2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
AFL players have been banned from interacting with the general public, for fear the vicious player appraisals could lead to depression.

At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught talking with friends or leaking valuable information to the public.

Labelled "not fair" and "I'm going to tell Mum if you don't stop" by the AFL Players' Association, clubs have taken the drastic step of encouraging a boycott of the fans.

"I wouldn't encourage any players to talk to them. I think it's for people not good enough to be players, and I think it's mostly for entertainment rather any decent feedback," AFLPA general manager of psychology, people and culture, Anderson Demetriou said yesterday.

"It's more your 'Player X you're s**t' and 'Player Y try harder' trivia."

"I would agree with coaches telling players not to talk, but I would also encourage the players not to think of it in any way as criticism - it's just a random sample of people with not much better to do than give their money to the AFL."

Most football clubs have independent supporter meeting places, including the 'Gabba, Alberton Oval, the Lexus Centre, Arden Street and Windy Hill.

One of the most popular is Punt Road.

At these places, anonymous people drinking alcohol ritually attack players for their performances, and the criticisms sometimes carry racial and sexual overtones.

One coach, who did not want to draw attention to his players, yesterday said: "They get real nasty."

The coach said he was aware of one player receiving "particularly scathing" criticism and he had approached the player and asked if he was aware of it.

"Thankfully, he said it didn't matter because he didn't associate with the fans, but bloody oath, it could affect the player," the coach said. "It's a serious issue, a major issue.

One club official last night confirmed the coach had directed some of his players to stop talking to fans.

"Yes, we have suggested to some players they avoid fans," the official said.

A football manager from another club said he had addressed the issue with the players.

He also revealed he had warned support staff that if they leaked information to supporters, or people knowingly connected to the supporters, they would be sacked.

"We have said, 'Whatever you know is not to be passed on to people outside the club'," he said.

He said players had to avoid any scathing critiques.

"It's like abuse at the game, it could do your head in, and it's the same thing with pubs.

"You should hear some of it, it's rubbish. You've got to understand the ego of players and fragility comes with that as well."

Media sources say that this has been on their radar for some time, and have commissioned A Current Today-Tonight Affair to undertake a hidden camera investigation of rambling drunks, both male and female, after each round lurching from one form of abuse to another, aiming at players, coaches, administrators, and even the AFL at one point.

"Due to the strong language being captured, we're not showing it at our usual 6:30 timeslot, but at 10:30 Mondays - Footy Confidential - don't miss it!"

Grange yesterday said AFL footballers were in the "culture of celebrities".

"And there's a lot of nasty stuff out there," she said.

"There's no restriction of what people are able to say at hotels," Grange said.

"Anonymously hurling abuse at pubs about players is a form of bullying, it's public bullying of people in celebrity positions.

"And the footy players, unless they personally take some course of investigation, have got absolutely no comeback."

Grange said public criticism of players had been addressed, although pub criticism hadn't specifically been on the agenda.

"We talk to the players about building resilience about feedback and what they need to let through to the keeper, and what's actually value for them and how they make a choice about each," she said.

"We have a specific focus on strip joints and getting a lift home from anonymous fans at the moment, but that's going to happen with our lifestyle at the minute."

More serious, she said, were players' identities being claimed by bloggers.

"The biggest thing I've encountered in my role where it's been a problem is where people say that they know the friend of a mate of a player's brother and claim to be making comments on behalf of the player," she said.

"They get obviously quite upset about that. I even had a look at one of those websites that writes stuff about our club and players - www.afl.com.au - to think that the people out there who manage this "site" tell everyone that they are doing this in partnership with the AFL - yeah, I laughed when I saw it as well."

----
FWIW, yes it is a problem, but it is a problem that all of society faces. Whether it is an e-mail going around your workplace about you, or a web-site talking about what a c**p game you played on the weekend, or a newspaper editorial telling you what a s**t job you did with the Federal Budget, we are all in this world.
"I'll stop being paranoid, as long as those people talking about me just LEAVE ME ALONE!"

With an eye to the future the AFL is also studying the viability of closed football matches, whereby only players and officials are allowed into the ground, to further protect players from a hostile public and provide a safe working environment.

