Game Day Round 10 vs. Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 18/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AJ is a confidence player. I am sure that he won't be selected unless his recent perfomance in the VFL ticked all the necessary boxes.
I am in awe of our development coaches. Today's game against WC showed that our debutants have been primed for seizing their opportunities at AFL level, and that is due to the encouragement and wisdom of our coaches within the VFL program.
AJ will or won't be selected next week according to their decision, and I have faith that it will be optimal one for AJ (and therefore for the team).
I think Kreuger is a likely selection, because he has plenty of confidence (maybe too much for his own good!!). I think at this stage, coming back from a long absence due to injury, he would best be selected as sub.
Not sure that Adelaide has so much height in their Forward line. They have Himmelburg and Walker, who Moore and Frampton will deal with.

I guess it depends whether we want Maynard to play tall on a Walker/Himmelberg or bring Dean back in.

I'd probably lean towards Maynard playing tall and getting WHE to play back as the intercept defender.
agree:
-Frampton v Himmelberg
-Moore v Tex
-Maynard (189 cm) v Fogarty (192 cm)

i would, however, bring in another tall forward (AJ) to replace Howe
Schultz for HH
Mitchell (if ready), otherwise Allan (as sub) for Bytel

I'd rather Freddie come in for Howe. I don't trust AJ anymore.

Only problem with Krueger is that he only just played his second game back in the VFL. With his injury history we may need to see him get through a full month of VFL footy, and increase his match fitness. Would hate to see him come back to early next week at AFL level, only to last a quarter or two......

Last edited:
AJ is a confidence player. I am sure that he won't be selected unless his recent perfomance in the VFL ticked all the necessary boxes.
I am in awe of our development coaches. Today's game against WC showed that our debutants have been primed for seizing their opportunities at AFL level, and that is due to the encouragement and wisdom of our coaches within the VFL program.
AJ will or won't be selected next week according to their decision, and I have faith that it will be optimal one for AJ (and therefore for the team).
I think Kreuger is a likely selection, because he has plenty of confidence (maybe too much for his own good!!). I think at this stage, coming back from a long absence due to injury, he would best be selected as sub.
Not sure that Adelaide has so much height in their Forward line. They have Himmelburg and Walker, who Moore and Frampton will deal with.
AJ has been ok the last couple of games. Showed some very good form as a backman two weeks ago and kicked 3 yesterday. He definitely is a confidence player, like many of the flashy high flyers. He’s great when he’s on but when he’s off he’s very off.

I honestly have no idea re ins and outs as there are a few maybe/maybe not injuries. We do need another tall to replace Howe, is that a tall defender (Dean) or a tall forward (Freddy/AJ) who knows.

Sounds like only Schultz and maybe Mitchell will return next week, whilst we lose Howe, Harrison and Bytel.
So Schultz in for Harrison. I would make it very clear to Johnson that fortunately for him a spot has opened up, and this is his opportunity to now grab his chance, and prove he belongs at AFL level. AJ in for Howe. Allan/Mitchell in for Bytel, and either one to be sub.

I honestly have no idea re ins and outs as there are a few maybe/maybe not injuries. We do need another tall to replace Howe, is that a tall defender (Dean) or a tall forward (Freddy/AJ) who knows.
Yes, I think that is a major bifurcation point. Do we need another tall defender, or instead is the priority another tall forward?? I tend to go for the latter, only because, from my extremely limited knowledge of Adelaide, they appear to have not an overly tall forward line, so we should try to make or forward line more dangerous by engineering another tall there.

Adelaide have really taken it up to us the last few times we've played.

It’s funny they continue to get close but I don’t think they’ve actually beaten us in quite some time?

