Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

with Gamble and Stokes waiting in the wings as well for greater depth :eek:

I forgot about Vegas, he'd get a game before chappy who would be nearly 30 in 2012. Chappy as an impact player :eek:

The depth of talent in this draft has caught a few people out - it would have to rate up there as one of the strongest draft years.

When guys like De Boer, Allwright, Sibosado, Milne, Pearce and Klemke are rookied it shows the type of quality that was still around.

Bit disappointed that Kitchen from Eastern and Shannon from Port Adelaide didn't find homes but I guess that adds to qualtity argument.

Anyone surprised with Dawson going to St. Kilda??

And I'll go early - Allwright will get on to a senior list (hopefully Geelong's). I reckon this kid is a goer. Only seen bits of him but he looks like a player. He really stood out in the championship game I saw. I think I have found a player to fill the void that is Broadbent.

I know all supporters say this but I think the Cats have done really well with their selections this year. Would have liked another KP Defender (or forward) but I think all these kids (one definite - no pressure of course ;)) could be potential elevations.

If you combine the two drafts we have picked up a nice mix of players -

one KP tall forward - Brown;
one KP tall back - Gillies;
two small forwards - Motlop, Varcoe;
two defensive mids - Allright, Weadon;
one running, small backman - Hunt.

All up I reckon we have done well. We have addressed the replacement of our most ageing players in Harley, Milburn with Gillies and perhaps Allright who can play a similar role.

Brown will also be a terrific replacement for Nathan Ablett.

I reckon 18 months ago Bomber and Wells would not have envisaged we would have lost both our future CHF and CHB in two seasons. I think we have gone a long way to replacing them - although another quality tall backman would be nice. Hopefully either McKenna or Simpson can be groomed to play this role.

I have heard;

McCartney was surprised we picked up Brown given the tape he had seen, but when he saw him in the flesh, 'will be an A1 gun, best kick I've seen'.

Absolutely wrapped with Hunt and Gillies also.

I saw Brown do 3 special things in a game against ACK earlier this year. 3 times he pushed hard from CHF to take marks from Mentone's kick outs. Each time he kicked short to a target and then ran hard towards his forward 50. They kicked into space everytime and each time he marked running back with the flight and kicked long goals. He got absolutely cleaned up with one attempt but he picked himself up and kicked a goal from outside 50. It was amazing stuff. He kicked 7 or 8 that day and nearly beat us on his own.

We had never seen or heard of this guy before but he left a huge impression on everyone that was present that day.

I have no doubt that Wellsy has pulled another master stroke here as this guy can seriously play. I nearly fell of my chair when i heard his name called for us.

I saw Brown do 3 special things in a game against ACK earlier this year. 3 times he pushed hard from CHF to take marks from Mentone's kick outs. Each time he kicked short to a target and then ran hard towards his forward 50. They kicked into space everytime and each time he marked running back with the flight and kicked long goals. He got absolutely cleaned up with one attempt but he picked himself up and kicked a goal from outside 50. It was amazing stuff. He kicked 7 or 8 that day and nearly beat us on his own.

We had never seen or heard of this guy before but he left a huge impression on everyone that was present that day.

I have no doubt that Wellsy has pulled another master stroke here as this guy can seriously play. I nearly fell of my chair when i heard his name called for us.

Nice anecdote. Sounds very Reiwoldtesk (except the kid can kick)

I know when I heard his name called out I said to myself "who?" I thought for sure we would take Trengrove.

Had a golden day at work today - shortly before going into spasm as The Timber Merchant sauntered past, saw Mitch Brown. He's tall but skinny as a rake - will really need to bulk up if he's going to play seniors this year.

Had a golden day at work today - shortly before going into spasm as The Timber Merchant sauntered past, saw Mitch Brown. He's tall but skinny as a rake - will really need to bulk up if he's going to play seniors this year.

Get him on the protein powder and phosphocreatine supplement, then he'll be right :thumbsu:;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FYI:
Rizzo’s top 30 talents of 2008
23. Mithcell Friall

rizzo - there is a whisper going around that Mitchell Fraill has landed at Central Districts in the SANFL.

A super strong club in a good competition might see him pop up in the draft later this year.

Might be one to keep an eye on if the rumour mill over the border is on song.

A year in the VFL this year.
A couple of games in seniors in 2010.
With S Simpson and Hawkins, part of a three-pronged premiership forward line in 2011.

:D

Originally Posted by rizzo
Steve J - Scott Simpson - Chapman
Motlop - Hawkins - A. Varcoe

Looks brilliant.

I am not sure how to look at this. If this is suggesting Hawkins at fullforward with Scott Simpson at CHF then I would be happy with that.

Originally Posted by rizzo
Steve J - Scott Simpson - Chapman
Motlop - Hawkins - A. Varcoe

Looks brilliant.

I am not sure how to look at this. If this is suggesting Hawkins at fullforward with Scott Simpson at CHF then I would be happy with that.

Yep. That's what I meant.

On that note is it time for a Potential Draftee Watch 2009 thread yet? Saw the Chargers at training yesterday and am determined to actually see some of them this year as I work just around the corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back