Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you related to him mate? It's pathetic. Why isn't Lienert, Clurey, Mayes, getting a game? Because there are better players in front of them. You guys keep on talking about how much he adds to our structure. How does a 4th tall do anything other than fu** our structure in the arse? Our small forwards are our one point of difference so with them all fit, we're not going with 4KPF. If we go with 3, who does Todd push out? Dixon is clear best goal kicking forward. Georgiades is the clear 2nd best goal kicking forward. It comes down to who do we want out of Ladhams or Marshall? No one in the AFL community outside of this stupid thread would pick Marshall over Ladhams. Literally 22 out of 23 players absolutely killed it at their role last night. Marshall was 'meh'. A fully fit Georgiades beats 'meh' any day. At least you can trust him from 25m out directly in front. A non-dominant 3rd tall who can't kick straight has no place in a team that wants to win a flag.

We have 2 of the most important games we have played for a long time coming up and Marshall's goals kicked are 2,3,0,1,0,0,3,0,1,2,0,2, 2,0,0,3,1,0,2,0,1. He kicked more than 1 goal twice in 14 games last year (both 2 goal games). 10 goals in 10 games in 2019. 1 goal in 3 games, Including a final in 2017. He's averaged 10 disposals this year, less than Ladhams and Dixon and equal with Georgiades. He's basically never strung 2 good games together so which game can we afford him to be a witches hat? Which one?

why do I have to defend him?

maybe its because the criticism of him is inane rubbish with the mental fortitude of a defective single celled amoeba?

its like your trying to prove my point by coming in here and raving that he's "only" getting similar disposals to a ruck / forward (wtf?) and a senior gun kf. and lamenting him regularly kicking goals.

since when has he been a witches hat? and imagine screaming that the 4 key forwards doesn't work when the body of work that drove us to 2nd on the ladder was built on the 4 talls working. and georgiades doesn't miss from 25m out? did you not watch the game last week or something? or this week when Dixon missed a sitter? or last week? imagine cracking the shits over 1 of our key forwards missing and suggesting that the other players don't miss.

Jesus ****ing christ.

He played closer to goal last night with Georgiades out. Our key forwards struggled to hit the scoreboard but they definitely controlled the aerial battle against a good intercept marking side and let our smalls cash in. The effort from all 3 of them was enormous and had a huge impact on our win.

I maintain we won't get it that easy against Brisbane or Melbourne and we need both of Mitch and Todd in to counter their intercept markers, but it'll be interesting to see what the coaches do.

Todd's set shot miss was disappointing after a nice mark but he was very good when the game was on the line in the first half. He only really faded in the last quarter when we'd gone into game management mode.

why do I have to defend him?

maybe its because the criticism of him is inane rubbish with the mental fortitude of a defective single celled amoeba?

its like your trying to prove my point by coming in here and raving that he's "only" getting similar disposals to a ruck / forward (wtf?) and a senior gun kf. and lamenting him regularly kicking goals.

since when has he been a witches hat? and imagine screaming that the 4 key forwards doesn't work when the body of work that drove us to 2nd on the ladder was built on the 4 talls working. and georgiades doesn't miss from 25m out? did you not watch the game last week or something? or this week when Dixon missed a sitter? or last week? imagine cracking the shits over 1 of our key forwards missing and suggesting that the other players don't miss.

Jesus ******* christ.

Dixon gets enough shots to make up for it, was AA last year and would have only just been out of the squad this year. George rarely misses. Ladhams offers more than his ability to kick goals and misses roughly the same amount as Marshall. The simple fact is Todd isn't a dominant player who can afford to not take his opportunities and he regularly fails to take opportunities that should be 9.9/10 chances for an AFL standard player. I'm sure Todd is the reason we are second placed. His 1.2 Goals 10 disposals a game and no ability to crash packs has been instrumental in leading us to the promised land this year. So in your scenario we play 4 talls. Who is coming out? Bonner - he's been good the past last month. Bergman - he's played well almost every game he's played and played well last night. Motlop? 2 goals and 15 last night. Butters? Fantasia? Maybe we don't pick our clear 2nd best forward in Georgiades even if he's fit? Your so smart, which one of the players that did their job last night, and the week before, and for the past month or so are coming out so Todd 'sometimes does his job' Marshall gets to keep his spot for being a good bloke.

So while you're wiping the dribble from your mouth, maybe you can come up with an answer better than we are winning so everyone gets to keep their spots.

Dixon gets enough shots to make up for it, was AA last year and would have only just been out of the squad this year. George rarely misses. Ladhams offers more than his ability to kick goals and misses roughly the same amount as Marshall. The simple fact is Todd isn't a dominant player who can afford to not take his opportunities and he regularly fails to take opportunities that should be 9.9/10 chances for an AFL standard player. I'm sure Todd is the reason we are second placed. His 1.2 Goals 10 disposals a game and no ability to crash packs has been instrumental in leading us to the promised land this year. So in your scenario we play 4 talls. Who is coming out? Bonner - he's been good the past last month. Bergman - he's played well almost every game he's played and played well last night. Motlop? 2 goals and 15 last night. Butters? Fantasia? Maybe we don't pick our clear 2nd best forward in Georgiades even if he's fit? Your so smart, which one of the players that did their job last night, and the week before, and for the past month or so are coming out so Todd 'sometimes does his job' Marshall gets to keep his spot for being a good bloke.

