Past Player - Aidan Riley

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: NSW Scholarship Player - Aidan Riley

Gee, that's not a bad game. I don't suppose you looked at how many handball receives he had? I've been impressed from his TAC Cup stats at how he seems to get both a fair number of clearances and also a bunch of handball receives. He seems to just get a fair few of everything, 2 rebound 50s and 1 inside 50 is nice, a handfull of marks, a few 1%ers as well, and only a single clanger. I also love his disposal accuracy - 82% at a junior level is very, very good.

Appreciate you doing that WALL-e :)

Gee, that's not a bad game. I don't suppose you looked at how many handball receives he had? I've been impressed from his TAC Cup stats at how he seems to get both a fair number of clearances and also a bunch of handball receives. He seems to just get a fair few of everything, 2 rebound 50s and 1 inside 50 is nice, a handfull of marks, a few 1%ers as well, and only a single clanger. I also love his disposal accuracy - 82% at a junior level is very, very good.

Appreciate you doing that WALL-e :)
Had about 4 Handball receives.

He hasn't really got a ton of pace, he plods along, but seems have a good tank.

Looks like Goddard in the way he's hunched and walks, only shorter.

I can't really see him being 'elite' at this stage, because nothing stands out. But he's a solid sort of player, maybe a Mick Doughty style?

Yeah, perfect rookie pick player. Nothing fancy but enough tools to work with and maybe he'll keep going with one or two of them to become a solid AFL player.

The AFL has changed the rules recently with the NSW Scholarship program in terms of how much the AFL supports the program monetarily. I asked Rendell a while ago if they would still have picked up Riley with the new system and he said they wouldn't have, so I don't think they're calling him another Walker, but he'll be better than a kick in the ass for free.

Edit: Mind you, Rendell could be putting up a smoke screen ;) I hope he is!

did anyone watch the game?

I slept in and started watching the second game from 3 qtr time.

and Drummund. Ah Chee isnt the really good Norwood player I remember from earlier in the year. But he does look really good out there right now. Love his tackling.

Yeah I watched and taped the game ........hardly noticed Riley

He's tough at the ball ......but from what I saw he's just a player and I would be surprised if we pursued him even as a rookie

Yeah I watched and taped the game ........hardly noticed Riley

He's tough at the ball ......but from what I saw he's just a player and I would be surprised if we pursued him even as a rookie

Yeah, being picked up at 17 makes you think he didn't exactly stand out before that.

I emailed Rendell a while ago asking about Riley and he said they were planning to rookie list him this year. Mind you, given Rendell's track record on giving out names (has he drafted even a single player who's name he mentioned pre-draft?) you could take that either way! :D

Yeah, being picked up at 17 makes you think he didn't exactly stand out before that.

I emailed Rendell a while ago asking about Riley and he said they were planning to rookie list him this year. Mind you, given Rendell's track record on giving out names (has he drafted even a single player who's name he mentioned pre-draft?) you could take that either way! :D
More likely an indicator of just how poor the 2009 draft really is.

1 goal and 4th best in Wollongongs reserves in a day of draws down at Wollongong

reserves finished

Wollongong (9th) 6.6.42
Western Suburbs (8th) 6.6.42

while the seniors went

Wollongong (9th) 9.0.54
Western Suburbs (2nd) 7.12.54

(Wollongongs 18s won by over 100 points)

Good to see that Riley made the seniors side this week :thumbsu: The match has been played (a 19 point loss) but the bests/etc aren't up yet. I'll edit this post and put them in once they're up.

Edit: Awesome, Riley was BOG for his side :thumbsu: So far he's played three matches for the seniors, and has gone from a nothing output, to a 1 goal 6th best output, to now a BOG output. He's starting to look good :)

15.17-107 NORTH SHORE
Selected Team 2:10 PM
Sat 11/Jul

Bruce Purser Reserve (Map)
def.
13.10-88 WOLLONGONG
Selected Team
NORTH SHORE
Goal Kickers: R. Wason 3, A. Naylor 3, J. Watters 2, B. Fitzgerald 2, L. Pryor 2, B. Attwood, J. Brain, D. Allen
Best Players: T. Strudwick, A. Ziino, L. Pryor, R. Wason, B. Fitzgerald, S. Carruthers
WOLLONGONG
Goal Kickers: C. Wells 4, T. Bartlett 2, D. Jefferis 2, A. Perger, T. Heath, G. Batty, M. Thomson, J. McInnes
Best Players: A. Riley, A. McConnochie, J. Weavers, K. Ewen- Chappel, D. Goodley, C. Wells

