Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

The way he monstered that second goal
Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

This bloke is the opposite of a downhill skiier. Continuously stands up when we're under pressure.
It's all about team with Sam, always one of the first to get to a team mate after a goal or good pressure act etc. and it’s often either new players or those that have been struggling a bit particularly.

I would say he plays like his hair is on fire but given his aesthetics I'm not sure that is completely appropriate.

His development and maturity both on and off the field is to be commended and highlighted as an example by the Club to show how to get the most out of yourself as a player and person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that I love about him is that he typically plays well when collectively the team is playing poor or we are under pressure. He doesn't accumulate stats in nothing games. Same with Willem.

Has kept us in a countless number of games with his desperation and crazy efforts. Love him and very happy we kept him after certain people were calling him to be traded for a third round pick at the end of 2020.

In his post-match press conference, Ken Hinkley called Peps the best high half forward in the game right now.

In his post-match press conference, Ken Hinkley called Peps the best high half forward in the game right now.

It's brutal. It's unfair.

The backs can't breath. It's a tighter part of the ground. There's less space. And they must share it with a raging bull.

The worst part (for them) is that SPP also knows what to do with the ball and where the posts are.

It's amazing!

remember a couple of seasons ago when he was dropped and talked about as trade bait?

Now the absolute heart of the team.
Remember when people were talking about what draft pick we'd have to add to SPP to trade for Fantasia? Lol.

He did to Geelong what Chapman used to do to us when we played against Geelong. Every time Geelong would get a bit of sniff, SPP stood up with some ‘f$&@ you’ goals 😍
Has done that many times this year (& last season) when we've been under the pump. His will to effect the contest is admirable.

Loved to watch Chapman play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back