Preview: AFLW Rnd 2 - Carlton v GWS Gameday/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a few days ago Doss and the others were arguing about how long it takes to walk from Royal Park train station to Princes Park. Many said between 15-30 minutes. It is 1.1km, it takes about 7-8 minutes to walk. A short walk up the bycicle track, up Leaver Street and your there. It takes just as long to walk from West Footscray station to Whitten Oval or Victoria Park station to Victoria Park. Sure you can't see the ground from the station, but with all the tree's around that is as close as anyone could get.

They say the ground lacks in public transport when there is a station already there, it just isn't branded as Carlton Station. Plus there is the tram line too.
Trams on Lygon St too, about a 5-10 min walk to the stops.

I remember a few days ago Doss and the others were arguing about how long it takes to walk from Royal Park train station to Princes Park. Many said between 15-30 minutes. It is 1.1km, it takes about 7-8 minutes to walk. A short walk up the bycicle track, up Leaver Street and your there. It takes just as long to walk from West Footscray station to Whitten Oval or Victoria Park station to Victoria Park. Sure you can't see the ground from the station, but with all the tree's around that is as close as anyone could get.

They say the ground lacks in public transport when there is a station already there, it just isn't branded as Carlton Station. Plus there is the tram line too.
anyone else get the feeling dadaguy is only ever a local by-law away from the soap-box?

and Brisbane at home next 2 games

Really impressive for them to win 2 AWAY games in a row, when none of these girls would have had to travel to play a game of footy before, it would have been relatively local.

Also commentators keep referring to them as being one of the weaker teams and these are 'upsets' but at this point we should be judging the teams on what they're producing now as a form indicator since they are in a professional environment now. Some adapt better than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is it just my colour-blind eyes, or is the Navy the women wear lighter than the guys?

Seems they have tried to differentiate the shading/tone across the whole comp. Each club has the "same" colour but seems to be less shiny - maybe a flat/dusty version of the team's colours. Plus the additional accent line or two - for us light blue. Still getting used to it, but like it.

As much as I love our marquee players, if I had to pick one player from the whole competition it would still be Tayla Harris. Absolute beast roaming around that forward line, one of the best contested marks I have seen and usually backs it up with accurate kicking. Just commands respect, it is hard to believe she is still only 19.

In terms of raw talent, I think she has just as much as any 'star' going around in the men's competition. That's right .. come at me haters.

There is no way that Royal Park station is as close to Princes Park as what Victoria Park station is to Victoria Park, or West Footscray is to the Western Oval. It's not even as close to Princes Park as what Glenbervie station is to Windy Hill.

As much as I love our marquee players, if I had to pick one player from the whole competition it would still be Tayla Harris. Absolute beast roaming around that forward line, one of the best contested marks I have seen and usually backs it up with accurate kicking. Just commands respect, it is hard to believe she is still only 19.

In terms of raw talent, I think she has just as much as any 'star' going around in the men's competition. That's right .. come at me haters.
She has an iconic kicking action, but I'm not sure it actually gives any extra power to her kicks.

No one who watched the game is arguing with you mate she took some amazing contested marks and is like what the Lions used to have with Jonathan Brown in the forward line.

Having said that, at this stage i'd still choose our 2 marquee girls...they have been the best performing set of marquee players in the comp imo so we've nailed both selections. Vescio is a star and looks dangerous every time the ball is in her area and is the leading goal kicker so far, while also creating others & Davey has been racking them up and is so solid in defence while providing creative rebound.

Good balance having 1 at each end of the ground.

No one who watched the game is arguing with you mate she took some amazing contested marks and is like what the Lions used to have with Jonathan Brown in the forward line.

Having said that, at this stage i'd still choose our 2 marquee girls...they have been the best performing set of marquee players in the comp imo so we've nailed both selections. Vescio is a star and looks dangerous every time the ball is in her area and is the leading goal kicker so far, while also creating others & Davey has been racking them up and is so solid in defence while providing creative rebound.

Good balance having 1 at each end of the ground.

That's fair enough and you are probably right, certainly cannot complain one bit about what our 2 marquee players have brought to the table thus far. I just feel that from the 2-3 times I have seen Harris play, she is that extremely rare player that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and wrench it away from the opposition, but our girls are pretty close to that level too.

I certainly wouldn't change it now - they are navy blue through and through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back