't have the attributes.
Seriously, what are you talking about? He’s nearly 21. Most males stop getting taller at 16. 18 is an outlier.

Owen’s is not going to get any taller. He is 191 and will stay that way.

Rubbish and wrong you ever seen Cripps play midfield. Treacle smoke as they say.

Why are we comparing an averaged skilled player with a generational player?

I get the desire for him Mitch to be that type but it's fairly obvious he's not the elite type.

To illustrate my point compare Wilson's game 8 yesterday, you can tell he could possibly be a generational type only after 8 games, who has ever thought that with Mitch other than a few looney Saints fans.

Another illustration, Windy has full time midfielder written all over him, his game against the Pies is his current benchmark, what Windy delivered against the Pies
Is what you want in your midfield full time

Mitch is anything but a full time midfielder, he is possibly the type that can hit midfield contest in bursts, which is pretty much expected of most players these days.

Midfield bull ....beast.....blah blah...blah...overrated at this stage and a long way to go in his development.

Why was Hastie subbed out instead of him . Seb Ross surprised me, his best game for some time. Hill filling his quota of clangers again. He is so hot & cold.
Hasties goal....what a ripper....we were sitting right behind the flight of the ball.

And just how good was it to see all the team celebrate with him....the crowd was going absolutely nuts !!!!!!.

Re my earlier comments on Hilly's laser style kick to his uncle in the crowd.

But.....his goal a little later was:

REDEMPTION...!!!!!!

Love it.

What a night !!!!!!

We belted out the club song 2-3 times and the crowd was getting into Robbie William's song "Angel"......... that song sends a shiver done my spine.

After all...it was our first home win in 8 rounds....you gotta celebrate...!!!!!

LDU looks checked out, probably feeling like Ben Mckay. If he is gone next year he is exactly what we need.

We didn't have a recognised small forward today and we were going through the motions and we still easily accounted for North. I think they might be the biggest basket case I've seen since Melbourne 09-11

He got tagged and struggled to break it. Sides are putting time into him after last year.

Was at the game yesterday and watched King very closely off the ball.

I’ve watched the replay this morning and understand the criticism of him - looked really bad on tv. And probably at the game if just watching the game as normal not off the ball.

The treatment of King off the ball was the worst I’ve seen in a game. At times, King looked ‘uncompetitive’ because he would go to start a lead and we would kick it in his direction, but as he went to take off he would be blatantly held around the waist and pulled back, ‘slingshotting’ Corr to the front of the contest and making King look awful. His jumper was constantly held and the arms around were ridiculous.

When North had time to clog, two opponents would do this to King. One would have eyes off the ball and block him front on as he went to take off, while the other held around the waist.

I don’t want to see bullshit frees paid resulting in goals when there’s barely a hold and hear the commentators say ‘arms around will always be a cue for a free kick’ again. They pluck them out but miss 1,000 other arms around.

The 4 umpires are meant to be able to spot the off the ball frees, the ones happening a kick away from play. What happened yesterday was cheating and it simply didn’t get stamped out.

Granted, King got very frustrated and will need to learn to compete through the treatment. But I promise you all having watched it closely, the treatment was disgraceful and didn’t give him the chance to run and jump and compete. Could’ve had 6 goals if officiated correctly.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we contact AFL House quietly during the week.

Well done Hayes for taking advantage of the extra space this all created.

Wilson was extraordinary. Looking forward to his career.

The other side to Owens' more flashy traits is his explosiveness across the ground. He showcases a terrific turn of speed when powering away from stoppages and isn't afraid to dish out a fend-off. Combined with that straight-line speed is his agility, which helps him get out of tight spots with little shifts either way to make would-be tacklers look silly and keep the play alive.

Thats from his draft profile, is he really that slow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe read some biology books

You need to do some reading.

Was at the game yesterday and watched King very closely off the ball.

I’ve watched the replay this morning and understand the criticism of him - looked really bad on tv. And probably at the game if just watching the game as normal not off the ball.

The treatment of King off the ball was the worst I’ve seen in a game. At times, King looked ‘uncompetitive’ because he would go to start a lead and we would kick it in his direction, but as he went to take off he would be blatantly held around the waist and pulled back, ‘slingshotting’ Corr to the front of the contest and making King look awful. His jumper was constantly held and the arms around were ridiculous.

When North had time to clog, two opponents would do this to King. One would have eyes off the ball and block him front on as he went to take off, while the other held around the waist.

I don’t want to see bullshit frees paid resulting in goals when there’s barely a hold and hear the commentators say ‘arms around will always be a cue for a free kick’ again. They pluck them out but miss 1,000 other arms around.

The 4 umpires are meant to be able to spot the off the ball frees, the ones happening a kick away from play. What happened yesterday was cheating and it simply didn’t get stamped out.

Granted, King got very frustrated and will need to learn to compete through the treatment. But I promise you all having watched it closely, the treatment was disgraceful and didn’t give him the chance to run and jump and compete. Could’ve had 6 goals if officiated correctly.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we contact AFL House quietly during the week.

Well done Hayes for taking advantage of the extra space this all created.

Wilson was extraordinary. Looking forward to his career.
It was very evident at the game. I thought he could have had a handful of shots on goal through free kicks. Some of the umpires non calls last night were the worst I’ve seen, does holding the ball still exist?