So while you're wiping the dribble from your mouth, maybe you can come up with an answer better than we are winning so everyone gets to keep their spots.
“No ability to crash packs”
Again showing you must watch the football with your eyes closed.

Todd's set shot miss was disappointing after a nice mark but he was very good when the game was on the line in the first half. He only really faded in the last quarter when we'd gone into game management mode.

He does it every 2nd or 3rd week. He has a 3 week cycle. 1 week he kicks 2-4 goals and looks like someone who has a future. The second week he plays alright and blows multiple 90% chances at goal, either because he misses dead easy shots, or because he won't take responsibility to take the kick and turns the ball over trying to give it off. The 3rd week he does nothing. All of our other forwards big and small offer more than that. With 3 talls doing their job, it's his responsibility to show the value of having a 4th. He has regularly failed to do so. If he gets left out, it won't be bad luck, it will be his failure to take his chances.

Dixon gets enough shots to make up for it, was AA last year and would have only just been out of the squad this year. George rarely misses. Ladhams offers more than his ability to kick goals and misses roughly the same amount as Marshall.

Todd is a statistically more accurate kick for goal than Mitch.

He literally stands at the back waiting for the ball to fall over the back like Josh Jenkins' little brother. Clearly you're not the one watching the games.

No he doesn’t. It’s ****ing bizarre that he got one goal out the back last night and he’s somehow now being labelled as always hanging out the back. What a load of shit

He does it every 2nd or 3rd week. He has a 3 week cycle. 1 week he kicks 2-4 goals and looks like someone who has a future. The second week he plays alright and blows multiple 90% chances at goal, either because he misses dead easy shots, or because he won't take responsibility to take the kick and turns the ball over trying to give it off. The 3rd week he does nothing. All of our other forwards big and small offer more than that. With 3 talls doing their job, it's his responsibility to show the value of having a 4th. He has regularly failed to do so. If he gets left out, it won't be bad luck, it will be his failure to take his chances.

The boldest is just complete bullshit. He's an above average kick for goal by any measure and his setup play is excellent.

You can argue that he doesn't compete hard enough in packs, but generally we kick to Dixon and Dixon only in pack situations. Making this argument after the Geelong game is pretty funny given how he competed all game and how we controlled the air despite having Georgiades out.

We've seen how well the 4 talls compliment each other over the past 6 weeks.

Are you related to him mate? It's pathetic. Why isn't Lienert, Clurey, Mayes, getting a game? Because there are better players in front of them. You guys keep on talking about how much he adds to our structure. How does a 4th tall do anything other than fu** our structure in the arse? Our small forwards are our one point of difference so with them all fit, we're not going with 4KPF. If we go with 3, who does Todd push out? Dixon is clear best goal kicking forward. Georgiades is the clear 2nd best goal kicking forward. It comes down to who do we want out of Ladhams or Marshall? No one in the AFL community outside of this stupid thread would pick Marshall over Ladhams. Literally 22 out of 23 players absolutely killed it at their role last night. Marshall was 'meh'. A fully fit Georgiades beats 'meh' any day. At least you can trust him from 25m out directly in front. A non-dominant 3rd tall who can't kick straight has no place in a team that wants to win a flag.

We have 2 of the most important games we have played for a long time coming up and Marshall's goals kicked are 2,3,0,1,0,0,3,0,1,2,0,2, 2,0,0,3,1,0,2,0,1. He kicked more than 1 goal twice in 14 games last year (both 2 goal games). 10 goals in 10 games in 2019. 1 goal in 3 games, Including a final in 2017. He's averaged 10 disposals this year, less than Ladhams and Dixon and equal with Georgiades. He's basically never strung 2 good games together so which game can we afford him to be a witches hat? Which one?
Because when he's not there we fall down at half forward.

See the showdown..

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The boldest is just complete bullshit. He's an above average kick for goal by any measure and his setup play is excellent.

You can argue that he doesn't compete hard enough in packs, but generally we kick to Dixon and Dixon only in pack situations. Making this argument after the Geelong game is pretty funny given how he competed all game and how we controlled the air despite having Georgiades out.

We've seen how well the 4 talls compliment each other over the past 6 weeks.

Without Fantasia available for selection who is our second best forward and kicked 4 goals last night. If Mitch is fit, we have all our forwards available for selection. Noone has been willing to answer the question, who comes out if Todd stays? Give me a name that has been worse than him this season, the last month, and last night? It's as simple as that.

Without Fantasia available for selection who is our second best forward and kicked 4 goals last night. If Mitch is fit, we have all our forwards available for selection. Noone has been willing to answer the question, who comes out if Todd stays? Give me a name that has been worse than him this season, the last month, and last night? It's as simple as that.

