Preview Round 16, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 16 - Brisbane Lions v Richmond (GABBA)

Thursday 29th June, 7.20pm

Ladder Positions

3rd Brisbane Lions vs. 12th Richmond

Last Met: 2022 Elimination Final

Brisbane Lions 16.10.106 def Richmond 16.8.104

IMG_6246.png

The Rivalry

Brisbane Lions 11 wins / Richmond 25 wins

Brisbane Bears 8 wins / Richmond 9 wins

Fitzroy 72 wins / Richmond 94 wins

1687699113354.png

The Prediction

In recent times, games against Richmond have been tense affairs. Since our return to form in 2019, we have played Richmond 8 times and only won 3 games. Our average winning margin in those games was 15 points, compared to an average losing margin of 28.4 points. In amongst all of that were two memorable finals victories and one heartbreaking Qualifying Final loss in 2019. All of this suggests that this should be a close game, but I believe that on Thursday night we are going to not only beat Richmond, but we will beat them soundly.

The Reasoning

Line by line, the Lions have the edge on Richmond. In defense, Richmond are still a formidable unit, with Grimes, Vlastuin, Balta, Broad, Short and Rioli all capable of getting plenty of ball. They have only conceded two more points than our defense this year, despite the fact that they have lost 3 more games than us to date. This points to the big problem that Richmond have had this year, which is their inability to post decent scores. This season Richmond have managed to kick the following final points tallies: 58, 108, 49, 84, 78, 78, 48, 104, 102, 70, 67, 110, 85 and 90. Brisbane on the other hand have finished with: 72, 93, 53, 116, 152, 108, 115, 100, 87, 107, 78, 73, 97 and 84. Simply put, the team that scores the most wins, and I believe that on Thursday, Brisbane is going to score the most. We are currently ranked 3rd for points scored, a mere 21 points from the number one ranking. Eric Hipwood has been in great touch of late and Joe Daniher has been working into some good form, particularly as his set shot kicking looks to have improved. With Daniher leading long up field and Hipwood getting on the lead inside 50, we have started to look like we have a match-winning system with our ‘talls’ that will stand up in September. Cameron Rayner continues to bob up with some telling moments in attack, as does Zac Bailey. Both Charlie Cameron and Lincoln McCarthy are due, and I am expecting both to get amongst the goals. One area we do need to improve is our forward pressure. Looking for a return to form there. Despite the relative strength of their defence, I just can’t see Richmond containing us, particularly when you factor in our midfield.

With Dayne Zorko likely to come back and Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley and Will Ashcroft teaming beautifully with Oscar McInerney, out of the middle, I cant see Richmond matching us. If Fagan plays Devon Robertson in the centre, I would be even more confident. As for Richmond, Cotchin is a class act, Prestia is dangerous with the ball in hand, Taranto is a disposal machine and Bolton, can turn it on, but I think we have their measure. Nankervis is a big lumbering type ruckman, but he will be no match for McInerney, who is deceptively mobile for his size. Hugh McCluggage was back to his best against St.Kilda and Jarrod Berry seems to have found some form, making a welcome scoreboard contribution in the last couple of weeks. McCluggage and Berry are the ‘icing on the cake’ and I can’t see the likes of McIntosh or Ross containing them.

Then there is our backline, which is a thing of beauty:

FB: Starcevich, Payne, Lester

HB: McKenna, Andrews, Wilmot

Throw Coleman into the mix and we have a defence which will make Richmond’s ailing forward line look ordinary. Harris Andrews is in “All Australian” form and Jack Payne is dominating in the air. Ryan Lester (Back Line General) is intercept marking, spoiling beautifully, and rebounding out of defence with purpose. Brandon Starcevich is the best LOCK DOWN defender in the competition and Conor McKenna, Keidean Coleman, Conor McKenna and Darcy Wilmot turn defence into attack with their rebound run and carry. Against this cohesive defensive unit, Martin, Riewoldt, Baker and the new kids at Richmond don’t stand a chance. Riewoldt in particular, started the season well, but has only scored 9 goals in his last 7 games, with 5 of those coming in the Round 12 clash against GWS, who had decided that they weren’t going to even try to defend that day.

Selection

Don’t expect too many selection changes. I reckon we are going to look like this.

C: McCluggage, Robertson, Berry

HF: Bailey, Daniher, McCarthy

FF: Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner

Fol: McInerney, Neale, Dunkley

Int: Zorko, Ashcroft, Coleman, Fletcher

If Fagan wants to increase the midfield GRUNT – he should include Jarryd Lyons for Jaspa Fletcher perhaps.

The Result

LIONS BY 50+

Breaking News

Tigers lose star mid ahead of crucial Lions clash

From The Archive

Follow the link - Watch on YouTube

Rd.1 1970 Fitzroy too good for Richmond in front of Royal Family.

