Public vs Private School funding

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said it was based on evidence... It's my opinion. Just like it's your opinion that most parents who chose private schooling would continue to do so with a fee increase if funding was removed. I don't agree with that opinion and think that many would actually come out of the system if that happened.

If you actually read my posts you'll notice I'm not calling for maintaining status quo.
Cool, then we agree that public funds can be directed to public schools as they should be.

The people I know who have chosen to send their kids to private schools would do so regardless of the cost. Some are at the higher end of fees some are lower but all would continue doing so if fees increased. The schools aren't dumb either, at the end of the day they are running a business and would not increase their fees to the point that people would start exiting the system en masse. Simple supply/demand economics would see them find the point at which they could increase the fees without losing too many clients while being able to maintain their facilities.

And the public schools get to have their facilities upgraded without having to wait decades for simple maintenance and infrastructure works to be completed. So a better outcome for schools overall.

The defence of the current system never changes there is literally no point arguing with these people
Always back self-interest etc but what they don't get is it is in everyone's self-interest to have better funded public schools as it contributes to a better society in the long run. Short sightedness will never acknowledge that though.

Always back self-interest etc but what they don't get is it is in everyone's self-interest to have better funded public schools as it contributes to a better society in the long run. Short sightedness will never acknowledge that though.
I am totally supportive of this. Better funded public schools is a must for us to grow as a country.

You're missing the position that the best interest of the rich doesn't align with the best interest of the majority
How about discussing how we could transition to a different system?
Why, you and others will just suggest that whatever is proposed will be worse or the same

Seriously this thread goes in circles

I get you have a vested interest in private schools continuing to be funded by government but it only benefits the private system for this to continue

There is zero benefit for the public system for the private system existing

I have not seen any evidence of it within any of the schools in my area (not just mine).
Not formal expulsion, not as blunt as that. But certainly a coercion or suggestion that the student may not be suited to continue at the school. I have heard enough instances to know it happens and not isolated (maybe more so at the higher fee schools).

You're missing the position that the best interest of the rich doesn't align with the best interest of the majority

Why, you and others will just suggest that whatever is proposed will be worse or the same

Seriously this thread goes in circles

I get you have a vested interest in private schools continuing to be funded by government but it only benefits the private system for this to continue

There is zero benefit for the public system for the private system existing
from what i can see, I'm the only one who has actually proposed some steps towards change, and I've even said that once those steps were achieved I'd then support a system shift towards a greater public system.

Why that aspect of my posting is continually completely ignored here and everyone just assumes I'm anti public system continues to baffle me.

from what i can see, I'm the only one who has actually proposed some steps towards change, and I've even said that once those steps were achieved I'd then support a system shift towards a greater public system.

Why that aspect of my posting is continually completely ignored here and everyone just assumes I'm anti public system continues to baffle me.
Probably because you spend most of your time arguing against change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the steps towards change you have proposed? I may have missed it. Many posters have proposed changes you just disagree with them.

It's the standard tactic Gruffles people that want action against climate change get asked by those against it to solve the problem
The idea is you have to know the answer to the problem to be allowed to say there is a problem
You have to know the solution to say it needs to be fixed
It's bullshit

Are you going to post this for every other anecdotal post here... there's one just above mine as well.
No you specifically said you've not personally experienced it so it doesn't happen

Probably because you spend most of your time arguing against change
I don't.

I don't support a full swing and wipe out of the private system. I do support a gradual shift that first looks at issues within education that I think need to be addressed beforehand.

I don't.

I don't support a full swing and wipe out of the private system. I do support a gradual shift that first looks at issues within education that I think need to be addressed beforehand.
I don't support public funding for private schools
It's a simple position, I'm just saying how we get there, just that's we need to

I don't support public funding for private schools
It's a simple position, I'm just saying how we get there, just that's we need to
Great... I'm now trying to suggest how we might get there, in my opinion... and yet now I'm lumped in with those opposing your thoughts.

Just because we have not agreed on everything doesn't mean we can't have similar end goals.

Great... I'm now trying to suggest how we might get there, in my opinion... and yet now I'm lumped in with those opposing your thoughts.

Just because we have not agreed on everything doesn't mean we can't have similar end goals.
Yeah but i don't get that we do from your posting and I'm clearly not alone in that

Yeah but i don't get that we do from your posting and I'm clearly not alone in that
What about this post? I think only one person replied to it with a fairly dismissive response.

And here and here, where I mention that I'd support system change. And here where I specifically say that I'm not saying that the system shouldn't change.

Last edited:
It's the standard tactic Gruffles people that want action against climate change get asked by those against it to solve the problem
The idea is you have to know the answer to the problem to be allowed to say there is a problem
You have to know the solution to say it needs to be fixed
It's bullshit
I'm going to be honest... I don't feel this fits this situation at all.

In my eyes, we've established there's a problem... the inequality of education across the country, we're in agreeance. Now we're discussing potential solutions, and this is what we're finding difficult. In my opinion, funding plays a big role in this, but I don't agree that immediately scrapping the current funding model is the solution. Working slowly towards a different funding model while looking at other aspects is my thought. You have a different opinion.

What I definitely don't agree with is the general 'private schools are all evil' posts. And I will challenge those.

They went to a private school. Also, no one was obliged to enrol them as it was a Year 11 student.
Private schools enrolling kids who threaten to kill. Where the hell is this amazing area you work in?
I'm going to be honest... I don't feel this fits this situation at all.

In my eyes, we've established there's a problem... the inequality of education across the country, we're in agreeance. Now we're discussing potential solutions, and this is what we're finding difficult. In my opinion, funding plays a big role in this, but I don't agree that immediately scrapping the current funding model is the solution. Working slowly towards a different funding model while looking at other aspects is my thought. You have a different opinion.

What I definitely don't agree with is the general 'private schools are all evil' posts. And I will challenge those.
Sorry you seem to have good intentions but unfortunately I reckon youre a "can kicker". We've had decades of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back