QAFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Another big out at Maroochydore - following the long term President and the successful senior coach finishing up, the MVP for the last 6 + years, Jacob Simpson has announced he has accepted a deal to FIFO to country Vic club Lake Boga (3 + hours north of Melb) to play 10 games plus finals. Further, young ruck Max McDonald has gone to Morningside to get senior game time as he couldn't while Simmo was available and 'chop out rucks' Steven and Stirton have retired. If you know a ruck that wants a new club, I'm sure the Roos would be happy to talk to him.

Huge loss, that bloke is an AFL quality player. Myster that he never got seriously looked at by recruiters. Another Mark Browning blind spot, does he even watch QAFL senior footy?

Any talls in the 3rds...? :oops:

think he could play elsewhere other than ruck, but at this level he was so domnant there thats where he played.

he's under 200cm, so would stuggle as a ruck at higher levels, but I reckon his agility is pretty good - run around as a key forward clunking marks.

think he could play elsewhere other than ruck, but at this level he was so domnant there thats where he played.

he's under 200cm, so would stuggle as a ruck at higher levels, but I reckon his agility is pretty good - run around as a key forward clunking marks.
Lake Boga in the Central Murray League , around Swan Hill area , is like a 2nd Tier comp ,, Simpson will dominate in that comp.

Must be very very good coin, as surely the Roos could afford to give him upwards of $500 a game given his quality and length of service probably getting unders.

Must be very very good coin, as surely the Roos could afford to give him upwards of $500 a game given his quality and length of service probably getting unders.
Miller ,,
that comp has a salary cap of around 80k , its a small town of 1000 population, most players being local ,, it seems a strange decision by the club to recruit a fifo guy for 10 games . The club finished 2nd last in 2021 with 2 wins 8 losses before covid shut the season ,, also seems strange for Simpson to choose this club to go to unless there are connections of some kind..

Another big out at Maroochydore - following the long term President and the successful senior coach finishing up, the MVP for the last 6 + years, Jacob Simpson has announced he has accepted a deal to FIFO to country Vic club Lake Boga (3 + hours north of Melb) to play 10 games plus finals. Further, young ruck Max McDonald has gone to Morningside to get senior game time as he couldn't while Simmo was available and 'chop out rucks' Steven and Stirton have retired. If you know a ruck that wants a new club, I'm sure the Roos would be happy to talk to him.

Filo headed there as well - also a big big loss for the Roos

Max McDonald has settled in well at Morningside and I am sure he will good season if his preseason is any indication.

Miller ,,
that comp has a salary cap of around 80k , its a small town of 1000 population, most players being local ,, it seems a strange decision by the club to recruit a fifo guy for 10 games . The club finished 2nd last in 2021 with 2 wins 8 losses before covid shut the season ,, also seems strange for Simpson to choose this club to go to unless there are connections of some kind..
Unlikely Simpson has connection as he's a Sunshine Coast local born & bred, but Filo from Bendigo so probably some connection there.

Max McDonald has settled in well at Morningside and I am sure he will good season if his preseason is any indication.
No-one begrudges Max moving to get opportunity at senior level - he's a terrific young bloke. Morningside assisted him in getting a good job so I have no doubt he will enjoy his time there and play good footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Filo and Simpson will dominate that competition, what a strange move though just as their club is starting to make waves at the top level up here.

A reported 5k sign on fee and 2k a game may make it a little less stranger! Simpson in particular has given wonderful service to the Roos and may just relish a different opportunity whilst hearing filos’ father in Victoria and not well so a chance for Josh to see more of him but agree both big losses!

Knowing Simmo hated the travel to Aspley when he had a preseason some years ago and stayed at Roos, I cant imagine the excitement of travelling approx 6 hours each way to a game will last more than one season.

Knowing Simmo hated the travel to Aspley when he had a preseason some years ago and stayed at Roos, I cant imagine the excitement of travelling approx 6 hours each way to a game will last more than one season.
just thinking about this ,, I still say its a strange decision ...so fly in fly out ,, like to where , there are no flights from Maroochydore to Lake Boga .
Someone said a 5k sign on fee and 2k a match ,, so 25 k for the season . If you make it 25k for the year , thats $ 480 a week before tax, take out tax and hes in real terms being paid $360 a week,
Wow is it really worth it ,, no way .
Strange decision or uneducated decision ?

just thinking about this ,, I still say its a strange decision ...so fly in fly out ,, like to where , there are no flights from Maroochydore to Lake Boga .
Someone said a 5k sign on fee and 2k a match ,, so 25 k for the season . If you make it 25k for the year , thats $ 480 a week before tax, take out tax and hes in real terms being paid $360 a week,
Except it’s not really $360 a week, unless you’re going to apply the same logic to someone being paid $10k to play QAFL, so they they’re making $200 a week before tax, which might be $140 a week after tax.

So the bloke you’re talking about is really $200 a week better off, but basically losing his weekends for 10 weeks.

He’s working in the mines and he’s only playing 10 games + finals.

Teams in country Vic mostly pay on 10 games due to not training with the group.

You don’t pay tax on it as it’s classed as a hobbie. Flights will be covered as well so 25k cash for the year is worth about 40k in a job so that’s a nice little extra income
Last I remember, that was capped at $10k.

If he’s earning $25k + another job, he’ll be taxed on the whole amount.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back