Random Discussion Thread 135- A Historically Significant Event

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LG, Panasonic or Samsung smart TV? Budget around 2k. Not for me. I wound up with a Sony that has excellent picture but is a buggy POS with its software.

LG, Panasonic or Samsung smart TV? Budget around 2k. Not for me. I wound up with a Sony that has excellent picture but is a buggy POS with its software.
Im still rocking the Japanese made Panasonic plasmas. My main box is a THPVT20. 58inch. Full HD, 5000Mhz sub drive, 4 HDMI. Fully tunable picture settings.
I fixed it myself when it went pop.
Just a few IGBT switches that had to be replaced on the SC board.

If youre having trouble with the Sonys UI maybe grab a fetch tv box and just watch all your TV through that. They're a great little machine.

Im still rocking the Japanese made Panasonic plasmas. My main box is a THPVT20. 58inch. Full HD, 5000Mhz sub drive, 4 HDMI. Fully tunable picture settings.
I fixed it myself when it went pop.
Just a few IGBT switches that had to be replaced on the SC board.

If youre having trouble with the Sonys UI maybe grab a fetch tv box and just watch all your TV through that. They're a great little machine.

Panasonic are about the only panel you can still repair I think? The rest they just bin and replace.

I've turned my software updates off and that seems to have fixed the issue on my Sony. Pretty widespread issues online so I guess they finally started running patches and it would just s**t itself every time they did it.

Panasonic are about the only panel you can still repair I think? The rest they just bin and replace.

I've turned my software updates off and that seems to have fixed the issue on my Sony. Pretty widespread issues online so I guess they finally started running patches and it would just s**t itself every time they did it.
Yeah Panos and the old Pioneer plasma panels are first class.

Its only because they were so heavy and required alot more complex components the manufacturers went to LCD panels as soon as the tech was available. Cheaper to make and throwaway leading to more sales.
The plasmas ended right there and then. (2012)

Yeah Panos and the old Pioneer plasma panels are first class.

Its only because they were so heavy and required alot more complex components the manufacturers went to LCD panels as soon as the tech was available. Cheaper to make and throwaway leading to more sales.
The plasmas ended right there and then. (2012)

My first flat screen was a plasma. Didn't need the heater on in Winter it ran so warm :fire:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have yet to meet a 4k telly that makes fta watchable. The 1080p sets dont have to invent so many pixels.

Plasma still does motion better than anything IMO and for watching the footy it is the most important thing.

Hopefully OLED keeps improving and gets a lot cheaper.

Maybe I am a luddite but I struggle to see the point of 4k as yet.

I have yet to meet a 4k telly that makes fta watchable. The 1080p sets dont have to invent so many pixels.

Plasma still does motion better than anything IMO and for watching the footy it is the most important thing.

Hopefully OLED keeps improving and gets a lot cheaper.

Maybe I am a luddite but I struggle to see the point of 4k as yet.
Yeah 4K is mostly pointless. Probably a good time to mention that they brought out 8K tellys this year.

OLED tech was patented by LG but that's now over so Panasonic and Samsung are doing their own versions.
Give it a year or two and the prices will come right down

Some of my fondest memories are going to Video Ezy with the parents as a kid getting 7 weekly VHS movies.
The first time I saw Star Wars was a VHS copy my Dad rented for me from Video Ezy on my fourth birthday (2002). Great memory. Would've been just before VHS was really killed off by optical disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back