QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

I was reading a summary/ report for 2024 involving country footy in Victoria since 2000.. Had all sorts of stats and was a very well compiled presentation ,, had some 194 pages .
Alarming facts to stand out was ;

1; since 2000 , ten leagues no longer exist.
2; there has been 28 clubs that have disbanded
3; 23 clubs have merged with other clubs
4; only 2 new clubs have formed..

Interesting stuff ,, not all glory down there in Victoria .To put it simple , there are still to many clubs and not enough players.
Can you post a link to this report id be interested to have a read

I was reading a summary/ report for 2024 involving country footy in Victoria since 2000.. Had all sorts of stats and was a very well compiled presentation ,, had some 194 pages .
Alarming facts to stand out was ;

1; since 2000 , ten leagues no longer exist.
2; there has been 28 clubs that have disbanded
3; 23 clubs have merged with other clubs
4; only 2 new clubs have formed..

Interesting stuff ,, not all glory down there in Victoria .To put it simple , there are still to many clubs and not enough players.
Hence it can be hard reading on here when ppl go off about qld footy is in a poor state.
That’s with a massive population increase in that period too in Victoria.

Can you post a link to this report id be interested to have a read
Premier ,
google ; COUNTRY FOOTY SCORES -
THEN CLICK ON COUNTRY FOOTY SCORES -HOME

This takes you to the website an you will see 2024 SEASON PREVIEW ,,, click on this and away you go .
Its a 194 pages of all sorts of stats in Victorian country footy and includes a very basic preview of every country footy league for 2024 ,,, its a unbelievable presentation as is the website ,, explore it and you will see it covers vic footy every week evey league ,, results, ladders , leading goalkickers etc etc ,, a amazing site

Not sure any of that population increase would have any knowledge of AFL.
Victorian country footy is no way in a poor state ,, its still a way of life with so much passion for the club one follows .. its just the case that there are to many clubs trying to survive when they know there is not enough players anymore

Only 3 mate in 36 years in qld footy! Weren’t you president at one and running recruitment at another in the same year at one stage?
Sharing the love mate😂

As you know got to follow the kids but gives you good insight into how all the clubs are run and meet some ripping people.

The one thing that stays constant is the decisions made by headquarters. They are mind boggling at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner is a pretty big loss for Aspley
Definitely is, might force Dawson to have to play on a man at times

As an Aspley supporter, our limited backline stocks is definitely a worry. Especially since 4/7 of our key departures were defenders! We'll definitely be forced to play small down there at different stages of the year when availability concerns become prominent.

Not sure any of that population increase would have any knowledge of AFL.
Well that’s the job of the ppl there to create an interest. Not just put into the too hard basket. Appreciate afl isn’t the most multicultural code going around but when u increase your population by 50% in a 20 yr period u would feel that clubs going out of existence prob shouldn’t happen

Season 2024 already – time just flew by. Judging by the number of tips already submitted, it looks like people are eager for Round 1 to commence.

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Noosa V Surfers Paradise
Played 11: Noosa 4 wins – Surfers Paradise 7
It is a question that continues to plague me: should I include the results for the AFLQ Premier Division/SEQAFL/QAFL competitions that ran parallel to the NEAFL during the years 2011 to 2015? For anyone who bothers to follow these posts, the answer will continue to be “Yes”. Bear that in mind as you read on.
From 2011 to 2013 and 2021 to 2023, these two clubs have met 11 times at “QAFL” level. I reckon it is worth noting that 3 of Noosa’s victories during that time have been attained at their home ground.
The closest result occurred three meetings ago when the Demons knocked over the Tigers by three points at Home.
If we dig back, we will find that the Senior teams of the two clubs have met a further 13 times between 2000 to 2001 and 2005 to 2010 in the AFLSQ competitions. The record here stands at 7 wins for Noosa and 6 for Surfers Paradise.
The overall history of the two clubs provides 24 games with 11 wins to Noosa and 13 to Surfers. It’s not a massive rivalry to start the season – but it is certainly quite close.

