Patrick Dangerfield vs Nathan Buckley

Who will be remembered as the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems like a pompous arrogant guy and for that reason I never liked him. I thought it was that poor attitude why he would never win a flag for us.. but to see him play the way he did a month ago shocked me
Disagree, he just likes to have a laugh in an interview and often takes the P out of himself, not sure that’s pompous.

Anyway, definitely a career comparable to buckley, clearly buckley has the foot skills, however Danger has some serious attributes that are superior to Buckley, high marking, break away pace for a start

Disagree, he just likes to have a laugh in an interview and often takes the P out of himself, not sure that’s pompous.

Anyway, definitely a career comparable to buckley, clearly buckley has the foot skills, however Danger has some serious attributes that are superior to Buckley, high marking, break away pace for a start
Breaking away from a pack and kicking a roaring behind! ;)

Buckley was a superb overhead mark. Not necessarily the best leaper but he certainly took a lot more high marks than what Dangerfield has throughout his career to date.
His pace was not in the same league as Dangerfield.

Buckley was an all time great of his generation. Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Selwood, Neale, Pendlebury etc, they are the best of the best but hardly in the discussion for all time greatest players.

Buckley was a superb overhead mark. Not necessarily the best leaper but he certainly took a lot more high marks than what Dangerfield has throughout his career to date.

Buckley was an all time great of his generation. Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Selwood, Neale, Pendlebury etc, they are the best of the best but hardly in the discussion for all time greatest players.
I have Danger above those you named….
8x all Australian, Brownlow, MVP, multiple BnF, easily could have had that norm smith, won the gary Ayer’s, premiership player… not sure what you need to be an “all time great” but there ain’t many better CV’s than that

Edit: my arguement is that it’s bloody close, that is all.

I have Danger above those you named….
8x all Australian, Brownlow, MVP, multiple BnF, easily could have had that norm smith, won the gary Ayer’s, premiership player… not sure what you need to be an “all time great” but there ain’t many better CV’s than that

Edit: my arguement is that it’s bloody close, that is all.

Dangerfield has rarely looked like he is the best football player on the field. There was a brief moment in time where he looked the best player out there but for the most part, if you had a group of international sports lovers watching our game for the first time, they would assume Hawkins and Stewart were on par with Dangerfield.

Buckley was just a different beast all together. It's a shame he never quite had the team success to cap off a brilliant career. He tried. One of his grand final performances was worthy of the Norm Smith but unfortunately, he was up against the juggernaut of the Brisbane Lions and then Geelong who probably prevented him from winning a medal in 07.

Dangerfield has rarely looked like he is the best football player on the field. There was a brief moment in time where he looked the best player out there but for the most part, if you had a group of international sports lovers watching our game for the first time, they would assume Hawkins and Stewart were on par with Dangerfield.

Buckley was just a different beast all together. It's a shame he never quite had the team success to cap off a brilliant career. He tried. One of his grand final performances was worthy of the Norm Smith but unfortunately, he was up against the juggernaut of the Brisbane Lions and then Geelong who probably prevented him from winning a medal in 07.
So you think he doesn’t pass the eye test? That might be true of the last couple of years but he was every bit the best player in the league his last couple years at crows and first few at Geelong….

I am old enough to remember Buckley (I’m 40) so don’t think I didn’t see him play. I know this is not a everything but one I looked up….
Buckley 34 times recieved 3 Brownlow votes
danger 52 times received 3 Brownlow votes
Ablett has the most with 55
(Danger has played about 20 more games than Bucks)

So I think you are a bit harsh on Paddy, I think his media persona annoys which is ok, but he has been an amazing player for crows and cats.
Happy for people to think Buckley or Ablett or whoever is better, but to say he isn’t a great of the game is hard to fathom.

Last edited:
So you think he doesn’t pass the eye test? That might be true of the last couple of years but he was every bit the best player in the league his last couple years at crows and first few at Geelong….

I am old enough to remember Buckley (I’m 40) so don’t think I didn’t see him play. I know this is not a everything but one I looked up….
Buckley 34 times recieved 3 Brownlow votes
danger 52 times received 3 Brownlow votes
Ablett has the most with 55
(Danger has played about 20 more games)

So I think you are a bit harsh on Paddy, I think his media persona annoys which is ok, but he has been an amazing player for crows and cats.
Happy for people to think Buckley or Ablett or whoever is better, but to say he isn’t a great of the game is hard to fathom.

I don't believe Dangerfield is a great of the game, no. He has been one of the best of his generation but most have Franklin comfortably ahead. I'd have Martin ahead of Dangerfield as well and then you have the next crop of superstars which is the category in which Dangerfield resides. Nat Fyfe was on the path to greatness until injury curtailed his career.

Collingwood were terrible for half of Buckley's career. You rarely get 3 votes in a losing side. Us Cats supporters should know this all to well having witnessed Ablett Snr slot bags of goals in losing efforts for very little umpire adulation.