The other side to Owens' more flashy traits is his explosiveness across the ground. He showcases a terrific turn of speed when powering away from stoppages and isn't afraid to dish out a fend-off. Combined with that straight-line speed is his agility, which helps him get out of tight spots with little shifts either way to make would-be tacklers look silly and keep the play alive.

Thats from his draft profile, is he really that slow?

That was then, wouldn't be the first player to go through significant growth spurts and lose attributes, he a massice unit these days and looks sluggish is my point and doesn't look anything like a full time midfielder is the point I'm making, too sluggish to be a full time midfielder...you need to be a little zippy for that full time midfielder role, he's almost growing into a KPP and possibly has one more growth spurt left in him which can still happen around the 21 year old mark

Sharman has kicked a bag of goals on multiple occasions, should we allow him to take the key marquee forward postion and mope around the field with poor attitude?

King is expected to behave on a football field like the the 4DP he is, he is meant to have an elite attitud. That is the point. Excuse time has come to an end surely.
So it's his attitude that's the issue now? Because before you said he may have reached his ceiling. No idea why you'd bring up Sharman but he hasn't kicked 6 in a game as far as I can remember and definitely not on multiple occasions.

But of course that's probably because your comment of "King may have reached his ceiling" is fairly silly so now you've shifted the goalposts and it's in fact the attitude that's the problem.

Yeah he had a poor game and looked frustrated but I just reckon it's a bit of a loser mentality to pile onto him every time he is poor when we know he'll inevitably turn it around. You just seem to enjoy criticising him.

I'll spin it another way for you. He is our most important player going forward and our best chance of actually doing something of note. When at his best he can look unstoppable and can win games off his own boot. If we were to trade him like some have suggested we'd be the laughing stock of the AFL.

But yes, let's kick the crap out of him after a poor game where he was getting held nearly every time the ball went in his vicinity. That will make us all feel better about ourselves I'm sure. And yeah let's trade him for a million high draft picks so we can be like North.

You need to do some reading.
Oh gosh, a nano second Google search for a headline and then copy paste is not reading and comprehension...

How beautiful was that Hill goal, where he baulked the player inside 50 settled and goaled. It finished off a lovely move. He was outstanding again, another player that used to cop it weekly from our supporters.
except for the 2 kicks where he tried to be cute and pinpoint a player which then caused 2 opposition goals.

Some of the reactions to Max’s absolute stinker are laughable.

“On his last chance” “Will be back at Sandy”

Give me a spell.

He got sucked into wrestling with Corr instead of beating him with his strengths.

Anyway… Darcy Darcy Darcy is the story of the night.

Thought Windy was great too & what a difference big Hayesy makes. Allowing Ro to play deep forward creates a nightmare for opposition coaches.

I think we really missed a trick not playing Collard… he could have had a field day with the amount of loose balls that Norf create by chopping arms.

Would have also liked to see Dow play ahead of Hugo… the kid looks promising but would benefit from racking up some VFL touches.

BTW if we’re offering LDU megabucks… can we double it & snag George Wardlaw too. He’s unbelievable for a 2nd year player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the biggest load of horseshit I've read in this thread
I ended my posting hiatus just to agree with this.

What a thundering load of f#%king garbage.

Some of the reactions on this thread are utterly laughable, and a pertinent reminder of why I left.

Bloody hell!

First it was Titanic; now it’s Godzilla

J313qhc.gif

I have to say that yesterday was the first time in many years that I watched a game without that anxiety of “we are gonna lose”. Even when we started slowly, I still knew that we were gonna get home conformably in end. It was a strange feeling to have, especially because of our inconsistent start to the year and deflating injuries to key players - we had plenty of reason to worry going into this game. Is this what it feels like for normal person who don’t let the result of a game dictate your emotions for the entire weekend?

Plenty of the individual and overall game analysis has done already, but just wanted to highlight a couple of things. It was good to score over 100 points, but majority of the score came from individuals we didn’t expect to hit the scoreboard. Wilson, Hill, Hayes, Wood and the other young fellas scoring makes us more dangerous. Plenty has been said about Kingy, but I am in the camp of letting him get some consistency after a number of frustrations stopping him from getting a proper run at it this year. His start to the year was strong and I am confident he can get back to that very quickly. As has been mentioned, he did get some unfair treatment by defenders yesterday and could have easily had a day where he kicked 4+ and got good ride from the umpires. Would love to see him who his athleticism and get up the ground and lead back into the F50.

However, this leads me to my last point. I still reckon the l elephant in the room is our skill level. We have some great players who can use it well, but we have some butchers who stand out like pigs nuts when they link up in a positive chain. Whether it’s Bonner turning it over at CHB or any of our mids failing to hit a kick inside 50, we need to improve this if we are to be a good team in the future. I can understand why King and others would be frustrated with the delivery they get. That’s a skill issue tho. Some blokes will never get to the level they need to get to, but watching games this year has allowed me to realise that most of the kids have the ability to play at the level. Most of them have only shown moments, but that is enough. We aren’t winning the flag this year, but it’s incredibly important to be competitive and fast tack the development of the kids that will drive this club in the years to come. Windy, Nas, Chito, Pou (even tho he is really struggling), Hastie, Garcia, Wilson etc look to have what it takes to play at the level required. Just need to keep bringing talent in - whether that’s nailing your draft picks or being competitive enough to attract free agents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back