Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

+

An away win,the effort in the last 6 to dig in and fight was pretty good
Lycett was awesome, so much better than Sinclair.
Hill, often maligned, but his work in getting back to help the backline this year has been very good, plus he has a little bit of the x factor.

-
We have the best tap ruckman in the comp, yet we still seem to not completely dominate the work in the ball ups, too many taps to the same space.
Watching at the game, and the over the back goals are frustrating, especially when the players are reasonably close, so many times the defender is watching the play and not the player sneaking behind him, need to be more aware of what is around them.
Port fans are by far the worst fans in the league, and i've been to many games here in Melbourne with Tigers and Pies fans, the vitriol from the Port fans directed at Gaff was horrible ie : get on the stretcher you r etard, no wonder all the Crows fans were saying to us around town, please beat the ferals.

That midfield got 45 clearances which is the most of the round so far.

At the moment that midfield is ranked #1 for clearances for the year (GWS & WB likely to be ahead tomorrow).

Port have the 2nd most clearances for the year, so it's a fair effort to beat them in that department.

That midfield also absorbed nearly 100 tackles from Port and managed to get the ball into our 50 on 61 occasions! Which is 2nd to Adelaide for the round who played an under 12s team.

Port are 3rd for inside 50s, we are 4th for the season, so again they're no slouches, but we bested them again.

The midfield certainly needs to improve overall, they are certainly behind the top teams, but I thought today they were very good against strong opposition, away from home.
Love these kind of posts , well researched , puts a lot of negative whiners on our board back in their box

Positives:
-Absorbed an enormous amount of pressure from Port. They were manic today and just kept coming. First time this year we have stood up under pressure for the most part.
-Lycett. He is quickly becoming a gun, and he is still so young. Should only get better.
-JK. A big guy shouldn't be able to move like he does. Amazing.

Negatives:
-Jonas. Dirty. 5-6 week holiday.
-Commentators wtf?
-Lecras and Darling were well down.

I have no issue with us grinding an away win out. They aren't as good as Sydney or Hawthorn but we didn't lay down after they got a run on. If thats how we win away games by smallish margins im happy with that

+'s

JK - Arguably the best forward in the game, Buddy is a once in a generation type freak but JK has him covered in a lot of areas as well. He is the leader our boys need.

Hurn - Solid courageous game with some trademark kicks that hurt the opposition greatly.

Masten - Opened everything up through the corridor, knew how to find the space in there himself as well as spot up an option in a very dangerous position. Has an awesome field kick, still needs to work on getting hands free.

Priddis - Great game in the contest, some awesome handballs and didn't do a lot wrong (HTB was NN's fault)

Team spirit - Players like JK, Hutch, Lycett and Shep that have that Cousins factor where it looks like they'll bleed for the club. Awesome to see these guys playing well, don't have to be a superstar to have heart.

Cripps/Hill - Boys had a good game as a duo, Cripps' opening quarter and Hill's last quarter in particular, lots of little things added up to a really good game for them both with nothing overly outstanding.

Lycett - Continuing the Eagle's strong tradition of developing awesome rucks. Can mark, lead, play at ground level and kick goals. His rucking almost seems to be a bonus.

Rebound - Some of the kicks today (Hutch, Yeo, Masto and Hurn come to mind) were drop dead gorgeous and lead directly to scores. Beautiful work. Although on the flipside we're vulnerable to being hurt on the rebound.

-'s

Shuey/Duggan - Didn't rate their games at all, poor disposal from both of them. Duggan tends to think he has less time then he has, he wont even look up sometimes when he loads up a kick. Shuey uncharacteristically bad by foot and hand

Emac - Still baffles me at times with his decisions, really really confuses me as to what he's seeing out there. Looked more confident in his intercepts though.

Lecras - Maybe needs to be given a rest, wont happen against GC though, will probably make it to the bye. I'm sure his rewards will come in time and I hope they come in style.

-
The tendency of our midfield to panic with the ball and throw it on the boot. It's a credit to our forward and backline that we managed to end up with possession more often than not but it's that kind of play that kills us against good teams. I think it's at the point where enough players are doing it to say it's a team directive, and I think we're burning better outlets.

I like Hutchings in our midfield, but he's shanked a number of easy i50's the last few weeks.

+
JK
Lycett

Pretty sure even Hill is wetting his pants at the look on Slyce's face.

440640_gl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff going down did have some effect we were down 12 Rotations. But agree with the good to terrible comment. We have done the same this year

I have noticed this is the case in most of our games ' about 10 fewer rotations a game than the opposition. I think it a strategy to build up our endurance for the business end of the season.

+
JK, get him up here I want to boof him
Winning on the road in a fairly tough contest where we were challenged a number of times, was really worried we'd blow it in the last ten minutes
Our players showing some spine after the Gaff KO

-
Lecras
Dare I suggest we are developing an over-reliance on one player (JK)?
Gaff KO
Our players shaking hands with Jonas after the game, like WTF???
Port adelaide fans booing during the set shot we got for the Gaff KO
Port adelaide
the commentators
Channel 7

+ last quarter was painful with PA coming home hard, but not shitting the bed and holding out with gaffy gone was a huge plus. losing one of our most important mids dented how we ran the game out significantly.

+JK
+away win
+lycett, priddis, NN and hutch
-gaffs hit
-jonas
- not having beau waters to deliver some rough justice to the gutless hack
-footskills were average, could have had the game wrapped up the 3rd quarter if we were cleaner
-lack of communication in defence lead to a handful of port goal. also web was easily broken.

+ Hutch's kick between two different groups of players that led Hill to the ball, handball over the top, Cripps dribble goal. Was comfortably kick of the night and deserves it's own point.

Went back and watched that passage again after reading this post. Yes the kick was a beauty but the handball that fed the ball out to Hutch was even better courtesy of one Mark Lecras

Only thing i would change is Nelson in to see what he would do in the biffo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back