Random Best Sportsperson discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Certain facts about Bradman. He refused to play on the Sub Continent. The reason was that on wickets that took spin he was very suceptable. If he had played on the Sub Continent ygrn maybe his average may not have been so good. The funny thing was he scored a duck in his last innings trying to come down the wicket to spin. Interesting. Every other batsman at the time played on the spin traps of the Sub Continent. He was the only one who refused.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wasnt the first Australian tour to India in the 50s?
Rubbish. Bradman only missed one test series and was against South Africa for medical reasons. He didn't 'hide' from any team or country. If he was susceptible then it certainly didn't show in his average.
There was a private tour that wasn't endorsed by the ACB in 35/36 but first was 56/57. I am pretty sure Bradman was retired by then.
Another way to put it is that Australia did not played a Test on the subcontinent during Bradman’s time.
Is there any possibility we can stop putting up posts about bloody Bradman. Let's get back to what this thread is all about. "Who are we likely to draft and what strategies could we use on draft night". Not bloody Bradman, cricket, squash, billiards or any other irrelevant sport.

Is there any possibility we can stop putting up posts about bloody Bradman. Let's get back to what this thread is all about. "Who are we likely to draft and what strategies could we use on draft night". Not bloody Bradman, cricket, squash, billiards or any other irrelevant sport.

the bradman stuff was more accurate than the draft stuff

Margaret the happy clapping ogress is a fair candidate.
Probably won't be invited to the AFL-W any time soon though. :rolleyes:
That's a prick of statement calling her an ogress. You should be ashamed.

Margaret Court might have different opinions to many but she's entitled to state those views, just like Folou is, without the vitriolic response she has received. If You were a "happy clapper" you'd hold the same views.

That said, she is a great nomination, especially considering she's a female sports champion who thrashed opponents for a sustained period in a highly competitive international sport in a time me when there was a lot of pressure on women to be home makers. Definately the best female tennis player in history.

Margaret Court might have different opinions to many but she's entitled to state those views, just like Folou is, without the vitriolic response she has received. If You were a "happy clapper" you'd hold the same views.

That said, she is a great nomination, especially considering she's a female sports champion who thrashed opponents for a sustained period in a highly competitive international sport in a time me when there was a lot of pressure on women to be home makers. Definately the best female tennis player in history.
She's entitled to state her views. People are entitled to state their opinion about those views.

She's entitled to state her views. People are entitled to state their opinion about those views.
True, but not with the vitriol, bigotry and slander that was shown at the time and as was displayed by "The Project". She stated her views in a polite and courteous manner and wasn't treated the same way. Many even wanted to remove her name from the Margaret Court Arena. Is that fair and reasonable? No. She probably won't even be honoured this year at the Aussie Open this year on the 50thanniversay of her grand slam like Laver was last year. How fairies that?

Last edited:

Not ashamed at all. Anytime someone is outrageously homophobic because they think their magic sky daddy wants them to be I'll be right here to call them the dim, hypocritical, hateful t:poo:rds they are being. If she's entitled to express her views, then I'm entitled to express my views on her views. Though probably not on a Swans draft forum. Mods inbound in 3....2....1....

True, but not with the vitriol, bigotry and slander that was shown at the time and as was displayed by "The Project". She stated her views in a polite and courteous manner and wasn't treated the same way. Many even wanted to remove her name from the Margaret Court Arena. Is that banned? No? She probably won't even be honoured this year at the Aussie Open this year on the 50thanniversay of her grand slam like Laver was last year. How fairies that?
If she wanted to be relevant and celebrated in the 21st century she should come join us in it.

The idea that you can espouse unrepentantly bigoted views in a "polite and courteous way" and expect to be treated politely in return is laughable.

If she wanted to be relevant and celebrated in the 21st century she should come join us in it.

The idea that you can espouse unrepentantly bigoted views in a "polite and courteous way" and expect to be treated politely in return is laughable.

