Summer RIO 2016 - Swimming (Pool Only) 6th to 13th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not remarkable or courageous Basil, it's stupidity going out on your own like that.

Might have been stupid, but it was the only way he was going to win. Even if it was a 1% chance of working, it was probably more chance than hanging in the pack. Took a lot of guts to have a crack and swim on his own for most of the race, even if it was futile. Showed more spirit than most of our pool swimmers.

It's one thing being ignorant, but to display it in public for all to see is courageous, I'll grant you that.

I think it's pretty accurate to say swimming ranks higher in importance in the psyche of the Australian public than rowing or sailing.

I mean, this thread is 116 pages long, the rowing thread is 4 pages long, and the sailing thread only has 11 posts.

I have no problem giving more money to sports we value higher as a nation.

I think it's pretty accurate to say swimming ranks higher in importance in the psyche of the Australian public than rowing or sailing.

I mean, this thread is 116 pages long, the rowing thread is 4 pages long, and the sailing thread only has 11 posts.

I agree. I'm sorry but 98% of the population couldn't give a shit about sailing. Rowing is more popular but not all that much.

Swimming is part of the Australian culture and image overall. Performing in the pool is important and money should be spent for it.

Just unfortunately the swimmers didn't deliver when it mattered and something needs to change to improve in Tokyo.

I agree. I'm sorry but 98% of the population couldn't give a shit about sailing. Rowing is more popular but not all that much.

Swimming is part of the Australian culture and image overall. Performing in the pool is important and money should be spent for it.

Just unfortunately the swimmers didn't deliver when it mattered and something needs to change to improve in Tokyo.

You could fund Athletics and Swimming 100% but then we would slide right down the medal table. At least with rowing, sailing, shooting, canoeing and even cycling, before this Olympics you get a decent number of medals for money. The team sports rarely win, but I'm happy to fund them because Hockey and Basketball are mass participation sports. NZ don't waste much money on swimmers and athletes they concentrate on just sailing and rowing and now rugby sevens and get the results.

My comment was responding to the description of sailing and rowing as "shitty" sports. Popularity and the nature of the sport itself are entirely different issues. For example, badminton is very highly valued in some Asian countries. Swimming is not. Which would be the "shitty" sport in that context?

BuI agree with you re the popularity of sailing/rowing in Oz - it has always been so.

My comment was responding to the description of sailing and rowing as "shitty" sports. Popularity and the nature of the sport itself are entirely different issues. For example, badminton is very highly valued in some Asian countries. Swimming is not. Which would be the "shitty" sport in that context?

BuI agree with you re the popularity of sailing/rowing in Oz - it has always been so.
I was mainly being a smartarse in response to the usual swimming bashing.

It's extremely obvious why it deserves a lot of funding even if it may under perform in the medal tally compared to a couple of relatively obscure sports here.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Lochte admitted he made it up? I've only seen reports that he lied coming from Brazilians, who would have a vested interest in it not being true. I guess if Allenby can do it, then so might Lochte (plus there are other teammates involved), but why? Just bizarre.

Has Lochte admitted he made it up? I've only seen reports that he lied coming from Brazilians, who would have a vested interest in it not being true. I guess if Allenby can do it, then so might Lochte (plus there are other teammates involved), but why? Just bizarre.

Not sure,there's conflicting reports

http://www.wsj.com/articles/did-the-olympic-pool-give-some-swimmers-an-advantage-1471470741?tesla=y

But a disturbing question is arising about the 50-meter competitions just completed here at the Rio Games: Did a current favor athletes on one side of the pool?

Three scientists who previously published peer-reviewed work showing that a currentinfluenced 50-meter races at the 2013 world championships say that the same problem appears to have existed in the Olympic pool in Rio. Led by Joel Stager, director of Indiana University’s Counsilman Center for the Science of Swimming, the three researchers say that Olympic results this month suggest that a current boosted 50-meter competitors in the higher-numbered lanes of the eight-lane pool.

As evidence, they note that of the eight men and eight women who swam fast enough during the 50-meter semifinals to qualify for the final, all but one swam in lanes 4 through 8. Moreover, athletes who swam in lanes 5 through 8 during preliminaries or semifinals and moved to lanes 1 through 4 for later heats got slower. They posted times about a half percent slower in the subsequent round—even though pace tends to quicken as events progress.

Not sure about a current but to the naked eye the lanes that the Australians were swimming in seemed a bit longer than their competitors. I call foul.
The fabric of spacetime certainly stretched in the final 25 metres for Cate Campbell.

So what are the theories behind how a current arises?

Inadequate lane ropes on one side? Jets all pointing in one direction? Pool built on a slope?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back