Perth Demons Supporters Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives and negatives, it's great that Perth now have better training facilities and will benefit from having professional Eagles players/administrators/coaches around. Not so good that it's not our ground anymore and much of the Demons stuff around the ground has been removed and replaced with Eagles stuff. They pulled some of the the big gum trees down too which I feel added something to the place. At least with the Eagles seconds in the reserves now an affiliation is unlikely. I would like to see them sell the ground to the Eagles and move a bit further south (Queens park reserve? Maddington?) and build a stronger South Perth/Canning following, because at the moment I don't think most people in the region even know that Perth is their team. I always fancied the "Perth Canning Redbacks" as a good name for a rebrand.

I guess the only good thing is that the northern-end half of the oval looks pretty much unchanged. At least you can look in that direction and remember the old days. And the Perth grandstand is still there. Are all the developments finished or there are more to come? If Perth does move, don't create a soulless place like Arena Joondalup. Thar's all I ask!

That Queen's Park Reserve, is it the one next to the athletics track where Queens Park Soccer Club plays? That would be a perfect location. All it needs is a grandstand and two sets of fences (and a row of seats behind the fence).

PS I saw some of the Essendon versus West Coast match from Lathlain on YouTube. Seeing those guys in the Perth jerseys playing at Lathlain against West Coast it felt like the Demons were in the national-league playing on their home ground. Of course the logical part of my brain (!) knew that it was Essendon guys in the Perth jerseys.

Not recruiting a class tall forward killed us. It can't be that hard to find one.

Yes, that has been Perth's downfall for many years. It is depressing to see good play up to the half-forward line and then someone just kicks it to nobody and the ball gets kicked back again by the opposition defenders. In 2013 Perth did well because of Stacky up forward. (That was the one year I was living in Perth and saw a lot of games.) Before that in 1976-77 it was Murray Couper and in 1986 it was the surprise packet Mick Rea.

I guess the only good thing is that the northern-end half of the oval looks pretty much unchanged. At least you can look in that direction and remember the old days. And the Perth grandstand is still there. Are all the developments finished or there are more to come? If Perth does move, don't create a soulless place like Arena Joondalup. Thar's all I ask!

That Queen's Park Reserve, is it the one next to the athletics track where Queens Park Soccer Club plays? That would be a perfect location. All it needs is a grandstand and two sets of fences (and a row of seats behind the fence).

PS I saw some of the Essendon versus West Coast match from Lathlain on YouTube. Seeing those guys in the Perth jerseys playing at Lathlain against West Coast it felt like the Demons were in the national-league playing on their home ground. Of course the logical part of my brain (!) knew that it was Essendon guys in the Perth jerseys.

Soulless my ass, the Arena Joondalup is the best facility out of all the WAFL clubs and we have won 4 premierships since moving there...plenty of Soul if you ask me

Soulless my ass, the Arena Joondalup is the best facility out of all the WAFL clubs and we have won 4 premierships since moving there...plenty of Soul if you ask me

Whether something is soulless or not is a subjective judgement. Therefore, there is no point arguing about it. Yes, it may be a "brilliant facility" in some sort of objective sense, meaning that it is modern and is tacked on to a huge multi-purpose facility. However, not everybody is going to like it, including many WPFC fans. And yes, WPFC won four flags based at Joondalup but you can't prove a negative - WPFC might have won those flags if they had stayed at Leedy but were just given access to the Joondalup area as a zone. Being based close to the city-centre never hurt Subiaco.

in my opinion, these are some problems with Arena joondy:
(a) Only one entrance so if you want to sit or stand around the vicinity of the northern-end goals or between the northern-end goals and the wing, it is a long walk from the Les Fong Gates. This is different from other grounds (e.g. Lathlain) where you can walk under or behind the main grandstand.
(b) No section of the grandstand open for the public or opposing supporters which I think is a bit inhospitable.
(c) Not enough covered seating areas outside the members' grandstand.
(d) The ground needs one or two rows of benches directly behind the fence like most WAFL grounds had or have.

PS I don't live in Perth and haven't been to Arena Joondy for a few years so these problems listed here might have been fixed. I welcome any updates.

Whether something is soulless or not is a subjective judgement. Therefore, there is no point arguing about it. Yes, it may be a "brilliant facility" in some sort of objective sense, meaning that it is modern and is tacked on to a huge multi-purpose facility. However, not everybody is going to like it, including many WPFC fans. And yes, WPFC won four flags based at Joondalup but you can't prove a negative - WPFC might have won those flags if they had stayed at Leedy but were just given access to the Joondalup area as a zone. Being based close to the city-centre never hurt Subiaco.

in my opinion, these are some problems with Arena joondy:
(a) Only one entrance so if you want to sit or stand around the vicinity of the northern-end goals or between the northern-end goals and the wing, it is a long walk from the Les Fong Gates. This is different from other grounds (e.g. Lathlain) where you can walk under or behind the main grandstand.
(b) No section of the grandstand open for the public or opposing supporters which I think is a bit inhospitable.
(c) Not enough covered seating areas outside the members' grandstand.
(d) The ground needs one or two rows of benches directly behind the fence like most WAFL grounds had or have.