I'm going early, we'll win again next week. We're back baby, even with a s**t load of injuries, they can't beat our systems

As long as I continue to avoid wearing Collingwood merch when watching games we’ll be fine

Good call with Elliott and Checkers out. It was all free flow stuff from the mids today. The forwards didn't have to win contests. We'll be in trouble up forward if we don't dominate the game.
With the supply we had from the mids, we didn't need much of a forward line, and our smalls got plenty of space and opportunity. This is not the norm. We will need targets over the next couple of weeks, WHE and McInnes aren't enough so think we do need to add one to replace Howe, whether AJ, Krueger, De Goey or Frampton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only problem with Krueger is that he only just played his second game came back in the VFL. With his injury history we may need to see him get through a full month of VFL footy, and increase his match fitness. Would hate to see him come back to early next week at AFL level, only to last a quarter or two......
And I'd hate to see him play a bunch of VFL games, then not only be unable to crack an AFL spot because the injured have healed, but sustain another injury without playing a senior game. Play him while he is needed. Howe and Harrison were both injured and replaced early today and that didn't stop us winning the game.

agree:
-Frampton v Himmelberg
-Moore v Tex
-Maynard (189 cm) v Fogarty (192 cm)

i would, however, bring in another tall forward (AJ) to replace Howe
Schultz for HH
Mitchell (if ready), otherwise Allan (as sub) for Bytel
IMO, Dean needs to come in for Howe, in defence. Adelaide have one of the better set of marking forwards, so normally we'd have all of Moore, Frampton and Howe playing back there, as well as Maynard, IQ and Markov. So we need to bring in another defender. Welcome back, Mr Dean! He was BOQ in the VFL, taking a huge number of contested and intercept marks.

Up forward, we also need another big bodied tall marking target because Adelaide's defence will be stronger than West Coast's and obviously Howe won't be there. Its Freddy time!

OUT - Howe, Harrison, Bytel
IN - Dean, Kreuger, Schultz

Sub - Macrae/Schultz

Is Mcreery not fit for this game?

Out Howe Harrison Bytel (sub)

In: Schultz De Goey (if fit) Mitchell

Joe Richards Sub

Last edited:
I'd rather Freddie come in for Howe. I don't trust AJ anymore.

AJ's first 2 months of footy where some of the worst footy you've ever seen from a mature age AFL footballer. Yes there are excuses, but he has a long way to go to prove he's ready to contribute at AFL level.

Needs to dominate a few VFL games first, same with Kreuger.

In: Johnson, Dean, Schultz
Out: Harrison, Bytel, Howe
Sub: Markov

Dean back in place of Markov, he was BOG in the VFL and I think we need a taller defender to play the Howe role against Adelaide. I like Sidebottom down back though so I’d keep him there.

Johnson has been good in the VFL the last three weeks. We need another marking forward up there, even with McGovern gone Barrass dominated the air.

I think Dean in for Markov to be sub makes a lot of sense.

All these injuries. Aren’t good at any point. Also interesting to see so many injuries to players across a lot of teams at present.

But I would prefer (outside of the obvious not at all) we cop injuries now rather than end of year heading into the finals.

Keep banking as many wins we can same as last year when we lost players; Cox, Cameron, McStay etc and then make a big assault at the finals when we get our best players back.

None of the injuries seem to be long term either. It’s a good thing in some respects that if forces coaching staff to test the depth .

B. IQ. Frampton. Dean
Hb. Sidebottom. Moore. Maynard
C. WHE. Pendles. Jaicos
HF. Hill. Krueger. Lipinski
F. Reef. Cox. Richards

R. Cameron. Naicos. Crisp
Int. Sullivan Macrae Shultz Noble
Sub Markov

B. IQ. Frampton. Dean
Hb. Sidebottom. Moore. Maynard
C. WHE. Pendles. Jaicos
HF. Hill. Krueger. Lipinski
F. Reef. Cox. Richards

R. Cameron. Naicos. Crisp
Int. Sullivan Macrae Shultz Noble
Sub Markov
At least One of Michell or JDG will play

Is Mcreery not fit for this game?

Out Howe Harrison Bytel (sub)

In: Schultz De Goey (if fit) Mitchell

Joe Richards Sub

This is what I'm thinking depending on the availability of JDG and Titch.

Richards faded hard yesterday, and that's understandable given he started like a house on fire and we had no bench. The fact it's a 6 day break makes me think he'll be pushing it up hill to have an impact against a better opposition. Sub probably suits him very well for this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back