Rio de Janeiro 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent news for Brazil. About time it was hosted somewhere different.

Mate 1996 was a debarcle, that city still is a shithole and they've hopefully got another 20 years in the corner before they get another crack. Every habitable continent should get an olympics in the cycle. The US shot is in about 2024.

The last two Olympics have been a non-event for me, I just can't be assed getting excited about them.

A lot of people are into them though, so I don't really have any issues with them as a concept but it's a big financial risk for a city to take to have a go at them. They say there are economic benefits for holding them, but they also say that about F1 events too. The amount cities spend to get them is huge and I always end up thinking the return doesn't justify the outlay.

But if the people of Rio wanted it, then good luck and well done to them.

Fantastic piece of news. A fantastic achievement by Lula who has changed the country for the positive in the last ten years.

It will do wonders for Brasil by putting it on the world stage. The majority of people outside of Brasil only know Brasil for Rio, Soccer and Carnival. But there is so so much to Brasil than that. 26 States, all completely different and diverse to each other. The 2016 olympics will be a great education process. And will be a massive event and party as well.

Good news all around :)

Fantastic piece of news. A fantastic achievement by Lula who has changed the country for the positive in the last ten years.

It will do wonders for Brasil by putting it on the world stage. The majority of people outside of Brasil only know Brasil for Rio, Soccer and Carnival. But there is so so much to Brasil than that. 26 States, all completely different and diverse to each other. The 2016 olympics will be a great education process. And will be a massive event and party as well.

Good news all around :)

Hopefully it will benefit those who need it most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read this on another forum:

As an inhabitant of Sydney, Australia, let me be congratulate Chicago from having dodged a financial bullet.

In 2002, the Auditor-General of New South Wales reported that the Sydney Games cost $AUD 6.6 billion, with a net cost to the public between $AUD 1.7 and 2.4 billion.[1][2]
It has been estimated that the economic impact of the 2000 Olympics was that $AUD 2.1 billion has been shaved from public consumption. Economic growth was not stimulated to a net benefit and in the years since 2000, foreign tourism to NSW grew by less than tourism to Australia as a whole. A "multiplier" effect on broader economic development is not realised as a simple "multiplier" analysis fails to capture is that resources have to be redirected from elsewhere: the building of a stadium is at the expense of other public works such as extensions to hospitals. Building sporting venues does not add to the aggregate stock of productive capital in the years following the Games: "Equestrian centres, softball compounds and man-made rapids are not particularly useful beyond their immediate function.

The State of New South Wales is still an economic basket case compared to the other Australian states, because the extra revenue we got from taxes on property sales went on the Olympics, while the other states spent it in Infrastructure.

That's some good news for the Rio slum dwellers. Blowing all this money on an event run by rich, corrupt men which is quickly becoming a farce with events being decided who has the best pharmaceutical labs.

Hopefully it will benefit those who need it most.

I know what you mean. Under other presidents you would worry about who would benefit from this. But Lula has a very good track record of looking after the disadvantaged.

Should be a huge boost for essential infrastructure such as Public Health, Public transport as well as education. Since the capital of Brasil went from Rio to Brasilia, Rio has been neglected a bit when it comes to important infrastructure and is a bit behind compared to some of the richer southern states.

The one thing I hope is that the benefits from the olympics flow on to Brasil all around and not just Rio. Some of the poorer northern states really could do with some assistance.

Should be a huge boost for essential infrastructure such as Public Health, Public transport as well as education.

Public transport possibly, but I reckon your hopes for improved health and eduication infrastrcture are forlorn.

As for other regions of Brazil getting a boost, good luck with it. People often forget the Olympics are awarded to a city, not a country. You can expect pretty much all Olympic expenditure to flow to Rio and Rio only.

The greatest sport ever
1082640146-olympics-beijing-olympic-games-2008-day-eleven.jpg

Go Rio Go Rio Go Rio!!!

Public transport possibly, but I reckon your hopes for improved health and eduication infrastrcture are forlorn.

As for other regions of Brazil getting a boost, good luck with it. People often forget the Olympics are awarded to a city, not a country. You can expect pretty much all Olympic expenditure to flow to Rio and Rio only.

I think it is the entire package that the olympics will bring and the enormous international exposure. The government is expecting a huge flow on increase in tourism, and the tourism dollar is already on the increase. 44% of all tourists come to Brasil for the sun and glorious beaches, and the best beaches arn't in Rio, so there is a flow on effect there.

There is also the increase in infrastructure to other states that will host olympic events. Remember the world cup is being hosted there two years earlier in 2014, so Brasil is in the unique position of being able to double advertising or sponsorship for approximately the same infrastructure dollar.

Interestingly the World Bank said that in 2016, Brasil will have the fifth largest economy in the world. So, everything seems to be coming together at the same time. Fingers crossed they don't stuff it up :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back