Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of articles here RE Wells and the draft from Geelong Advertiser.

First one is just about his record etc

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/11/27/34161_gfc.html

Second includes a few comments from the man himself.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/11/27/34151_gfc.html

Interesting in the article we have 3 rookie picks? I read recently where the AFL had expanded the rookie list by 2 due to intro of GC17 but this must also mean Ranga as a scholarship player doesnt count? If someone understands this better please let me know. Thanks.

After watching footage of Swift I hope we take him at 15 if he's there. I doubt the guys mentioned here Johnson and Trengove will last. Only reading about Broadbent but I do hope we take him at 33 if still around as he would fit our defensive structure. This is the issue too as we need to go tall also!
Wouldnt have a clue from there.

Good luck Stephen.

Looks at handy footballer , but I doubt he would make an immediate impact and without that he will probably become another Prismall , a talented kid struggling to get a chance.
If we take him , we better be dam sure that we have the cattle to replace Egan , NAblett and and probably Milburn and Harley very soon.

I could see Smith and Broadbent replacing Harley and Milburn down the track. Post could be a replacement for Egan but I would doubt we would take three backmen in the one draft.

Cornelius for N.Ablett.

You know what I'm loving - other than numerous drafts having Broadbent coming to Geelong - is that a number of the players we have all thrown up appear to be in the mix.

While guys like Trengove and Swift are obvious choices it is some of the "lesser" lights that we have mentioned that keep popping up - Broadbent, Shuey, Smith (although his name is getting brighter) & Cornelius.

Coupled with Ediriwickrama (who I have little doubt will be elevated right away to replace Egan) I have a positive feel about this weekend. Add the O'Keefe boys (Rhys & Nathan) and it could be very good for us despite having late picks.

I'm just hoping we grab a key defender though - early or late doesn't matter, I have faith in Wells & Co. there.

You know what I'm loving - other than numerous drafts having Broadbent coming to Geelong - is that a number of the players we have all thrown up appear to be in the mix.

While guys like Trengove and Swift are obvious choices it is some of the "lesser" lights that we have mentioned that keep popping up - Broadbent, Shuey, Smith (although his name is getting brighter) & Cornelius.

Coupled with Ediriwickrama (who I have little doubt will be elevated right away to replace Egan) I have a positive feel about this weekend. Add the O'Keefe boys (Rhys & Nathan) and it could be very good for us despite having late picks.

I'm just hoping we grab a key defender though - early or late doesn't matter, I have faith in Wells & Co. there.

I have actually wondered whether Burgan has looked at this thread before compiling his mock its so close!!!

Interesting in the article we have 3 rookie picks? I read recently where the AFL had expanded the rookie list by 2 due to intro of GC17 but this must also mean Ranga as a scholarship player doesnt count? If someone understands this better please let me know. Thanks.

The NSW scholarship is classed as a "special" rookie listing that isn't added to the "normal" rookie list. Well that is how it was described to me. This rule was made for the project NSW players that may have been classed as not quite up to standard or too risky to fill up a normal rookie spot that would have been given to a more likely to "make it" type player. It gets them to an AFL club and gives them that chance to make it, when otherwise they wouldn't have been given such an opportunity.

Clubs are now taking advantage of this by listing talented players (like Ranga) as special scholarship rookies for absolutely no cost. No draft picks used, no places on the list taken up.

You do wonder how much of this stuff feeds on itself, though. From the second Addy article:

The Cats have been linked with small midfielder Steele Sidebottom, who kicked 10 goals in the TAC Cup grand final, and super-quick onballer Ashley Smith in phantom drafts.

The only phantom that had us taking Sidebottom was the Hun's, and I think it was blindingly obvious that that was because he is clearly a first round pick but no-one had taken him. Likewise the BF official and now Burgatron have taking Smith. So essentially they've got NFI :p.

Looking at those picks, the more I think the club will be picking with a view to long-term replacement as opposed to immediate impact. Smith looms as a natural replacement for Woja whilst Broadbent could eventually step up to fill shoes - not only Milburns, as we've been saying, but also Enright's. Tall defenders will obviously take a few seasons to mature.

Incidentally, my enthusiasm for Trengove has waned slightly after reading he models himself on - wait for it - Paddy Ryder and Andrew Mackie.

Hmmm.

I don't proclaim to be an expert nor do i take much from phantom drafts, so i'm making my judgements purely on what i've seen and i would be more than happy if we jagged either of Lewis Johnston or Ash Smith.
I wouldn't have a problem with Tom Swift, either.

Regardless of how we go, i have the utmost respect for, and faith in, Stephen Wells to make the correct choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm is ash smith worth a first round pick? dont know tbh. the impression i get from burgos changed draft is that the whole order seems to be changed when really it shouldnt have that big an impact. e.g blease originally went to the saints yet in the second one he i s still available at their pick and they pass on him :confused::confused::confused:. seems a bit strange. geelong on the otherhand still end up with ash smith even though the rest of the list nearly turns on its head around them. does he know something we dont??? is ash smith a near lock in for the cats???

Very interesting article in The Age this morning.

Apparently Geelong have interviewed and are very interested in Essendon reject Tom Hislop. Although Hislop is the only Class 2 player in the draft. This means he has put a price on his head and is assured of being selected. That will leave Geelong being extremely tight to the max cap.

What does everyone think of drafting Hislop?

Apparently Geelong have interviewed and are very interested in Essendon reject Tom Hislop. Although Hislop is the only Class 2 player in the draft. This means he has put a price on his head and is assured of being selected. That will leave Geelong being extremely tight to the max cap.

No thanks:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

If we were to use pick 39 I would much rather take someone like Jordan Jones and not Hislop

dont really understand... does this mean that he can command a higher price???

I like Hislop. I find it interesting that he has named a price. A bloke who hasn't done much wouldn't have that much bargaining power.

TBH i'd rather we get benny c then Hislop.

Rizzo don't get too excited yet but this is Burgans latest phantom top 20:

Matt Burgan’s latest top 20

– MELBOURNE – Jack Watts

2 – WEST COAST EAGLES – Nicholas Naitanui

3 – FREMANTLE – Stephen Hill

4 – PORT ADELAIDE – Hamish Hartlett

5 – ESSENDON – Michael Hurley

6 – CARLTON – Chris Yarran

7 – BRISBANE LIONS – Jack Ziebell

8 – RICHMOND – Tyrone Vickery

9 – NORTH MELBOURNE – Steele Sidebottom

10 – ADELAIDE – Jackson Trengove

11 – COLLINGWOOD – Daniel Rich

12 – SYDNEY SWANS – Mitchell Brown

13 – ST KILDA – Tom Lynch

14 – WESTERN BULLDOGS – Ayce Cordy

15 – GEELONG – Lewis Johnston

16 – HAWTHORN – Phil Davis

17 – MELBOURNE – Sam Blease

18 – WEST COAST EAGLES – Tom Swift

19 – MELBOURNE – Ryan Schoenmakers

20 – WEST COAST EAGLES – David Zaharakis

Your wish may just become a reality!!

Rizzo don't get too excited yet but this is Burgans latest phantom top 20:

Your wish may just become a reality!!

If you could see my face right now haha. Cmon Burger! get a cats pick righ

*Blows*

Rich at 11? I don't really know shit, but not much could have changed between now and draft camp, where Rich was a potential number 1, and definite top 3 pick...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back