AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind that we sent Lachie, he's new and exciting like the AFLW team. And he is a distinctive face of Port Adelaide.

Looks like the captain will be one of Erin Phillips, Gemma Houghton or Hannah Dunn.

12406C61-B351-4673-B229-A6CF75390F0B.jpeg

POWER OF 1 IN TRUE TRADITION

Among the top contenders to become the inaugural AFLW captain are experienced Fremantle dual All-Australian key forward Gemma Houghton, former Gold Coast Suns captain Hannah Dunn and former Adelaide co-captain Erin Phillips.

The Power’s home kit features the classic black base, with teal and white ‘V’s’ and a teal strip around the collar, while the black shorts are edged in teal.

An inverted version of the guernsey will see the footballers wear predominantly teal for clash games, with the design not dissimilar to one the Port’s men wore in pre-season matches in 2015 and 2017.

The white shorts are also edged in teal, while the playing socks are black, featuring a thick teal strip, flanked by thin white lines.

Triple AFLW premiership winner Phillips, 37, said pulling on the Port playing kit for the first time was a significant milestone for both herself and the club.

“It’s special and I still catch myself looking down and going ‘oh my god, this is real, playing for a club I’ve always grown up admiring and wanting to play for’,” she said.

As for captaincy, Phillips said it would be an honour for whoever becomes inaugural leader.

“It is obviously the highest honour to be named captain of your team, especially at this club,” she said.

“Even asking my dad (Greg) who got to do it (1991-93), he always speaks about it being the highest honour and that one of his greatest memories of being at Port Adelaide, was getting to lead the team.

“Whoever gets that honour it’s going to be special.”

West Australian Houghton, who supported Port Adelaide growing up and went on to play 46 games and kick 40 goals in six seasons at Fremantle, said the side was lucky to have many potential leaders within its ranks.

“I have the very strong belief that whoever wears No.1 will do an amazing job and lead us out there,” she said.

“With the deep rich history that we have as a club, I think whoever gets that role is going to take it with pride and really lead us, not just as a playing group but the club in the community as well.”

Power head of AFLW, Juliet Haslam said she was pleased the club’s inaugural jumpers had retained the classic Port Adelaide design.

“They feel symbolic of our club, but with a fresh twist,” she said. “More than anything, we want our female footballers to feel like an important part of this club, so keeping with the playing kit style we know and love was significant to us.”

The Power will likely wear its new clash strip when it takes on Essendon at The Hangar in a pre-season game slated for August 13, before its round 1 game against West Coast on August 27.

Looks like the captain will be one of Erin Phillips, Gemma Houghton or Hannah Dunn.

View attachment 1458477

POWER OF 1 IN TRUE TRADITION

Among the top contenders to become the inaugural AFLW captain are experienced Fremantle dual All-Australian key forward Gemma Houghton, former Gold Coast Suns captain Hannah Dunn and former Adelaide co-captain Erin Phillips.

The Power’s home kit features the classic black base, with teal and white ‘V’s’ and a teal strip around the collar, while the black shorts are edged in teal.

An inverted version of the guernsey will see the footballers wear predominantly teal for clash games, with the design not dissimilar to one the Port’s men wore in pre-season matches in 2015 and 2017.

The white shorts are also edged in teal, while the playing socks are black, featuring a thick teal strip, flanked by thin white lines.

Triple AFLW premiership winner Phillips, 37, said pulling on the Port playing kit for the first time was a significant milestone for both herself and the club.

“It’s special and I still catch myself looking down and going ‘oh my god, this is real, playing for a club I’ve always grown up admiring and wanting to play for’,” she said.

As for captaincy, Phillips said it would be an honour for whoever becomes inaugural leader.

“It is obviously the highest honour to be named captain of your team, especially at this club,” she said.

“Even asking my dad (Greg) who got to do it (1991-93), he always speaks about it being the highest honour and that one of his greatest memories of being at Port Adelaide, was getting to lead the team.

“Whoever gets that honour it’s going to be special.”

West Australian Houghton, who supported Port Adelaide growing up and went on to play 46 games and kick 40 goals in six seasons at Fremantle, said the side was lucky to have many potential leaders within its ranks.

“I have the very strong belief that whoever wears No.1 will do an amazing job and lead us out there,” she said.

“With the deep rich history that we have as a club, I think whoever gets that role is going to take it with pride and really lead us, not just as a playing group but the club in the community as well.”

Power head of AFLW, Juliet Haslam said she was pleased the club’s inaugural jumpers had retained the classic Port Adelaide design.

“They feel symbolic of our club, but with a fresh twist,” she said. “More than anything, we want our female footballers to feel like an important part of this club, so keeping with the playing kit style we know and love was significant to us.”

The Power will likely wear its new clash strip when it takes on Essendon at The Hangar in a pre-season game slated for August 13, before its round 1 game against West Coast on August 27.

Lauren spoke highly of Ange Foley too, in that interview that was posted here a couple of days ago, so she should also be in consideration, unless coming back from a knee reco rules her out.

They've had a go at our best "21":

Interesting enough, good to see our top draft picks are all there: Sachi, Goodwin and Ewings. Teakle possibly a bit of a bolter for her age? I don't know.
Teakle was recently in the wafl team of the year, so I guess there is exposed form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone else been told that W tickets are included with Club 1870 membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back