Her views are those of many though, including religious groups etc, I don’t understand them, but it’s got nothing to do with her tennis ability

Just a bunch of lefty’s wanting to control everything, and tennis Australia pandering

"come join us in it" or receive vitriol. Yeah, that seems fair. That really is a narrow minded and bigoted opinion and yet you throw that label at others. Can't you just accept that people have different opinions?

"come join us in it" or receive vitriol. Yeah, that seems fair. That really is a narrow minded and bigoted opinion and yet you throw that label at others. Can't you just accept that people have different opinions?
Karl Popper, in the Open Society and Its Enemies:

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serena dislikes this.

Rubbish. Bradman only missed one test series and was against South Africa for medical reasons. He didn't 'hide' from any team or country. If he was susceptible then it certainly didn't show in his average.
He only played in two countries, England and Australia. They had not started official tests against India at that stage even though teams did go there. But he was suceptable to spin on a spinning wicket. He had a habit of attacking the spinners by moving down the wicket to them. My grandfather knew this and dropped a ball in shirt and as he was bowling he yelled to his wicketkeeper, 'Get him Tiny' and he was stumped. Grandpa was playing for NSW Country Eleven against the NSW team when they went on a tour to South Australia for the Sheffield Shield match at the start of the season.

Stump had played for Sturt and Glenelg in Adelaide and was up for state selection a few times but thought to be unsound due to a slight drinking problem. The problem was that Stump had bowled the opposition out on the Adelaide parkland. He thought he would not be batting as the top order were in. So he went to the pub across the road. All of a sudden there is a bloke at his elbow telling him wickets had fallen and he was next up.

Stump got back in time to pad up and bat. He was going very well hitting 37 in short order and then inexplicately got out. Asked how come he got out he replied well I was seen three balls and up until then I'd taken the one in the middle but that time I decided to take the one on the left. My grandfather was one of the greatest wastes of talent ever to Don a cricket cap. Everyone who saw him bowl knew he was good enough to play for Australia but they also knew he was a drunk too.

That's your opinion mine is Lockett. Topic that will always create debate. Barry Robran, Stephen Michael and anyone else who did not play AFL/VFL excluded themselves from the argument. People can go on as much about the Legend of those types but if they were as good as they were supposed to be they were just Big Fish in a small pond. Btw Carey never played for Victoria he played for NSW & Allies. Bosustow represented WA.
That's bullshit. You can't exclude players just because they did not play in the VFL. The VFL was not much better than those comps. Many players in those days chose to stay home. By the 1980's the VFL was broke and nearly folded at one stage. If it weren't for the state government it probably would have. SANFL and WAFL were in sound financial positions. Out of all the VFL clubs only the powerhouse clubs were viable. South, Fitzroy, North, Footscray, Melbourne, St Kilda were all in financial strife. Fitzroy had been bankrupt on several occasions. South were going to fold if we did not move to Sydney. North was floated on the stockmarket and at one stage owned by Carlton. John Elliot must have got a big gigglevout of that.

The Champions of Australia series, held at the end of each year was a series of matches between WA, SA & Vic Premiers. There are mixed results mate. Believe me they all wanted to win. Some of those matches were vicious. Kevin Sheedy, in 1973, was knocked senseless by Wayne Phillis after King hitting a Glenelg rover.

By the way I gather you are not old enough to know anyway.

Neither has the right to hate speech.

True, but not with the vitriol, bigotry and slander that was shown at the time and as was displayed by "The Project". She stated her views in a polite and courteous manner and wasn't treated the same way. Many even wanted to remove her name from the Margaret Court Arena. Is that fair and reasonable? No. She probably won't even be honoured this year at the Aussie Open this year on the 50thanniversay of her grand slam like Laver was last year. How fairies that?
It is not bigotry. How is what she says not bigotry? You defend her statements about GLBTI but won't defend the GLBTI when they naturally react. Her statements are inciting hatred. Her statements incite violence. That is fact. The same with Folau.

How fairies that? Sounds like a discriminatory statement to me. Are you calling GLTBI fairies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back