Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

You're missing the point that there are better performed midfielders that Fin is competing for a spot with, or at lest a lot more competition for that spot.

Reef is only competing with AJ at the moment for a spot and has him well and truly covered.
Agree - but we need to blood mids.
Finn was top of the group - but hasn’t been given a chance to prove himself.

This might seem reductive, but I’d say the difference is that Reef got his opportunity and performed his role to the required level whereas Finn got an opportunity and sadly didn’t.

We lost the first 3 games of the season and any and all wins we bank throughout this patch of the season will be absolutely crucial in making top 8 (or potentially top 4). Unfortunately that leaves Finn and the other unproven youngsters with a very short lead in regards to the standard of performance required to continue getting selected.

It’s stiff, and we do need the young talent to come through, but we need to ensure we’re prioritising winning games at this moment in time.
Finn getting game time is not going to impact our winning chances - he’ll just be one of 23.

Last year in the VFL guys like Jarred Lyon from the Lions showed him up in the VFL. He needs to show that he can match it with the good fringe of the AFL mids at the very minimum before we even talk about selecting him ahead of the likes of Tom Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury - or whoever you think should be pushed out of the midfield for Finn. He's got two more years to show he's up to it, but unfortunately he hasn't done so yet.
Finn was starring in the VFL last year, and during the preseason, against our very talented mid group.
So he’s moved well passed this hurdle.

I was half-waiting to see what the popular take on here would be. My main impression was that he battled hard and despite kicking one goal had an “almost” game. Like you said, Apex, he should have had one more and could easily have had two more.

He seemed to give Sicily a bit to think about when Sicily wasn’t the extra man in defence for Hawthorn, and his pressure was pretty good. I was disappointed for him more than anything not to have gotten a couple more and the confidence that might have added.

I think he looked likely in that first half and could of had 3 or 4 for the game.
2nd half and especially the final term he just looked dead on his feet.

I think he just needs games and more preseason to build the tank.
When he gets next to 2 genuine kpp, he will be a handy 3rd leading option and long term likely Elliotts replacement

Last edited:
I think he looked likely in that first half and could of had 3 or 4 for the game.
2nd half and especially the final term he just looked dead on his feet.

I think he just needs games and more preseason to build the tank when next to 2 genuine kpp will be a handy 3rd leading option and long term likely Elliotts replacement

He had a tough role in that he was switching to try to cover off Sicily and not just playing as an attacking forward.

He's going to be a good player, I think. But he's not the answer when the defence is set and we're in bomb it to a pack and hope it falls for a small mode.

This used to be the sentiment around De Goey
Not true. Degoey had always shown a lot in the midfield. Some of his early good games were as a mid. At VFL he was a good mid.

With Degoey what was said was that he was a better forward - and at the time he probably was - plus endurance meant that he couldn't do a full game in the midfield.

McInness however hasn't shown he can play mid well at VFL level - let alone in the AFL. He's looking like he has a future as a forward though.

Finn was starring in the VFL last year, and during the preseason, against our very talented mid group.
Starring is laying it on a bit thick. He was probably playing slightly above the level, but starting in the VFL is getting 30+ disposals every week and a ton of clearances. There are plenty of players who’ve performed better than that at VFL level and never gone on to take the next step. Fin needs to be banging the door down and demanding selection and he hasn’t done that yet. Needing to ‘blood mids’ isn’t adequate justification to shoehorn in a player who hasn’t necessarily performed well enough to be demanding selection in the 23.

I remember last year after the seniors got rolled by Brissy - there was talk about who to birng in after a loss - as there always is after a loss. People were on the Finn bandwagon as he'd gotten good numbers in the VFL - a bit of support for Carmichael too. However, if you'd actually watched the VFL, we'd also played Brissy and been absolutely slaughtered in the midfield - with Lyons and Mathieson massacring Finn and Carmichael.

And that was pretty consistent throughout the year - Finn was a good contributor, but the blokes who were on the edges of their AFL team showed him up.

Sounds like he had a cracking preseason, which is great news, but it's going to take more than a good preseason to show that he should get a midfield spot ahead of Pendles, Mitchell, JDG, Nick, Crisp. Needs to earn his spot by being at least the equal of the guy he's replacing in that spot.

Not true. Degoey had always shown a lot in the midfield. Some of his early good games were as a mid. At VFL he was a good mid.

With Degoey what was said was that he was a better forward - and at the time he probably was - plus endurance meant that he couldn't do a full game in the midfield.

McInness however hasn't shown he can play mid well at VFL level - let alone in the AFL. He's looking like he has a future as a forward though.
I agree with the bolded, a lot on here just refused to see it.

Reef hasn’t shown as much De Goey but he hasn’t shown zilch either.

Can’t really show you can play as a mid at VFL level when he’s not played there. But the times he’s around the stoppages he’s shown good craft.

