Lifestyle Paddocks and Plates - Share your Garden and Kitchen Tips and Pics 🌱🍑🥬🌶

Remove this Banner Ad

I can remember a share house from long ago in inner Melbourne where the Lemon Tree was well watered. Not only were the Lemons unbelievably good but that tree was so godammit happy it produced all year round.

There was one unfortunate event though when the Fed Police raided the joint. Apparently* the lemons had started glowing in the dark and were confusing passenger flights heading to Tulla.

After investigation the pissing was found to be innocent. The guilty party was a tuna mornay. It had been buried deep in the backyard near the tree but with an insufficient sprinkling of lime. Now I never saw this Tuna Mornay. The person responsible for its production has never been allowed to cook again.

Apparently* the Tuna Mornay was completely evil from the time it came from the oven. Witnesses claimed it spoke in tongues and asked for money (just like certain very weird shows on Fox). All the while it filled the nostrils of those present with a fetid nauseous gas. Decades later some people there still recoil in horror and retch at the memory.

Moral: Pissing on lemon trees is fine. Burying born again tuna mornay near one is not.
Dingster ? Interpret please
Tuna mornay is code for cocaine. Grand Uncle Horace had a narrow escape from the Feds. His "rooomies" not so lucky.
Just need to find someone to tell me what to do with all the olives we get...
Sell them to unsuspecting fools. Olives are disgusting.

Last edited:

We had a horrible front lawn, which never thrived. Dug it all up, and put in a few fruit trees. Have an apricot, a nectarine and a cherry. Espaliered olives, apples and a pear on side fences, and grape vines up each column and over the verandah. Little beds around each tree with flowers and strawberries, and passionfruit against one visible wall.

Looks so much nicer than a boring lawn, and the kids love the fruit!!

Your front garden just sounds great!

Willing to bet the horticulture section of your council can advise and connect you with someone who has an Olive Press. Chance for you and the kids to muck around in a nice local community action of sharing the work and produce.

I thought Ding was smart, then he gave us his opinion on olives.
A green split olive marinated in roasted garlic, oregano, fresh red chilli, and a touch of dill is something else.

I can certainly understand people not liking olives due to their overbearing flavour and ability to overpower a dish, but I don’t have to talk to those people.

Mate the hotter the better. I’ll let you know how it goes.
It's completely not hot. It's a sesame soy. You need to add your own heat. I just think it's a beautifully subtle sauce that pairs with dumplings better than a heavier, saltier soy.

It's completely not hot. It's a sesame soy. You need to add your own heat. I just think it's a beautifully subtle sauce that pairs with dumplings better than a heavier, saltier soy.
Now this is something I can get around. Yum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I generally use a dark mushroom soy with chilli flakes to get a bit of heat. I don’t find the mushroom soy to be as salty as the traditional kind.

I’m off to get some sesame soy, once we are let out of jail.
Go to the link. They will deliver Aus wide.
Alternatively you can find a local stockist which is listed on their webpage, once we are let out of jail.

We had a horrible front lawn, which never thrived. Dug it all up, and put in a few fruit trees. Have an apricot, a nectarine and a cherry. Espaliered olives, apples and a pear on side fences, and grape vines up each column and over the verandah. Little beds around each tree with flowers and strawberries, and passionfruit against one visible wall.

Looks so much nicer than a boring lawn, and the kids love the fruit!!

If there are older Greek men in your neighbourhood, get talking to them as they will either know someone with a press or have one or two great brining recipes.

I did try brining years ago, but I don't think it was that successful. I've got a kickarse olive tree that hangs over my fence and an old Greek bloke over the road who eyes them off annually.

I’m normally anti non-traditional pizzas, especially involving chicken. But that looks and sounds insanely good. This could really take off
I was standing there wondering what to do with the leftover chicken parm from the previous night, and then I saw the Smokehouse™ pizza bases staring at me from the shelf of the fridge, and everything went a bit blurry. It was a really interesting meal, and one I would highly recommend.

Normally I like to whip up my own pizza bases but these wood fired beauties from the Peninsula are a really handy back-up if you have the cbf’s.

For those of you that love beetroot, this salad is THE BOMBView attachment 1058094View attachment 1058096
That looks fantastic.

I love beetroot. With chard in particular.

I have a shitload of basil growing this year, so last night I made this recipe I discovered on the Great British Chefs site. You marinate an eye-fillet steak in a soy sauce based marinade for 24 hours, sear it and serve on a bed of shaved beetroot, courgette and blanched chard topped with a generous heap of pesto. I’m aware that all sounds odd but it tasted fantastic.

6888F581-D8A5-4D02-820B-5A0E0134A198.jpeg

That looks fantastic.

I have a shitload of basil growing this year, so last night I made this recipe I discovered on the Great British Chefs site. You marinate an eye-fillet steak in a soy sauce based marinade for 24 hours, sear it and serve on a bed of shaved beetroot, courgette and blanched chard topped with a generous heap of pesto. I’m aware that all sounds odd but it tasted fantastic.

View attachment 1058111

Wowee. That is a great combo!

That looks fantastic.

View attachment 1058111
Wowee. That is a great combo!
Yep, doesn't sound odd at all. Sounds (and looks) amazing.

If there are older Greek men in your neighbourhood, get talking to them as they will either know someone with a press or have one or two great brining recipes.

I did try brining years ago, but I don't think it was that successful. I've got a kickarse olive tree that hangs over my fence and an old Greek bloke over the road who eyes them off annually.

And mention to them that you love salami. Nothing better than home made salamis from Mediterranean peoples

That looks fantastic.

View attachment 1058111

If you have to much basil, make 'basil bombs' They are amazing added to things like pasta dishes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back