Summer RIO 2016 - Swimming (Pool Only) 6th to 13th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Well at the end of it all they did win 3 gold medals (including an event we've wanted for a long long time) and set a World Record along the way. Other than a few high profile individuals most of them actually performed pretty well.

Most performed well???

Say what! Exactly how many swim PB's? Maybe about 5 out of the whole team. That is a terrible outcome. Swimming PB's should be the bare minimum and a good performance indicator.

Would score them a D+ overall

Most performed well???

Say what! Exactly how many swim PB's? Maybe about 5 out of the whole team. That is a terrible outcome. Swimming PB's should be the bare minimum and a good performance indicator.

Would score them a D+ overall
I guess that Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt were duds then? Not a single PB from either of them.

When was the last time Phelps and bolt claimed pb times? Maybe 4-5 years ago. Bolt and Phelps actually win when expected as well. Not really a good example to use.
It is if doing PB's is the only measure of success, which it apparently is.

I guess that Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt were duds then? Not a single PB from either of them.

They did enough to win. Our swimmers don't have that luxury!

Our times were seconds outside their PB's. They were awful!

They did enough to win. Our swimmers don't have that luxury!

Our times were seconds outside their PB's. They were awful!

That is a stupid measure to look at. Some PB's were set years ago and it is highly unrealistic to expect them to be beaten all of a sudden out of the blue. Your living in la la land if you think that is reasonable.

A far more measurable benchmark is "Year's fastest time" as that is far more realistic and reachable in context to where they are at personally in the current cycle against the rest of the world. There were some notable misses on that front (Campbell sisters, McEvoy, Seebohm, Hocking and McKeown) but even then if we hit the years fastest times for all our swimmers we still wouldn't of won anymore than two extra Gold Medal, 4 Silvers and a Bronze. In the end while we didn't meet our fastest times for the year often it wasn't the difference between winning and losing as is being made out. It is something that needs to be reviewed as we should be beating our years fastest times but as shown, even if we did hit our fastest times the rest of the world was even faster the majority of the time and we would of got medals in 6 different races out of 22 individual races. Keep in mind we got 2 gold medals and 1 silver by swimming a faster time for the year in the final.

Thats the context of what has happened. If you don't like that run down, you can always turncoat to the USA

Do swimmers genuinely think they are somehow above the other athletes? I mean really swimming. Embarrassing.

of course they do..why wouldn't they, we give them a OAM upon touch down,

They probably don't, but they are the most heavily scrutinised team we have. In regard to the article above, if they had been hanging out with other teams and playing table tennis while waiting for the bus, they would now be getting media articles written about them saying they weren't focused and didn't take the Olympics seriously and that's why they didn't win.

oh f off, seriously, it's not exactly news to the rest of us that they behave in such a manner..they'd do well to remember who's money it is that gets them there.

CHEF de mission Kitty Chiller plans to confront Australian swimming about their insular team culture at the Rio Olympics that was at loggerheads to her “one team” approach to the Games.

Chiller praised the Olympic team as a whole for the culture and support they brought to Rio throughout the Games, but notably was reluctant to discuss swimming’s behaviour amid reports she’d been upset at some of their behaviour even before two swimmers were caught breaching team protocols in the second week of the Games.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...e/news-story/3e92fc4f185ce45f2bf7e7826f242b93

Last edited:
I really don't understand why Kitty was hired in the first place, what's so special about her background. There must be better leaders to take this role.

They thought they couldn't get someone worse lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah she should have to carry the rock of shame after winning a gold and a silver

Her team won a gold a silver, individually she did nothing in her individual swims unfortunately. I don't have an issue with her smiling though, I just hope I don't hear that she was 'happy with her Olympics' or some rubbish like that.

Her team won a gold a silver, individually she did nothing in her individual swims unfortunately. I don't have an issue with her smiling though, I just hope I don't hear that she was 'happy with her Olympics' or some rubbish like that.
At the end of the day, this is probably going to be it for her.

Without her, most likely neither of those medals would have been won by Australia.

No one can take away that she is an Olympic gold and silver medallist.

Personally. I'd like to seen Kyle Chalmers retire. Another 4 years as part of the swim team, expectations for Tokyo and the ensuing results will turn him into a knob. Right now, he's perfect as the Aussie legend. He should just go off a play footy like he really wants to. I don't care even if it for Essendon.

I will stick this Kyle Chalmers stuff in here rather than its own thread. He gave 2 interviews on Adelaide radio today and returned to his school.

I have mentioned in this thread that he had signed with Speedo or Adidas, which I later clarified to Adidas, for 6 years which covers him to December 2021 ie after the Tokyo games. So his swimming career will go until 2021 and then he will reassess if he wants to play footy. :) Today in one of the interviews he revealed he has been studying Japanese for 7 years. So he might be able to do a Thorpe and get big endorsements in Japan.

He revealed his management team is TLA Australia which is London based but last year bought Elite Sports Properties which was set up and owned by ex Collingwood and Norwood player Craig Kelly, who played footy against Chalmers' old man, and Rob Woodhouse, who won a bronze in 1984 400 IM and anyone who has listened to swimming on ABC radio since 1996 Olympics, will know how much he knows about swimming and competitors from around the world. So he is being well looked after and will be on a good wicket which will turn into a batting paradise if he continues to win world champs and 100m in Tokyo. In his interviews he said he is off to Germany for work with Adidas, then a photo shoot in Marseilles and then London for a week for some holidays including watching Arsenal.

That Chalmer's interview on 5AA this arvo on the sports show was ok listen at their soundcloud LINK

but the one for the last 20 minutes of Matt and Dave's breakie show on ABC 891 was brilliant. Even handled questions about the swim team split from rest of Olympic team like a 30 year old veteran and smashed any gossip to the sideboards. You can listen at the link below and move the ball about 80-85% of the way to the end as the link is for 3 hours but doesn't have a clock.

https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pe8DwE7J6Q?play=true

This story tells about his day back at school today and says he's picked up pneumonia since leaving Rio. There are a few quotes from his morning interview with Matt and Dave at
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...-kyle-chalmers-as-gold-medallist-home/7784252

Last edited:
Personally. I'd like to seen Kyle Chalmers retire. Another 4 years as part of the swim team, expectations for Tokyo and the ensuing results will turn him into a knob. Right now, he's perfect as the Aussie legend. He should just go off a play footy like he really wants to. I don't care even if it for Essendon.
I do , efc could get omera in psd for nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back