Roast Power social media team

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

Is that some generic stuff from AFL house forced upon us to post, or did someone at Alberton think that up themselves and reckon it would be cool to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching the Front Bar tonite, and John Schumann was on at the end, playing a song he had written celebrating the great game of Aussie Rues.

Good little ditty - but it sounded an awful lot like that "Power to the People" song he did years ago for the AFC.

Same tune, some identical lyrics.

Maybe the club should start playing that song again- either pre-game or at half time?

Was watching the Front Bar tonite, and John Schumann was on at the end, playing a song he had written celebrating the great game of Aussie Rues.

Good little ditty - but it sounded an awful lot like that "Power to the People" song he did years ago for the AFC.

Same tune, some identical lyrics.

Maybe the club should start playing that song again- either pre-game or at half time?

I heard a story years ago that he wrote Power to the People for the club to potentially be the club song, but when it wasn't chosen he withdrew it and asked it not be publicised that he entered, he then re-wrote the chorus and released it as One True Game so it could be marketed to the wider football public. The songs are identical aside from the chorus.

I heard a story years ago that he wrote Power to the People for the club to potentially be the club song, but when it wasn't chosen he withdrew it and asked it not be publicised that he entered, he then re-wrote the chorus and released it as One True Game so it could be marketed to the wider football public. The songs are identical aside from the chorus.
I think the reason it wasn't chosen, was that John wanted royalties for the song. I had a chat to John in 2014 about it at the Port Club just before ANZAC round, and he said that its normal to pay royalties to an artist who writes a song. He made it sound like it was mutual agreement not to go ahead with that as the club song, because of the disagreement over royalties.

Unlike Les Kaczmarek (ex Cold Chisel) and Quetin Eyres who wrote the Power club song, John isn't as a rusted on Port fan, passionate but not rusted on like them and has done stuff with the club, including a lot of stuff around our ADF programs. The other 2 donated the song to the club, no royalties charged. John's muso's union, artists not getting screwed background, come into play.

I reckon he performed Power to the People on The Footy Show around 2005 before McGuire left to go become CEO of 9 Network, which he did in February 2006 and didn't come back until to The Footy Show until 2017. It might have been a year or two later, but John was signing it at some interstate club supporter group shows in 2008/2009 and I reckon it was in 2010, maybe 2011, that the club played it at a few games at Footy Park at half time, or maybe it was pregame.

Should always check Big Footy.

I started this thread in mid 2008 after the history of the song was discussed by Crackers Keenan in Inside Football magazine.

The bin fire that is our social media is at it again. Ugh...

Maybe Port should be Slowpoke, because I made this s**t below in 2016:

wHFEFSD.jpg

Did some other cringy Pokemon s**t around that time, probably when Pokemon Go was peaking.

Did some other cringy Pokemon s**t around that time, probably when Pokemon Go was peaking.

Maybe that's what lead to me making that pic? I honestly don't remember. lol

Edit: Also found this superior version:

QVwZiL7.jpg

This isn't strictly social media, but how have they managed to make a ******* Zak Butters highlight clip unwatchable?

This isn't strictly social media, but how have they managed to make a ******* Zak Butters highlight clip unwatchable?

I haven’t watched it yet. But the length is weird. It’s just 2’ long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back