Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Is the point of your post to assert that dumb people are a fact of life?
Yes. You can educate all you want, it doesn't mean any of it will stick.

Dumb people will continue to do dumb things. Even smart people do dumb things. So the question becomes, why are we surprised by dumb things?

Dumb people will continue to do dumb things. Even smart people do dumb things. So the question becomes, why are we surprised by dumb things?
Nah Kat.
Without hope that all of us are learning and growing all the time we are truly without hope.

Nah Kat.
Without hope that all of us are learning and growing all the time we are truly without hope.
Not saying there is no hope. Just saying don't expect everyone to learn and improve.

"When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they can't tell good from evil. But I have seen the beauty of good, and the ugliness of evil, and have recognized that the wrongdoer has a nature related to my own - not of the same blood and birth, but the same mind, and possessing a share of the divine. And so none of them can hurt me. No one can implicate me in ugliness. Nor can I feel angry at my relative, or hate him. We were born to work together like feet, hands and eyes, like the two rows of teeth, upper and lower. To obstruct each other is unnatural. To feel anger at someone, to turn your back on him: these are unnatural."

- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

I've said this before, but treating something as though it cannot be changed is part of why it cannot be changed. I could, if I were so inclined, pick out hundreds or thousands of things that were once a fact of life that are now not.

So no, the question does not become why are we surprised by dumb things, the question becomes why are you clinging to the notion that racism is a fact of life? (Seeing as that's a whopper of an accusation, let's be clear: I'm not accusing you of being racist here.)

Children aren't born racist, vaccines used to not exist, and each generation is (by average) smarter than the one which came before it.

Last edited:

There's a consultant that I've worked with that has the best line for this sort of situation.

You can make things as idiot proof as possible but they just keep making better idiots.

Children aren't born racist

100% correct. The issue is that it is taught. And it will be the work of generations to make significant inroadd in changing patterns of thought in the population at large.

We are just starting to see results with people calling it out more regularly.

That doesn't mean we should expect it to be eliminated. Not yet.

100% correct. The issue is that it is taught. And it will be the work of generations to make significant inroadd in changing patterns of thought in the population at large.

We are just starting to see results with people calling it out more regularly.

That doesn't mean we should expect it to be eliminated. Not yet.
Hmmm...

There's a whole spectrum between constant nigh apoplectic outrage and resignation towards someone being an idiot who is also a racist, and I'm not sure that resignation is the appropriate response. It's a bit tricky to engage in the work of generations when the person next to you who you're relying on helping just shrugs their shoulders.

Nonetheless, probably a good end point for this conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck. We missed out on our preferred school because we didn't put our son's name down on the list until he was 2.5 years old :eek:
Man that sucks!

The whole school zone is a massive thing. We sold up and moved during the big lockdown last year to get into a good school zone for the kids primary and secondary schools.

Not something that would even have crossed my mind before kids!

Once you've done the theme parks and the beach it's a soulless shithole. Not great for families.
Moved here from Melbourne nine years ago and would never go back - it's like being on a permanent holiday. Only downside is my footy team is Melbourne based, we're lucky to see one game a year up here. Melbourne is good for visiting & for the record after working at said theme parks, I don't go to them either, not worth the money.

Once you've done the theme parks and the beach it's a soulless shithole. Not great for families.

I used to think the same.

Not anymore, 62K Vics moving there this year alone...

I think the most sole less place in Oz at the moment is the Melbourne CBD and surrounds. It's a ghost town and with the lack of people living in and around it, the place will only get worse... Breaks my heart...

Moved here from Melbourne nine years ago and would never go back - it's like being on a permanent holiday. Only downside is my footy team is Melbourne based, we're lucky to see one game a year up here. Melbourne is good for visiting & for the record after working at said theme parks, I don't go to them either, not worth the money.
We seriously considered making the move last year and now I'm regretting that we stayed put.

I used to think the same.

Not anymore, 62K Vics moving there this year alone...

I think the most sole less place in Oz at the moment is the Melbourne CBD and surrounds. It's a ghost town and with the lack of people living in and around it, the place will only get worse... Breaks my heart...

Melbourne is dead and will never be the same! If it wasn’t for my job I’d be shipping myself and the family to either wa or qld

Not looking forward to this, my bub is nearly 1 and we are already planning around schools

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buy a suburb or two away your eventual permanent residence, a year before child is ready to go to the school you want rent out your permanent residence and live in a rented residence within the zone.
Once in the school, move back home. Any further children get into the school on the basis of a sibling being there already.
It’s really that simple, will save you 10’s of thousands, even 100’s of thousands

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Been going through my head the last month.

My cousin who grew up on Phillip Island moved up there in his early twenties.

Hes a bit further north but just loves the life style.

Whilst we are stuck in our homes for weeks and months on end. I just get constant snap chats from him in the sunshine.

Out on the tinny fishing or going for cruises on his yacht for a week or two at a time.

When he's not working his constantly on different beautiful beaches, out on the water etc. His winter is like our summer.

Mean while we're stuck in lockdown for week after week. Just hoping our state government will be kind enough to let me play golf once a week in the cold Melbourne weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back