Match Summary: From the Archives, 1970: Fitzroy’s shock win brings Richmond Tigers back to earth; AFL 2021

Lester Watch

Last edited:

Is that how you can look for a word in an article?
Crl +F
It's a short cut for the Find command. Hold Control and tap F at the same time, then type in what you want to search for.

I assume that you use Control C (copy), X (cut) and V (paste)? Also Control W (close window) is useful but can be annoying when you close the wrong window.

Round 16 - Brisbane Lions v Richmond (GABBA)

Thursday 29th June, 7.20pm

Ladder Positions

3rd Brisbane Lions vs. 12th Richmond

Last Met: 2022 Elimination Final

Brisbane Lions 16.10.106 def Richmond 16.8.104

The Rivalry

Brisbane Lions 11 wins / Richmond 25 wins

Brisbane Bears 8 wins / Richmond 9 wins

Fitzroy 72 wins / Richmond 94 wins

View attachment 1722381

The Prediction

In recent times, games against Richmond have been tense affairs. Since our return to form in 2019, we have played Richmond 8 times and only won 3 games. Our average winning margin in those games was 15 points, compared to an average losing margin of 28.4 points. In amongst all of that were two memorable finals victories and one heartbreaking Qualifying Final loss in 2019. All of this suggests that this should be a close game, but I believe that on Thursday night we are going to not only beat Richmond, but we will beat them soundly.

The Reasoning

Line by line, the Lions have the edge on Richmond. In defense, Richmond are still a formidable unit, with Grimes, Vlastuin, Balta, Broad, Short and Rioli all capable of getting plenty of ball. They have only conceded two more points than our defense this year, despite the fact that they have lost 3 more games than us to date. This points to the big problem that Richmond have had this year, which is their inability to post decent scores. This season Richmond have managed to kick the following final points tallies: 58, 108, 49, 84, 78, 78, 48, 104, 102, 70, 67, 110, 85 and 90. Brisbane on the other hand have finished with: 72, 93, 53, 116, 152, 108, 115, 100, 87, 107, 78, 73, 97 and 84. Simply put, the team that scores the most wins, and I believe that on Thursday, Brisbane is going to score the most. We are currently ranked 3rd for points scored, a mere 21 points from the number one ranking. Eric Hipwood has been in great touch of late and Joe Daniher has been working into some good form, particularly as his set shot kicking looks to have improved. With Daniher leading long up field and Hipwood getting on the lead inside 50, we have started to look like we have a match-winning system with our ‘talls’ that will stand up in September. Cameron Rayner continues to bob up with some telling moments in attack, as does Zac Bailey. Both Charlie Cameron and Lincoln McCarthy are due, and I am expecting both to get amongst the goals. One area we do need to improve is our forward pressure. Looking for a return to form there. Despite the relative strength of their defence, I just can’t see Richmond containing us, particularly when you factor in our midfield.

With Dayne Zorko likely to come back and Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley and Will Ashcroft teaming beautifully with Oscar McInerney, out of the middle, I cant see Richmond matching us. If Fagan plays Devon Robertson in the centre, I would be even more confident. As for Richmond, Cotchin is a class act, Prestia is dangerous with the ball in hand, Taranto is a disposal machine and Bolton, can turn it on, but I think we have their measure. Nankervis is a big lumbering type ruckman, but he will be no match for McInerney, who is deceptively mobile for his size. Hugh McCluggage was back to his best against St.Kilda and Jarrod Berry seems to have found some form, making a welcome scoreboard contribution in the last couple of weeks. McCluggage and Berry are the ‘icing on the cake’ and I can’t see the likes of McIntosh or Ross containing them.

Then there is our backline, which is a thing of beauty:

Throw Coleman into the mix and we have a defence which will make Richmond’s ailing forward line look ordinary. Harris Andrews is in “All Australian” form and Jack Payne is dominating in the air. Ryan Lester (Back Line General) is intercept marking, spoiling beautifully, and rebounding out of defence with purpose. Brandon Starcevich is the best LOCK DOWN defender in the competition and Conor McKenna, Keidean Coleman, Conor McKenna and Darcy Wilmot turn defence into attack with their rebound run and carry. Against this cohesive defensive unit, Martin, Riewoldt, Baker and the new kids at Richmond don’t stand a chance. Riewoldt in particular, started the season well, but has only scored 9 goals in his last 7 games, with 5 of those coming in the Round 12 clash against GWS, who had decided that they weren’t going to even try to defend that day.

Selection

Don’t expect too many selection changes. I reckon we are going to look like this.

C: McCluggage, Robertson, Berry

HF: Bailey, Daniher, McCarthy

FF: Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner

Fol: McInerney, Neale, Dunkley

Int: Zorko, Ashcroft, Coleman, Fletcher

If Fagan wants to increase the midfield GRUNT – he should include Jarryd Lyons for Jaspa Fletcher perhaps.

The Result

LIONS BY 50+

From The Archive

Follow the link

Rd.1 1970 Fitzroy too good for Richmond in front of Royal Family.