Your facts are correct, but Bianconeri is also correct in that there was a large group of posters with the “DeGoey is not a mid” sentiment too.

As for Reef, I’d argue he’s shown some flashes in his first few years when he’s briefly had midfield time as a very good clearance player, but his fitness has clearly been a hindrance and he hasn’t had a lot of opportunity in the position as a result.
I think that the coaches know this too and we will gradually see him moving through the midfield for stints as his career progresses. Whether that will ever lead to a full time mid role is anyone’s guess, but he’s doing well as a forward currently which is all we can ask for.

I agree with the bolded, a lot on here just refused to see it.

Reef hasn’t shown as much De Goey but he hasn’t shown zilch either.

Can’t really show you can play as a mid at VFL level when he’s not played there. But the times he’s around the stoppages he’s shown good craft.

Reef's rolled through there.

I'm just not seeing it at all though. He hasn't shown that he can run with the footy, win clearances or make decisions on the fly. Hopefully he can cement himself in what is his best role - forward. If he develops into a mid in the future - it would be an unexpected bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily probably did touch it. I like that they don't pay those ones. Stops an umpire error resulting in follow on penalty - like what occured for Carlton. It's like how they don't pay holding the ball when someone claims a mark that the umpires call touched.
Sicily is always touching it.

Your facts are correct, but Bianconeri is also correct in that there was a large group of posters with the “DeGoey is not a mid” sentiment too.

As for Reef, I’d argue he’s shown some flashes in his first few years when he’s briefly had midfield time as a very good clearance player, but his fitness has clearly been a hindrance and he hasn’t had a lot of opportunity in the position as a result.
I think that the coaches know this too and we will gradually see him moving through the midfield for stints as his career progresses. Whether that will ever lead to a full time mid role is anyone’s guess, but he’s doing well as a forward currently which is all we can ask for.
Jordy had a lot to learn as a mid, he used to flash through all or nothing - putting himself out of the contest and us one down if he didn't get it, but the tools were always as clear as day.

Starring is laying it on a bit thick. He was probably playing slightly above the level, but starting in the VFL is getting 30+ disposals every week and a ton of clearances. There are plenty of players who’ve performed better than that at VFL level and never gone on to take the next step. Fin needs to be banging the door down and demanding selection and he hasn’t done that yet. Needing to ‘blood mids’ isn’t adequate justification to shoehorn in a player who hasn’t necessarily performed well enough to be demanding selection in the 23.
You dont need to take my word for his performances - Fly is a believer in Finns potential.
That endorsement alone merits Finn getting extended games to prove himself.

You dont need to take my word for his performances - Fly is a believer in Finns potential.
That endorsement alone merits Finn getting extended games to prove himself.
Fly also dropped him for not taking his chance. I’m sure he will get back but may need to show a bit in the VFL.

thats where Fly has me puzzled - how could Finn prove himself wtih 38% TOG
Agreed. A bit stiff.
sub, sub and 37% TOG in what was meant to be a full game. He'll get plenty more opportunity. but atm it was a bit unfair. Is that setting players up for success? I'm not sure it is.

With Reef, I thought he did well in the game. Matching up v Sicily was never gonna be easy, but thought he completed well in the contest. Could have had multiple goals. His pressure was good. Tried to take mark of the year lol

Seemed he was playing higher up the ground, or maybe he was just following sicily. rarely you'd see him out of the goal square like previous games.

Jordy had a lot to learn as a mid, he used to flash through all or nothing - putting himself out of the contest and us one down if he didn't get it, but the tools were always as clear as day.
Jordy transitioned as forward > forward/mid > mid/forward > and finally, full-time mid. That transition occurred as his aerobic fitness improved and as he learned the craft of a mid (balance btw offence & defence; positioning etc).

Not sure Reef will ever get to being a full-time mid but he will (IMO), as his career progresses and his fitness improves, spend time on ball. Another leg up on his aerobic base and I think we'll certainly see more from him ..more games, more confidence that he belongs!

Jordy transitioned as forward > forward/mid > mid/forward > and finally, full-time mid. That transition occurred as his aerobic fitness improved and as he learned the craft of a mid (balance btw offence & defence; positioning etc).

Not sure Reef will ever get to being a full-time mid but he will (IMO), as his career progresses and his fitness improves, spend time on ball. Another leg up on his aerobic base and I think we'll certainly see more from him ..more games, more confidence that he belongs!
I don't see why Reef couldn't emulate Jordy's progression. He has the size and ability. He will develop and add endurance and core strength to bolster his bona fides.

Reef is making a pretty good fist of his role that sees him having to play on some premium defenders.

How long until he is considered on a par with someone like Henry? Both are 21 years old and a little bit similar.

Keeping in mind Henry has the benefit of Cameron and Hawkins in the same forward line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

To you and I maybe. To many others they weren’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back