Point Posts - What's the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

bardox

Rookie
Sep 24, 2023
AFL Club
St Kilda
I want to hear an argument, just one argument, for why the game needs point posts that doesn't involve "tradition".

In the Grand Final, Brisbane kicked 13 goals to Collingwood's 12 goals. If the AFL wasn't a stupid sport, this would mean Brisbane win. However, because the AFL is a stupid sport, clinging onto rules and traditions thought up by stupid cricketers in the 1800s, we have "point posts", which exist solely to reward teams for inaccuracy in front of goal. They exist to reward bad football.

Imagine if soccer teams were rewarded with a consolation point for landing 20+ shots for a match that didn't result in goals, or if they added secondary nets flanking the main goal, and scoring in one was worth 1/6th of a goal. The whole sport would become a farce. That is more or less what the AFL is, but of course, the mere suggestion of abolishing the point posts will be met with the usual NPCs screeching " no you can't do that! It's part of the game's DNA! Stop changing da rooooolz!!".

AFL will always be a dumb sport. Simple as that.

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

I want to hear an argument, just one argument, for why the game needs point posts that doesn't involve "tradition".

In the Grand Final, Brisbane kicked 13 goals to Collingwood's 12 goals. If the AFL wasn't a stupid sport, this would mean Brisbane win. However, because the AFL is a stupid sport, clinging onto rules and traditions thought up by stupid cricketers in the 1800s, we have "point posts", which exist solely to reward teams for inaccuracy in front of goal. They exist to reward bad football.

Imagine if soccer teams were rewarded with a consolation point for landing 20+ shots for a match that didn't result in goals, or if they added secondary nets flanking the main goal, and scoring in one was worth 1/6th of a goal. The whole sport would become a farce. That is more or less what the AFL is, but of course, the mere suggestion of abolishing the point posts will be met with the usual NPCs screeching " no you can't do that! It's part of the game's DNA! Stop changing da rooooolz!!".

Behinds exist to prevent draws, not to reward missed shots. We'd have a lot more draws if it weren't for behinds, is that what you'd prefer?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Oh No Omg GIF by TrueReal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if all the sports around the world were the same.
I mean what is also the point of soccer players being allowed to have hands? All it does is create controversy and win teams world cups like Maradonna!

Chop em off or you cant play i say! 🤣🤣

I think everyone is being unfair on OP.

Lets get rid of the point posts.
Also maybe add a bar to the top of the goals and a net so it's easier to see if it's a goal.
There are also too many injuries , let's get rid of tackling, in fact do not let players use their hands at all , it's just safer.
What's the point of wings aside from tradition ? Lets make the stadiums a rectangle.
Bring in a send off rule too.

Behinds exist to prevent draws, not to reward missed shots. We'd have a lot more draws if it weren't for behinds, is that what you'd prefer?
Did I say anything about abolishing the behind? This thread is about point posts. Obviously you keep some form of scoring for times the ball crosses the goal line without being kicked by the attacking player.

Also if draws are such a big problem, you just bring in overtime or a shootout system. It shouldn't come down to posts that exist for the sole purpose of rewarding inaccuracy.

I think everyone is being unfair on OP.

Lets get rid of the point posts.
Also maybe add a bar to the top of the goals and a net so it's easier to see if it's a goal.
There are also too many injuries , let's get rid of tackling, in fact do not let players use their hands at all , it's just safer.
What's the point of wings aside from tradition ? Lets make the stadiums a rectangle.
Bring in a send off rule too.
It is not my problem that you're unintelligent.

Did I say anything about abolishing the behind? This thread is about point posts. Obviously you keep some form of scoring for times the ball crosses the goal line without being kicked by the attacking player.

Also if draws are such a big problem, you just bring in overtime or a shootout system. It shouldn't come down to posts that exist for the sole purpose of rewarding inaccuracy.
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Should archery, darts, shooting etc only have one target? Footy is not unique in this respect.

Footy is also not unique in having some quirky features. For example, why in rugby is kicking a conversion worth half (or more) of the value of a try? Kicking a conversion doesnt really have anything to do with 'general play' in rugby, yet it can be decisive.

Nonetheless, I too generally detest tradition arguments .

To me, the best arguments for keeping are:
- a small reward for being 'accurate enough' is reasonable and reduces the probability of draws
- aesthetics (unique look = fan association / identity and brand value)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back