It's a tough decision because we've been very good lately, but last time we dropped Todd because we wanted to get all the smalls in, our ball movement and forward entry completely broke down against one of the worst teams in the league.

Our smalls are only able to cash in because we're able to get the ball into our forward line and control the air. Even if we don't mark, we bring the ball to ground. None of our KPFs really hit the scoreboard against Geelong, but we completely cut out their rebound by eliminating intercept marks.

If we're up against May and Lever in a prelim or GF and go in shorter, we might find they just intercept mark over and over again and we don't get the opportunity to shark packs or apply our elite forward pressure quicker than they can get the ball back out.

He does it regularly and gets a combination of out marked, drops the mark, or gets a joe the goose goal that any one of our small forwards could have.
It's a tough decision because we've been very good lately, but last time we dropped Todd because we wanted to get all the smalls in, our ball movement and forward entry completely broke down against one of the worst teams in the league.

Our smalls are only able to cash in because we're able to get the ball into our forward line and control the air. Even if we don't mark, we bring the ball to ground. None of our KPFs really hit the scoreboard against Geelong, but we completely cut out their rebound by eliminating intercept marks.

If we're up against May and Lever in a prelim or GF and go in shorter, we might find they just intercept mark over and over again and we don't get the opportunity to shark packs or apply our elite forward pressure quicker than they can get the ball back out.

The Crows played better than Geelong did last night and have knocked off Melbourne and Geelong playing like that. Wines had 26 and 1.3, Boak - 27 and 0, Amon - 14 and 0. 48 i50s a piece. 90:54 Marks, 10:7 Marks i50, Contested Marks 18:8, Tackles inside 50 11:4. Pretty sure it wasn't our structure that was the problem. Butts and Doedoe no slouches in defence either.

He does it regularly and gets a combination of out marked, drops the mark, or gets a joe the goose goal that any one of our small forwards could have.

The Crows played better than Geelong did last night and have knocked off Melbourne and Geelong playing like that. Wines had 26 and 1.3, Boak - 27 and 0, Amon - 14 and 0. 48 i50s a piece. 90:54 Marks, 10:7 Marks i50, Contested Marks 18:8, Tackles inside 50 11:4. Pretty sure it wasn't our structure that was the problem. Butts and Doedoe no slouches in defence either.
Our average Efficiency Inside 50 this season is 48%, i.e. 48 shots per 100 I50s.

In the showdown we had 19 shots from 48 I50s, which is 40%.

It's almost like when our best mids are less effective we get less shots on goal.
It’s also almost like I was offering some different stats from the same game to show that the ones you presented mean **** all.

Last edited:
It’s also almost like I was offering some different stats from the same game to show that the ones your presented mean fu** all.

You know what means **** all - saying look at all our wins, when he isn't the won winning the games for us. It's laughable that you guys are still trotting out the structure line 3-4 years later when we have already have 3 KPFs. I might as well say we haven't won a flag so far with him in the team, so we won't win one with him in it now. Not one of you has answered my question. If everyone is fit and available, who is missing out?

You know what means fu** all - saying look at all our wins, when he isn't the won winning the games for us. It's laughable that you guys are still trotting out the structure line 3-4 years later when we have already have 3 KPFs. I might as well say we haven't won a flag so far with him in the team, so we won't win one with him in it now. Not one of you has answered my question. If everyone is fit and available, who is missing out?

"It's laughable that you guys are still trotting out the structure line 3-4 years later when we've committed to structure over the last 2 seasons and magically we're now one of the best teams in the league."

Not Marshall or Georgiades. Bergman, Bonner or Motlop. All would be brutally unlucky but what would be worse would be getting cut apart by Melbourne's intercept markers because we rolled the dice on going in smaller.

"It's laughable that you guys are still trotting out the structure line 3-4 years later when we've committed to structure over the last 2 seasons and magically we're now one of the best teams in the league."

Not Marshall or Georgiades. Bergman, Bonner or Motlop. All would be brutally unlucky but what would be worse would be getting cut apart by Melbourne's intercept markers because we rolled the dice on going in smaller.

I hope you're prepared to lose Bergman then. That's what happens when you get dropped for finals when you are clearly best 22 and other gold pass players get left in. I'd argue he's best 15-16 now, clearly not a fringe player. Bonner has been great the last month, more than I can say for Marshall. I didn't want Motlop back in the side for the same reasons, that he is a flaky player that plays too many witches hat games. But he went 15 and 2 last night and offers something that others can't match (the ferocious thankless running). We need that run more than we need a 1.2 goal a game 4 SI KPF. At the end of the day, if he's left in, I'll hope he does well. But every week I come here and see apologists excusing poor performance when this board has torn far better players apart. Sam Gray played his guys out every week and would get shit on for 20 and 2 games because your dogs knocked over a bin or something. You guys (some of you) wanted Wines gone, you wanted Boak gone, you were happy to see Wingard gone. The bar seems to be set impossibly high for some, but 10 touch 1 goal players are essential to our team apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back