Match Summary: From the Archives, 1970: Fitzroy’s shock win brings Richmond Tigers back to earth; AFL 2021

Lester Watch

🤣🤣

I watched the Lester highlights video and thought interesting, it's pretty much all him as a forward. Is this the club warming us up for Lester transitioning to forward?

Then I looked at who posted it and though, nah. Just his fan club doing their stuff.

Who goes to Shai Bolton, Jack Riewoldt and Dustin Martin?

Jack Payne > Jack Riewoldt.

Brandon Starcevich > Dustin Martin.

Dev Robertson/Darcy Wilmot > Shai Bolton.

Who goes to Shai Bolton, Jack Riewoldt and Dustin Martin?

Jack Payne > Jack Riewoldt.

Brandon Starcevich > Dustin Martin.

Dev Robertson/Darcy Wilmot > Shai Bolton.
Payne to Riewoldt
Lester to Martin
Starcevich to Bolton
Andrews to Ryan (if Ryan comes up after injuring his ankle against St.Kilda)

Bolton is getting plenty of midfield minutes. Interesting to see how he goes against an in form Neale, Dunkley and Ashcroft.

Last edited:
Payne to Riewoldt
Lester to Martin
Starcevich to Bolton
Andrews to Ryan (if Ryan comes up after injuring his ankle against St.Kilda)

Bolton is getting plenty of midfield minutes. Interesting to see how he goes against an in form Neale, Dunkley and Ashcroft.
Is Lynch returning?

An important game to win - both for the pivotal four points and to build belief in our young brigade and change in tactics (from three to two talls). A good win here will absolutely launch our run into September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a joy to watch to tigers lose on Thu!

Interesting that we seem the best balanced of the top four...

View attachment 1722524
I am not going to pretend I understand what the F that is or the method to determine it.
BraveIckyBobwhite-size_restricted.gif

It's a short cut for the Find command. Hold Control and tap F at the same time, then type in what you want to search for.

I assume that you use Control C (copy), X (cut) and V (paste)? Also Control W (close window) is useful but can be annoying when you close the wrong window.
Every thing digital is annoying Attempting to set up an epos machine and had to ring the help line.

They did something and now I have to wait 10 minutes and try again

Wish me luck.

I am not going to pretend I understand what the F that is or the method to determine it.
BraveIckyBobwhite-size_restricted.gif
It is the live Squiggle - Squiggle 2023 except that I took out everyone not top four and didn't include any useful information (vertical is attack and horizontal is defence)... you can go back to round 1 and see how your team went over time (effectively if you scored more than they expected you to your icon would move up etc)

So my bad - I assumed it was well enough known to not need the context :(

It is the live Squiggle - Squiggle 2023 except that I took out everyone not top four and didn't include any useful information (vertical is attack and horizontal is defence)... you can go back to round 1 and see how your team went over time (effectively if you scored more than they expected you to your icon would move up etc)

So my bad - I assumed it was well enough known to not need the context :(
So at this stage basically saying it's a Port v Lions GF.

We need to talk more about Starcevich. Hasn’t been great this year and is the weak link in back 6. He can shut down his opponent but he’s fast become a turn over merchant. Adopted the Answerth boot it out of my problem area tactic for it to go to opposition and come back in twice as cleanly. Hoping he can improve his thinking and dislikes this game.

Huge danger. Rioli always on his best against us.

We need to talk more about Starcevich. Hasn’t been great this year and is the weak link in back 6. He can shut down his opponent but he’s fast become a turn over merchant. Adopted the Answerth boot it out of my problem area tactic for it to go to opposition and come back in twice as cleanly. Hoping he can improve his thinking and dislikes this game.

Huge danger. Rioli always on his best against us.

Huh?

Papley and Butler shut down in the past few weeks

Rioli plays down back

Weird opinion

Looking at our 4 losses.
Daniher had his 4 worse games of the year averaging 9 disposals and kicking 1, 0, 2, 0 goals.
Hippy had 3 of his worse games this year averaging 4 disposals and kicking 1, 1, 0. However he did apply good pressure in the Crows game.
Hippy in the 4th game v Hawks kicked 4 goals from 10 disposals and applied some good pressure so was good.
Gunston kicked 2 & 3 goals with low disposals in the Power and Dogs games but was woeful in the Crows and Hawks games not scoring at all.

I think our KPF need to be very productive Thursday evening if we are to beat Richmond.
One selection question is will we go 2 or 3 talls.

Our losses were all away games so playing at The Gabba is a plus.

bailey has gotten a notable bump in midfield time the last two weeks, averaging 50% cba's

thought mccluggage played one of his better games primarily starting on a wing against the saints

will be interesting to see what we do with these two with zorko likely to return

7-12 actually, same time he’s been listed since he injured it in rd 4.
Unfortunately we have dr Frankenstein running our high performance at the club so I don’t expect to see lynch until 2024.
Apart maybe from Jesus, I cannot think of a person - fictional or non-fictional - with a better track record of getting people up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back