Past Player - Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

He was interviewed at the after match function last night along with Bernie and Johncock.

He received a fair bit of attention from the crowd who were chanting 'Rodger', they were corrected that its actually 'Rodney' :D

I thought he looked quite chuffed, as I reckon he's seemed a bit distant at times. Was asked about his goal celebration, the Goodwin finger, and said he was planning to amp it up a little once he had some more games under his belt!

I'm so glad to hear he's starting to fit in well :) I really hope he has such a great time at the Crows that he never even considers leaving us :thumbsu: That's the only minor concern I still have with Danger, I'd hate for him to become an absolute gun and for us to lose him. Mind you, with how he's playing now, you could basically just add a 0 on the end of his current contract and hand it back to him.

Good to hear he's a happy camper.

He certainly looked happy after the Pies win in round 1.

Looks like apart from having elite mid tools, he's also damaging on the scoreboard.

I'm so glad to hear he's starting to fit in well :) I really hope he has such a great time at the Crows that he never even considers leaving us :thumbsu: That's the only minor concern I still have with Danger, I'd hate for him to become an absolute gun and for us to lose him. Mind you, with how he's playing now, you could basically just add a 0 on the end of his current contract and hand it back to him.
I believe we're very well situated for salary cap purposes.

I believe we are 'close' to the minimum amount (92% is it?) and Macca, Goody and Tyson will come off in the next 1-3 years, right when the bidding wars with the GC begin.

This will allow us to hand over some good looking numbers to our youth.

I believe we're very well situated for salary cap purposes.

I believe we are 'close' to the minimum amount (92% is it?) and Macca, Goody and Tyson will come off in the next 1-3 years, right when the bidding wars with the GC begin.

This will allow us to hand over some good looking numbers to our youth.

But isn't half their pay taken away due to the veterans listing?

Can't wait to see how Danger goes against he best this week!

But isn't half their pay taken away due to the veterans listing?

Can't wait to see how Danger goes against he best this week!

I think only one player can have their salary covered by the veteran rule, right?

What it means is that as each one retires, another moves on and in effect we get that room in the salary cap back until the last one retires where we get no more space for it.

I think only one player can have their salary covered by the veteran rule, right?

What it means is that as each one retires, another moves on and in effect we get that room in the salary cap back until the last one retires where we get no more space for it.

Ah, that makes sense, cheers for clearing it up!

So would Macca be the one covered now?

Pretty sure Goody and Macca are both on our vets list. Only half their salary counts towards our cap.

salary cap? cant we just do Judd/Visy and have one of our sponsors pay the player a large wage as remuneration for some token appearances. then like Carlton, the salary cap limit is no barrier to keeping their 'fab 4' together.

You can have as many veterans on your list as you like, but the law of diminishing returns applies when it comes to salary cap calculations.

2 veterans = 50% discount each
3 veterans = 33.3% discount
4 veterans = 25%
and so on.

We currently have Goodwin & McLeod on the veteran list. Edwards is not.

Edwards & Burton are definitely eligible this year. Not sure what the cutoff date is - Doughty may also be eligible. Doughty is definitely eligible in 2010, with Shirley a possibility (definite for 2011).

I don't honestly see us having any eligible veterans on our list in 2011.

You can have as many veterans on your list as you like, but the law of diminishing returns applies when it comes to salary cap calculations.

4 veterans = 25%
and so on.

Edwards & Burton are definitely eligible this year. Not sure what the cutoff date is - Doughty may also be eligible. Doughty is definitely eligible in 2010, with Shirley a possibility (definite for 2011).

I knew as soon as this thread went 'veteran' the master would arrive to clear up the confusion :p.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 veterans = 25%
and so on.

You are an encyclopedia of AFL rules sir, and once again 100% right.

Half of McLeods and Goodwins salary will come off and all of Edwards.

I think the club id happy with the 2 vet balance. So if say Goodwin retires then Edwards will go on, but as you said Vader, I don't see any in 2011...

Maybe Burton.

This means we will have a fair bit of cash coming off the books and some good prospects to throw it at. Namely Patty, Tippett and Walker.

This means we will have a fair bit of cash coming off the books and some good prospects to throw it at. Namely Patty, Tippett and Walker.
Yes... and no. I have little doubt that Goody, Macca & Edwards would be amongst our most highly paid players. Losing them should free up a bit of cash. However, 50% of Macca & Goody's salary is excluded from the cap. Thus we won't be in quite the good financial situation you might like to think.

When does the next AFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement come up for negotiation? Given the current economic climate, I'm expecting a dramatic fall in the value of the TV rights - probably falling to around $500M (down from around $750M), when the AFL would have previously been hoping for $1B+. The result of this is likely to be a fall in the salary cap - the first fall since it was introduced.

Interesting times ahead, but I'm sure the AFC's management would have planned for such contingencies.

You guys picked up a gun here. Reckon the rising star will be between Danger and Rich, though i think our boy might be slightly ahead at this short stage.

Saw Patrick play in the TAC cup last year a couple times after he had already been picked up by the Crows. One game against the Western Jets he had 30+ possies and 4(?) goals. Looked like a man against boys really

Further to what Kane has already said, 14 clubs spoke to Dangerfied - West Coast and Bulldogs didn't.

He will come over to do the pre-season in December and January before returning to Melbourne to complete his year 12. He said that Chris Knights told him that the hardest part for him will be to go back to school rather than stay and play in Adelaide.

He said that his year this year had been injury riddled, having broken each thumb, but on different occasions. However he was happy with the latter part of his season once he was injury free.

He was asked what his greatest assets were and he said that it was his pace which he had improved and the ability to carry the ball.

He was wrapped that Adelaide had drafted Andy Ottens as he is a great mate of his and he's looking forward to playing footy here with Andy, who he said had given him a bath when he stood him in one game. He gave Ottens a huge wrap and said that he is talented, quick, can take a grab and play anywhere.

His other interests are fishing and surfing. He speaks extremely well for a 17 year old and sounds like a lad of great character who is happy to be picked by Adelaide. :thumbsu:

Every time i need a laugh, i come into this thread and smile.

Also, see bolded bit. Danger has Otten nailed to a tee, and that was 1.5 years ago!

The early threads in this thread are so funny. Dangerfield has been great this season, and so far is far better than Ebert. The Crows staff knew something everyone else in the AFL didn't. Well done on your season so far Patrick! Doing yourself proud.

If my memory serves me correctly, Dangerfield spent alot of time as a tagger / back pocket in the carnivals.. which sort of hid him away to a degree. So some thanks can be given to the coaches of his State team as well :D

Yeah, he averaged something like 7 disposals a game at the carnival. It's interesting though, when you look at phantom drafts back then he was always touted as a second/third round draft pick and then about a week before the draft he suddenly became a first round draft pick in the eyes of people like Quayle and Burgan. I think one of those two had him going 13th or something with the comment that the Crows would snap him up with their second round pick if he slid.

Dangerfield for our second round pick would have been awesome :D But then... that would have left us with Ebert + Dangerfield if it somehow happened, I reckon I'm happier with Dangerfield + Otten :)

The old saying of "remember that sometimes not getting what you want is the greatest blessing of all" comes to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back