Riley got a mention in the review of the week. Yeah, it's only a five word mention (two of which are "Aiden" and "Riley") but I'm starved for footy already here in America so dammit I'm going to post it :D

The round started on Saturday with another relocated game, as North Shore's home game against Wollongong was relocated to Bruce Purser Oval. The Bombers got off to a flying start, with an 8 goals to 2 first quarter Although the Lions outscored the Bombers for the remainder of the game they were unable to peg back the deficit and the Bombers were able to snap their losing streak and get back into the finals race. Despite the Lions finishing full of running during a marathon final quarter the Bombers were able to hold them out to complete a 19-point victory, 15.17.107 to 13.10.88. Ron Wason and Ashley Naylor each kicked 3 for North Shore, while Ted Strudwick and Adam Ziino played good games for the Bombers. For Wollongong, Clint Wells kicked 4 while Aidan Riley and Adam McConnochie were prominent ball-winners.

Well he didn't get the rising star nomination, Riggy, but he did get a mention on the wing for the team of the week :thumbsu: You'll be "pleased" to hear your favourite player, Stubbs, was given the rising star this week :eek:

Does that mean us Crows fans are allowed to claim six players in the team of the week this week? :D

Edit: I was stalking looking through the photo albums of the Wollongong games and found this, is it Riley? (In the white and red) Kind of looks like him but then I only have a couple of other photos to work off so I'm not really sure. Come to think of it, there are scant few photos of him going around considering he's playing at a relatively high level and on a scholarship to an AFL club.

480834_1_L.jpg

480835_1_L.jpg

Compared to the most recent photo we have of him:

446088.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you hated the whole family :eek:

ahhhhh. Stubbs best a feild :thumbsdown:

anybody who knows Sydney Football, is that his club and family are the biggest (insert abusive word here) in the entire league.

Everybody hates Baulkham Hills, and that has carried over to East Coast Eagles (the senior team)

Apparently that third best last week earned Riley a rising star nom :thumbsu:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=9606752&sectionID=53282

Coach Trevor Burnett was thrilled with Aidan's preparedness to run and create from the backline. "I thought Aidan's attack on the footy was terrific, and he really showed some of the older guys how it's done. Now that his RAMS commitments are over for the year, I'm really looking forward to Aidan being a regular on the training track, and cementing himself in the senior side" Burnett said.

Interesting to hear that Riley suffered with injury the last couple of years. Might be why he "snuck through" to 17 without anyone else rookie listing him first.

Despite the nom, it wasn't enough for him to be listed in the team of the week :eek:

Riley 4th best today in a ten goal thrashing at the hands of Pennant Hill.

6.7-43 WOLLONGONG
Selected Team 2:10 PM
Sat 1/Aug

North Dalton Park (Map)
def. by
15.15-105 PENNANT HILLS
Selected Team
WOLLONGONG
Goal Kickers: A. McConnochie 2, T. Heath 2, J. Mahony, K. Ewen- Chappel
Best Players: A. McConnochie, D. Goodley, G. Bartlett, A. Riley, K. Ewen- Chappel, J. Mahony
PENNANT HILLS
Goal Kickers: L. Bilbe 3, C. Smith 3, A. Richardson 2, K. Wright 2, D. Dell''Aquila, M. Carey, N. Wright, S. Widmer, T. Widmer
Best Players: A. Richardson, J. Moraitis, B. Jack, D. De Looze, T. Widmer, M. Carey

Apparently Riley is going to play a game for Sturt reserves on Saturday week. (Unless it gets sunk the same way Martyn's game did I guess).

Incidentally, I suppose this is as good a thread as any to give an update on heights for the three NSW Scholarship players.

Duncan is currently 179cm, Martyn is 188cm and Riley is 183cm. Good to see both Duncan and Riley have grown to acceptable heights (though Duncan's height and weight makes Brodie Martin look positively stocky, Duncan's in the 60s compared to Brodie Martin who was 72kg at the start of the year - of course, he's also four years older) while Martyn's athleticism for that size is remarkeble. He could end up a tall wingman with phenominal athleticism.

Whats the go with these lads when do we get to pick them up??

Whats the go with these lads when do we get to pick them up??
whatever we want.
We can bring him in on the senior list with our last selection (like Walker)
Or we can bring him in on the rookie list with the last pick of the rookie draft (like we did to get Donnelly (But he was as a International rookie))

Sorry I should of been clearer what years can we get them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back