Just imagine what Buckley would be doing in today's era where physicality is almost all but gone (no bumping) and no more tagging!

He seems like a pompous arrogant guy and for that reason I never liked him. I thought it was that poor attitude why he would never win a flag for us.. but to see him play the way he did a month ago shocked me
You mean Dangerfield?

I’m going with Danger, prove himself this year with a great finals campaign. He’s got more AAs and better Brownlow season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Buckley's not in that discussion either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are considered FIGJAMs

Danger criminally underrated, has been incredible, could have 2 Brownlow’s, another MVP and another flag at the very least, has so many great attributes yet people always bring up his kicking

Both are considered FIGJAMs

Danger criminally underrated, has been incredible, could have 2 Brownlow’s, another MVP and another flag at the very least, has so many great attributes yet people always bring up his kicking
Apparently it's a fairly important part of the game - which is football. Dusty is a bit the same, he will pin point someone on the t*t twice out of 10 kicks and the rest will be butchered. Decent kick for goal though

Apparently it's a fairly important part of the game - which is football. Dusty is a bit the same, he will pin point someone on the t*t twice out of 10 kicks and the rest will be butchered. Decent kick for goal though
Well if it’s who’s a better kick, it’s no contest clearly, but it’s more nuanced who is the best player

Dangerfield has really improved his reputation at Geelong, when he was at the Crows the poorer the team was going the more he’d try and do too much with his 30 mtr runs and blasts at goal and it shows in his stats
Way more bounces at the crows in his 154 games with only 70 GA
He’s played 170 odd at Geelong in a better team playing about 17 finals compared to 7 at the Crows and has over 160 GA.
He was never Captain material at the Crows while Buckley has pretty much always been a leader maybe even too much early on.
People forget what Dangerfield was like at the Crows, he played like the only way he thought he could make the team better was by trying to be a hero.

Dangerfield was and still is hard to defend but the reason Buckley was tagged so much more often was he could win a game by getting it to his team mates.
Good Captains make teams better, it took Dangerfield 16 years of playing to be trusted with it.

I’d pick Buckley before I’d pick Dangerfield if I was choosing a team to play a season and try and win a flag.

Dangerfield has really improved his reputation at Geelong, when he was at the Crows the poorer the team was going the more he’d try and do too much with his 30 mtr runs and blasts at goal and it shows in his stats
Way more bounces at the crows in his 154 games with only 70 GA
He’s played 170 odd at Geelong in a better team playing about 17 finals compared to 7 at the Crows and has over 160 GA.
He was never Captain material at the Crows while Buckley has pretty much always been a leader maybe even too much early on.
People forget what Dangerfield was like at the Crows, he played like the only way he thought he could make the team better was by trying to be a hero.

Dangerfield was and still is hard to defend but the reason Buckley was tagged so much more often was he could win a game by getting it to his team mates.
Good Captains make teams better, it took Dangerfield 16 years of playing to be trusted with it.

I’d pick Buckley before I’d pick Dangerfield if I was choosing a team to play a season and try and win a flag.

Overall, I think Buckley is more rounded, but you can find similar players, not as good but similar. I'm not sure there's too many Dangerfields about, with his size, breakaway pace, strength and mindset.

I've been watching since the 70s and if I were to pick my all time best side since then, Buckley might get in on a wing, but I wouldn't pick Dangerfield. If I were picking an individual club side to play a season and win a flag, I think I'd pick Danger before Bucks. I just think it would be easier to compensate for not having a Buckley than it would not having a Dangerfield.

I would also rather have Buckley as a captain
Dangerfield talks too much crap. Listened to him at the B&F last year and I honestly had no idea what point he was trying to make. He must have gone to the Luke Darcy "School of Political Correctness and Generic Buzzword Usage." Nothing of substance. More waffle than a Belgian diner.

Buckley was and is straight to the point and direct - a style I would rather play under. Dangerfield would rather play ring-a-rosey to ensure nobody's feelings are hurt.
Buckley has shown to be incredibly classy as coach - beginning to end.
His conciliatory tone towards Darren Jolly when Darren Jolly expressed his (negative) feelings about Buckley through the media was A1 class.
Towards the end, his statement to the crowd on Anzac Day regarding Pendlebury was also correct. The crowd should have been ashamed of their behaviour. It's a medal. A small honour, but not worth behaving like that.

Dangerfield also as that smug look that he loves himself and thinks he's just great. I cannot stand him in the media, and wish he'd focus on just being a captain without the crappy AAMI advertisements.

Buckley was incredibly focused, professional and serious. Voss said he was the most focused person he has ever seen in football. He knew he was good, but the FIGJAM thing always came from the outside - Jon Anderson of Herald Sun fame - and we know the quality journalism that we have here in Melbourne. The insights that Buckley has provided into himself since leaving coaching have been incredibly enjoyable and show a well-rounded, considerate person.

Back