'Under this model, which we believe has everyone's best interests at heart, player welfare and emotional condition will be protected, while supporters will be able to enjoy watching their team almost live on television from home or at their local Foxtel-ready hotel.' said Andrew Demetriou, 'It's a win/win, and will save the AFL millions every year that can be pumped back into, err, stuff.'

Its high time they got rid of crowds at games too...the Umpires and Players might get all sad n stuff whenever they get too close to the fence and hear something.

Apparently at the MCG they are going to install a 'cone of silence' for each seat, so that no one can hear anyone else.

Telstra Dome is just banning crowds altogether. People can only gather at the big screen outside the ground and watch from there.

Oh my goodness.........

Is this for real.........it isn't April fools day!!!

Sure don't do to pubs and hang out with pissed idiots but not speaking with your fans???? Having closed games (this IS a joke right?)

So if this lovey dovey safe work environment is the way we are heading then politicians shouldn't speak to the public either....they might get criticised.:eek:

Apparently at the MCG they are going to install a 'cone of silence' for each seat, so that no one can hear anyone else.

Telstra Dome is just banning crowds altogether. People can only gather at the big screen outside the ground and watch from there.

Sounds like they're on top of it :thumbsu:

Only bad things can happen when u expose childlike players and umpires to the horrors of the public.

Surely they should be restricted to only reading some form of officially sanctioned "little golden book" with little pop up pictures telling them how wonderful they are and how beautiful the world is.

Now if we can just figure out a way to restrict them SEEING the public as well. Someone might flash the bird at them afterall.

We know these children are forced to go to media training courses where they are indoctrinated into the AFL party line and told what they can and cant say to the public and media....so whynot include some of those American styled hug and love sessions during the indoctrination process to help them cope ?

I'm hoping that the supporters get the opportunity to pay for those hug & love sessions, in the same way that the supporters get to contribute to the players' end-of-season trip. I'd hate the poor traumatised children to miss out on anything or heaven forbid use their own cash!

With an eye to the future the AFL is also studying the viability of closed football matches, whereby only players and officials are allowed into the ground, to further protect players from a hostile public and provide a safe working environment.

'Under this model, which we believe has everyone's best interests at heart, player welfare and emotional condition will be protected, while supporters will be able to enjoy watching their team almost live on television from home or at their local Foxtel-ready hotel.' said Andrew Demetriou, 'It's a win/win, and will save the AFL millions every year that can be pumped back into, err, stuff.'

I heard that they were going to build a cone of silence over the playing area and the races so that the players wouldn't be able to hear the crowd at any time. however the South Australian and Western Australian sides as well as Collingwood, Essendon and Carton put a stop to the idea on the grounds that the hostile crowds help them win, Collingwood stating that it's players gained incentive not to lose by the threats levelled at them by their own fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think more of those touchy feely shrink courses are needed.

They couldnt be trusted to learn about the birds and the bees...nor learn what women are and how to talk to them. So whynot send them to some more courses for idiots run by "psych experts" .... perhaps..

"' how to cop criticism without topping yaself "
" idiots guide to the human race "
" i'm good...no really i am "

Its part of the Afls carbon offset grand plan. All those energy consuming
grandstands will be replaced by trees.There will still be atmosphere at games,
provided by old audio of supporters cheering etc,much like American sicoms.
The Millions saved would probably go on players wages,as they would all
have to live in gated estates,like prisoners,just in case scum supporters
got near them.

Sure don't do to pubs and hang out with pissed idiots but not speaking with your fans???? Having closed games (this IS a joke right?)

Yep it is true.

All closed games will be played at Carrara:eek:

Look at the US and EPL - players are unapproachable.

Races will be covered over and sound proof doors installed.

The ‘carpark walk’ won’t exist, heavy security at Members After-Match.

And the losers who think the ‘seat on the fence’ rule applies everywhere, are the mushrooms that will create this.

Last edited:
I think more of those touchy feely shrink courses are needed.

They couldnt be trusted to learn about the birds and the bees...nor learn what women are and how to talk to them. So whynot send them to some more courses for idiots run by "psych experts" .... perhaps..

"' how to cop criticism without topping yaself "
" idiots guide to the human race "
" i'm good...no really i am "

Mushroom 1.

Players are not there for you to dump on.

You may have confused spectating sport with wife-bashing, but your attitude says you’re not spectating sport.

Take a pill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back