Banter RDT 162 - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme A Man After Census Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently rewatched the entire series (except the lame final series). Great show. Has a bit of a bell curve in terms of how good it is though. Middle seasons are best
Good to hear. I'm currently on season 3 and I've enjoyed that more than season 2 more than season 1 so that lines up with my experience.

I enjoy a series that knows where it's ultimately going. Which is one of the many reasons why Breaking Bad was all time. Trouble, is, most series start off with a great premise in order to get syndicated, but then just peter out. Or if they're successful, just try to milk the story for all it's worth before ending in a whimper.

Gotta love a series with a wider narrative arc. A rare commodity.

Good to hear. I'm currently on season 3 and I've enjoyed that more than season 2 more than season 1 so that lines up with my experience.
Gets a bit sappy toward the latter seasons and the first season is a bit hit and miss. It’s perfect for switching the brain off either way

I enjoy a series that knows where it's ultimately going. Which is one of the many reasons why Breaking Bad was all time. Trouble, is, most series start off with a great premise in order to get syndicated, but then just peter out. Or if they're successful, just try to milk the story for all it's worth before ending in a whimper.

Gotta love a series with a wider narrative arc. A rare commodity.
They didn't. Vince Gilligan has said
they wrote the flash forward at the start of the final season not knowing where it was going to try challenge themselves.
That show just had really good writing.

Only show I know of that had the ending planned from the start was How I Met Your Mother, and that's still the worst ending I've ever seen.

they wrote the flash forward at the start of the final season not knowing where it was going to try challenge themselves.

Only show I know of that had the ending planned from the start was How I Met Your Mother, and that's still the worst ending I've ever seen.
They essentially knew that they were trying to turn Mr Rogers into Scarface, right? The idea was there. And thankfully they wrapped it up within 6 seasons, which is about right.

HIMYM still enjoyed such success that they probably chucked in a few seasons extra (6,7,8) due to how popular it ended up being.

I get what Dazzler9 is trying to say, a show that knows its whole story from when it starts is epic. It's rare these days, they're generally anthology types like True Detective. The need to make more money ruins the stories IMO. I loved seasons 1-5 of HIMYM, those later seasons ruined the show for me.

HIMYM still enjoyed such success that they probably chucked in a few seasons extra (6,7,8) due to how popular it ended up being.

I get what Dazzler9 is trying to say, a show that knows its whole story from when it starts is epic. It's rare these days, they're generally anthology types like True Detective. The need to make more money ruins the stories IMO. I loved seasons 1-5 of HIMYM, those later seasons ruined the show for me.
There's the idea...and then there's the execution of the idea.

And then there's the series executives wanting to turn a buck.

I genuinely can't tell if the last bit is a piss take.

LOST has as high peaks as any show I've watched but a few missteps. If you accept that every mystery isn't going to get answered perfectly and just enjoy the ride/the characters it's a brilliant watch. I've watched it through like four times.
The worst flak i’ve ever seen Lost cop is from people that genuinely don’t understand the ending and how well it lines up with the show’s themes.

Gun show and ending was fitting, that shot with Jack on his back looking up was brilliant. Come at me campaigners.

On the subject of Vince Gilligan I assume it's something similar with Better Call Saul in terms of he knows how the whole story goes. That's hit a note where I might go back and rewatch it.

On Breaking Bad, I was coincidentally thinking about it today; I was so surprised at the first time I watched it and how much I sympathised with Walt, and thought what he was trying to do was fair and Skyla, Hank and Jessie were s**t-bags. On the second watch through I think I managed to wake-up and realise how much of a manipulating campaigner he was, and how much more I liked Hank and Jessie and felt sorry for how much he ****ed them over. Absolutely amazing television.

I remember when it first started and I described the plot to some people and they kinda raised their eyebrows and gave me a slow "okayyyyy". Turns out to be one of the greatest shows ever.

The worst flak i’ve ever seen Lost cop is from people that genuinely don’t understand the ending and how well it lines up with the show’s themes.

Gun show and ending was fitting, that shot with Jack on his back looking up was brilliant. Come at me campaigners.
That final shot is one of my favourite ever TV moments. The exact mirror of the opening shot in S1E1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sopranos was planned but then HBO wanted more so they squeezed a couple of seasons in before moving to the endgame. Which is why it spins its wheels a bit in the middle.

For Sopranos fans:

Does anyone share the conspiracy theories Tony lived through the finale? I've had a few try to argue it to me but for me the sketchy dude in the restaurant killed him.

For Sopranos fans:

Does anyone share the conspiracy theories Tony lived through the finale? I've had a few try to argue it to me but for me the sketchy dude in the restaurant killed him.

I don't think so. I think the themes of the final season, his character arc, "you never hear the one that gets you", and the repeated direction in the final scene establishing that the "cut to black" is actually a POV shot all suggest one outcome.

Middle footballing daughter today

40 touches in the Grand Final

Which we won by 2 points

Not quite BOG but she was immense today

Been a hell of a year for my ladies footy 💪🏽

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back