Aspley V Broadbeach
Played 16: Aspley 5 – Broadbeach 10 – Draw 1
At Senior level, this is the full extent of the history between the two clubs. Both clubs have been around for a considerable amount of time, but in different competitions - although there is no doubt that there is an intriguing rivalry developing between the Hornets and the Cats. Some people may be surprised that this record favours Broadbeach considerably. I was.
The two clubs have met during the years 2009 to 2013 (this time including NEAFL games) and 2022 to 2023. I reckon most people will remember that they played out a draw in the Round 1 game at Graham Road last season. Overall, there have been four games decided by a single-digit margin.
What are the chances of a Round 1 Draw again this year? I would suggest those chances are slim – but I thought the same last year.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Wilston Grange
Played 22: Palm Beach 17 – Wilston Grange 5
Palm Beach has been the more dominant side within QAFL ranks. And this record extends beyond the QAFL competition.
No matter who wins, the margins have rarely been close. Only two games have been decided by less than 10 points. The average margin has been almost eight goals across the 22 games.
Even prior to the QAFL, these two clubs have met every year since 2000 (except 2001). Between the years, 2000 and 2010, they clashed a further 16 times, resulting in 13 wins to the Lions and 3 to the Gorillas. Overall, it is a ledger heavily favoured to Palm Beach with 30 victories from their 38 clashes. Across 23 seasons, 38 meetings doesn’t feel like a lot - due to the number of teams competing in various grades, in certain seasons they only met once.

Redland V Maroochydore
Played 5: Redland 4 – Maroochydore 1
This is certainly the smallest record for Round 1. Only five games between the two clubs. The greatest winning margin was 29 points, the lowest was 10 points. There has never been a heavily one-sided QAFL match between the two.
Prior to Maroochydore’s ascension to the QSFL in 1998, these two clubs had a brief history in the BAFL. The Roos were very strong during those years – and it is reflected in the records. From the ten meetings, Maroochydore led with eight wins to Redland’s two.
The entire Senior history of the two clubs is limited to only 15 games.

Morningside V Labrador
Played 58: Morningside 40 – Labrador 18
From Labrador’s inclusion at QAFL level, these two clubs have been in the same competition since 1997. But here is the frustrating thing: across the past four years, they have only clashed three times (the 2021 fixture was cancelled as a result of COVID). There is a great tradition building here (including three Grand Finals)…EXCEPT they rarely play each other!
There have been seven games decided by less than ten points. Perhaps it will be close again this week.

Mt Gravatt V Sherwood
Played 30: Mt Gravatt 21 - Sherwood 9
From 1970 to 1982, there was a grand tradition between these two clubs in SQAFA. During those years, they clashed 51 times, with Sherwood victorious 35 to 16. This includes six Grand Finals (and that’s all I’ll say about that for now). The record is probably more substantial than the numbers look. Is there mutual respect between the two clubs? Is there outright hatred? I prefer to think the former – but it’s a question that could only be answered by their respective supporters.
It hasn’t translated quite the same within QAFL ranks. Having last met at Senior level in Round 16 1982 in SQAFA, they did not clash again until Round 7 2001 in the QAFL. That is quite a hiatus. Since then, the record has definitely been in the Vultures’ favour. There have been four games decided by less than 10 points – there have also been four games decided by more than 100 points.
Hopefully, whoever wins this one, it helps set up a successful season for both clubs.

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Surfers by 19 - Surfers need to win all games like this or they will finish mid table

Sherwood by 63 will be close at half time, if this was played at Sherwood they would win by over 100 as they are 6 goals better at home

Labrador by 17 in the Doogie watts cup

Redlands by 33 - they will win the flag in 2024, if they don’t win the flag this year a few might head home to the new boys on the block next year

Grange by 23 - if they are playing deep in the finals they need to make a statement early, they don’t want the Brisbane lions getting to many more injuries as they won’t see a few VFL listed players who they need to win the flag

Aspley by 32 - Broadbeach will struggle to score as they have lost to many goal kickers in the last 2 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back