Random Best Sportsperson discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Babe Ruth was a freak..he could play baseball a bit too
Baseball.. easy game!
I think it was Bill Ponsford (opening bat in Bradman days) who went to the USA and had baseballs top pitcher throw a few at him at a fair.
1st pitch - home run
2nd - home run
3rd - home run
They couldn't believe it! and asked "how'd you do that?"
Bill replied " it was easy, they were all full tosses"

imagine what Gilchrist would've done

Baseball.. easy game!
I think it was Bill Ponsford (opening bat in Bradman days) who went to the USA and had baseballs top pitcher throw a few at him at a fair.
1st pitch - home run
2nd - home run
3rd - home run
They couldn't believe it! and asked "how'd you do that?"
Bill replied " it was easy, they were all full tosses"

imagine what Gilchrist would've done

Not even close to an easy game
Played against many state level cricketers and many are just average at best

One thing I will give them is a cricket bowler can usually throw a pretty good curveball

Glad someone mentioned Lindrum.

Amazes me Heather Mackay hardly ever comes up.

Her and Bradman for mine. Take your pick in what order you have them.

This was much better than talking draft stuff :p

Great pick up...and they say Franklin can’t play past 36?

Margaret the happy clapping ogress is a fair candidate.
Probably won't be invited to the AFL-W any time soon though. :rolleyes:

As I said though cricket is an easier sport.

It's harder to dominate a sport that's as difficult as AFL because you have to basically be a sci-fi superhero to do so.
Crickets ah easier sport? For who? How? Does that mean it’s easier to face a ball at 150kms than get a hard ball?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bradman to me is one of sports biggest statistical outliers miles ahead of the next best in his sport, not sure there is such an AFL player ever
Certain facts about Bradman. He refused to play on the Sub Continent. The reason was that on wickets that took spin he was very suceptable. If he had played on the Sub Continent ygrn maybe his average may not have been so good. The funny thing was he scored a duck in his last innings trying to come down the wicket to spin. Interesting. Every other batsman at the time played on the spin traps of the Sub Continent. He was the only one who refused.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Certain facts about Bradman. He refused to play on the Sub Continent. The reason was that on wickets that took spin he was very suceptable. If he had played on the Sub Continent ygrn maybe his average may not have been so good. The funny thing was he scored a duck in his last innings trying to come down the wicket to spin. Interesting. Every other batsman at the time played on the spin traps of the Sub Continent. He was the only one who refused.

Wasnt the first Australian tour to India in the 50s?

Rubbish. Bradman only missed one test series and was against South Africa for medical reasons. He didn't 'hide' from any team or country. If he was susceptible then it certainly didn't show in his average.

Another way to put it is that Australia did not played a Test on the subcontinent during Bradman’s time.

Can you provide any details of such tours that Bradman refused to play in?

"Bradman only missed one full series during his career: the 1935-36 tour to South Africa, when doctors advised him not to rest as he was still recovering from the bout of appendicitis he suffered at the end of the 1934 England series."

Back to footy, there is no Bradman of AFL. In fact there is probably no Bradman of any other sport. I'd be ecstatic if any of our 2019 draftees was Ponting or Steve Waugh. Kemp just might be that and I'd be happy to draft him at 5. I don't want Ash but could easily accept Serong, Young, Stephens, or Flanders. Green would be ideal but I think that is fanciful.

Poor old Wolfy is copping an absolute pasteing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back