PS I don't live in Perth and haven't been to Arena Joondy for a few years so these problems listed here might have been fixed. I welcome any updates.

Look its far from perfect I agree.
The one entrance is mainly due to the positioning of the oval away from surrounding roads, not really a problem I don't think.
Not sure if your correct with the grand stand because I see opposition supporters in there every game.
There is a under cover area called the Tom James stand for opposition supporters away from the grand stand.
I agree we need seats around the ground along the fence on the Eastern side, we also need a toilet block on the eastern side.

But anyway next time your in town, go have a look, I know Lathlain has changed beyond recognition and they are about to tear down the old grand stand, that is a bit sad even for me.

Look its far from perfect I agree.
The one entrance is mainly due to the positioning of the oval away from surrounding roads, not really a problem I don't think.
Not sure if your correct with the grand stand because I see opposition supporters in there every game.
There is a under cover area called the Tom James stand for opposition supporters away from the grand stand.
I agree we need seats around the ground along the fence on the Eastern side, we also need a toilet block on the eastern side.

But anyway next time your in town, go have a look, I know Lathlain has changed beyond recognition and they are about to tear down the old grand stand, that is a bit sad even for me.

Hi, yes, tearing down the Lathlain grandstand will be very sad. Is it definitely going to happen or just an idea? All the traditional WAFL grounds and grandstands should be heritage-listed.

Yes, thumbs up for the Tom James Stand and I like how it replicates the tin shed at Leedy (same position in the north-west corner) (see picture). Now they just need to build a Technical School behind the northern-end goals! I know for several years there were no seats under the Tom James Stand but I remember they were installed around 2012.

If non-members are allowed into the main grandstand at Joondy then that is a fantastic development.

Attachments

• P6223857 (2) Leederville shed.jpg
    P6223857 (2) Leederville shed.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
Non members are only allowed on the ground level in the Whinnen Dempsey Stand up at Windy Hill Joondalup Megadeth not in the up the stairs seating where you get a non obscured view.
Sundays game proved what a joke that ground is if raining and windy (which it is all of the time) with almost no shelter except for WP members of which there are very few these days!

Hi, yes, tearing down the Lathlain grandstand will be very sad. Is it definitely going to happen or just an idea? All the traditional WAFL grounds and grandstands should be heritage-listed.

Yes, thumbs up for the Tom James Stand and I like how it replicates the tin shed at Leedy (same position in the north-west corner) (see picture). Now they just need to build a Technical School behind the northern-end goals! I know for several years there were no seats under the Tom James Stand but I remember they were installed around 2012.

If non-members are allowed into the main grandstand at Joondy then that is a fantastic development.

They are Heritage Listed. That's why the entire ground at Perth Oval/HBF Park has never been completely rebuilt.

They are Heritage Listed. That's why the entire ground at Perth Oval/HBF Park has never been completely rebuilt.
Someone better tell Perth Footy Club then as they are supposedly tearing down the old stand (with Dougy Demon and his pitchfork on the Northern side) this summer for a new one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wasn't a grand old grand stand though like Perth Oval, Lathlain and Leederville so wouldn't have been. Ditto East Freo Oval.

The Billy Walker Stand, McDonald Stand and the white picket fence at Bassendean Oval are heritage listed thank god.

FWIU the stand at Perth oval will go or at least be changed, its a good stand with a great view of the ground and i am not exactly sure what will be put in its place, but will need to be just as good, perhaps more viewing areas for members from a bar perhaps like the new club rooms at Joondalup.

Well done Perth for not selling your soul and aligning with that club next door.
How much independent soul is there? We made finals on the back of the Beagles lifting us up (as well as a huge teen talent who is sadly about to be drafted away.)

Sharing the facility with a fantastic AFL club, aligning made total sense, and would give us long term relevance as a club. Not to mention help us win some finals, no doubt.

As it is I fear we drop down again next season.

How much independent soul is there? We made finals on the back of the Beagles lifting us up (as well as a huge teen talent who is sadly about to be drafted away.)

Sharing the facility with a fantastic AFL club, aligning made total sense, and would give us long term relevance as a club. Not to mention help us win some finals, no doubt.

As it is I fear we drop down again next season.
Rather the club folded any success will have an asterisk next to it, Grey and Fisher helped a little only because Corey Byrnes and Yeo were out for the year, Mcinnes was great he’s a Perth product anyway and have heard he will be staying, Luke English will replace Grey other recruits have been signed the future is bright imo.

Rather the club folded any success will have an asterisk next to it, Grey and Fisher helped a little only because Corey Byrnes and Yeo were out for the year, Mcinnes was great he’s a Perth product anyway and have heard he will be staying, Luke English will replace Grey other recruits have been signed the future is bright imo.

you literally hate the Eagles more than you love Perth FC then.

I support East Freo, but I'd rather see them align with the Dockers than see them evaporate into history.

Last edited:
you literally hate the Eagles more than you love Perth FC then.

I support East Freo, but I'd rather see them align with the Dockers than seem them evaporate into history.
EP twice and Claremont once have knocked back the alignments with WC they realised it wasn’t a good idea afterall , do you think PfC would be the same lol I’d rather the club wins a genuine flag.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back