Oppo Camp Round 15 - The Other 8 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
With the bye rounds done and dusted we are back the full round of 9 games kicking off tonight with Brisbane Lions v Geelong.

Brisbane Lions v Geelong

We have what I would classify as 'Match of the Round' tonight with the 3rd placed Geelong traveling up to the Gabba to take on the 4th placed Brisbane Lions. I think we all remember what happened last time these two teams met back in Round 2 down at Kardinia Park, the non holding the ball call cost Brisbane a chance a victory but as we know they got their redemption the following week, unfortunately against us. Two teams with top 4 if not top 2 ambitions this has all the makings of an absolute cracker and if recent history is anything to go by we could be in for a great game.

Richmond v St Kilda

Friday Night Footy returns to the MCG for the first time since Round 8. The last time these two sides met was back in Round 5 which saw Richmond win comfortably by 86 points. The past 5 weeks have seen Richmond go 3-2 and St Kilda 1-4, with their only win coming against the bottom placed North Melbourne. St Kilda have had 2 weeks reflect on their capitulation against Adelaide where the led 36-0 only to lose 78-73. Will they come out and cause an upset or will Richmond strengthen their grip on top 8?

North Melbourne v Gold Coast

Hobart hosting their third game in as many weeks, unfortunately for the locals though it's two teams who are having an absolute stinker of a season and that's reflected in their ladder positions, 18th v 16th. I don't know if there's crowd restrictions in Tasmania but the North v GWS game only got an attendance of 3,462. It's every bit possible with the two teams involved this attract fewer than that. Gold Coast actually have a 'decent' record against North Melbourne having won 50% of their matches, the head to head since 2011 sits at Gold Coast - 7 and North Melbourne - 7. That's Gold Coast's best winning percentage against any team. If North Melbourne want to make it a little competitive for the wooden spoon then they need to win this one.

Port Adelaide v Sydney

Two top 8 teams go head to head on Saturday Twilight Footy as 5th take on 6th. A win for Sydney here is vital as GWS and Essendon are hot on their tail in 9th and 10th and a loss to Port Adelaide could really open the door for GWS and Essendon. I think this will be a close contest and may well be in the balance right up until the final siren.

Essendon v Melbourne

Saturday Night Footy sees the 10th placed Bombers take on the top of the ladder Demons. Essendon are in reasonable form at the moment and would fancy their chances in this game, they be desperate to keep in touch with the top 8 too and whilst a loss wouldn’t end their season it will make the task of pinching 8th spot just that little bit harder. On the other side Melbourne are coming off a shock loss to Collingwood can they bounce back and keep their spot on top of the ladder?

GWS v Hawthorn

Not a whole heap of interest in this game as 9th takes on 17th, I guess the only interest will be in whether or not GWS can keep in touch with the top 8, currently sitting 2pts outside. The venue change to the MCG will slightly favour Hawthorn though.

West Coast v Western Bulldogs

7th hosts 2nd for Sunday Afternoon Football. West Coast and Western Bulldogs have already played off against each other this year, back in Round 2 where the Dogs recorded a 7 point win. West Coast will be keen to hold firm in the top 8 with a win just as the Dogs would be keen to hold off Geelong and the Brisbane Lions who are chasing them down.

Carlton v Adelaide

Round 15 finishes off with Carlton taking on Adelaide. What’s the best way to end a weekend of footy? With a Carlton loss of course!! Can Adelaide come to town and knock off Carlton? One things for sure if they do then the blowtorch on Teague would intensify and if the ‘Teague Train’ hasn’t derailed yet then it could be off the tracks come 6pm Sunday night.

My tips for Round 15: (minus our game)

Brisbane Lions, Richmond, North Melbourne, Sydney, Essendon, GWS, West Coast, Carlton

Last edited:

Brisbane's really got the jump on Geelong.

I initially thought that 'late' tackle from Jeremy Cameron on Neale was fair. Having watched the replay there looks to be a secondary movement after Neale disposes of the ball wherein he drives Lachie into the ground, which I'd go so far as to say was intentional. Bit dirty, and not at all needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As consistently good as Geelong have been over the past 10 years, you really have to wonder had they brought in even a half competent Ruckman how many premierships they would have won.
I'd argue that in not doing so they have left perhaps two flags on the table. Been a gaping hole in their much applauded list/recruiting/drafting actions

As consistently good as Geelong have been over the past 10 years, you really have to wonder had they brought in even a half competent Ruckman how many premierships they would have won.
I'd argue that in not doing so they have left perhaps two flags on the table. Been a gaping hole in their much applauded list/recruiting/drafting actions

Destination for Lynch at season's end?

Destination for Lynch at season's end?
You would think they would be looking to bring in someone of his profile for sure. Wont cost much, done the hard yards of physical development elsewhere..
Their real misses were not drafting Grundy ( they went with Thurlow 2 slots before Brodie ) and then not securing Goldy form NM a number of years back.

Bit unrelated but I was scrolling through the Richmond list yesterday and by God that may have been the ugliest group of "humans" I think my eyes have ever had the displeasure of viewing.

Good thing our boys are much better looking.

Bit unrelated but I was scrolling through the Richmond list yesterday and by God that may have been the ugliest group of "humans" I think my eyes have ever had the displeasure of viewing.

Good thing our boys are much better looking.
Richmond have always had ugly players.

Saints still not very good. Richmond still seem to get away with a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back