P.N.G

Remove this Banner Ad

People give up so easily in Rugby league. No wonder the game is stuck in it's own little bubble.

Sort of but it’s similar to most sports where they are mainly in selected areas.

Sort of but it’s similar to most sports where they are mainly in selected areas.

So much potential, so little vision. The game still can't produce 1 ref out of NZ because it continues to live in its NSW and QLD bubble.

So much potential, so little vision. The game still can't produce 1 ref out of NZ because it continues to live in its NSW and QLD bubble.

Didn’t they try that one out of NZ and he was terrible a few years back now but vaguely remember it

Henry Somethingorother?

Didn't he have a serious illness/injury?

Henry Perenara was one he was trash but there’s another one and the name is just escaping me mainly was in the Super League era.

Henry Somethingorother?

Didn't he have a serious illness/injury?

Fast tracked through through the NRL system.

Henry Perenara was one he was trash but there’s another one and the name is just escaping me mainly was in the Super League era.

Phil Houston. Got a few games and then dumped.

We actually refereed together back in Auckland at the same time.

Fast tracked through through the NRL system.

Phil Houston. Got a few games and then dumped.

We actually refereed together back in Auckland at the same time.

That’s the one. Yeah just remember some weird decisions he made. Mind you not as if the current ones are any good anyway

PNG would be the worst place to have a new team.

NZ makes the most sense to me. Keeps 1 game in NZ every weekend, gives the Warriors a big rival.

NZ makes the least sense to me, the first team has barely had success for starters, and you are limited when you can play the games with time differences in NZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NZ makes the least sense to me, the first team has barely had success for starters, and you are limited when you can play the games with time differences in NZ.
Barely had success? They've played in multiple grand finals and you saw the crowds they got at the end of last year. There's a market for rugby over there, especially with the domestic rugby union competition declining overall in recent years.

You could give NZ the 6pm Friday game every week. It would be absolutely perfect. No more Australian crowds trying to rush home from work to attend that fixture and it's 8pm NZ time.

It makes far more sense than PNG and really more sense than a Perth/Pasifika/Central Coast bid.

Barely had success? They've played in multiple grand finals and you saw the crowds they got at the end of last year. There's a market for rugby over there, especially with the domestic rugby union competition declining overall in recent years.

You could give NZ the 6pm Friday game every week. It would be absolutely perfect. No more Australian crowds trying to rush home from work to attend that fixture and it's 8pm NZ time.

It makes far more sense than PNG and really more sense than a Perth/Pasifika/Central Coast bid.

Crowds of 20k at best doesn’t mean you get another team there and that’s at best. One great year last year let’s see them back it up for 3+ years in a row. It’s such a tiny market makes very little financial sense to expand there. If anything the most financial sense is yet another one in QLD. QLD for me but my second choice is a Pacifica team

Crowds of 20k at best doesn’t mean you get another team there and that’s at best. One great year last year let’s see them back it up for 3+ years in a row. It’s such a tiny market makes very little financial sense to expand there. If anything the most financial sense is yet another one in QLD. QLD for me but my second choice is a Pacifica team
I'm glad you put it that way as this is exactly what the PNG bid will achieve. Amongst a host of other issues.

QLD possibly although it can't be Brisbane based again. 3 teams there is enough.

I'm glad you put it that way as this is exactly what the PNG bid will achieve. Amongst a host of other issues.

QLD possibly although it can't be Brisbane based again. 3 teams there is enough.

Would go to Ipswich or an area like that. Another in NZ is pipe dream won’t happen. Makes way more sense to have more games in QLD rather than another in NZ with a tiny country which 70-80% follow RU.

Would go to Ipswich or an area like that. Another in NZ is pipe dream won’t happen. Makes way more sense to have more games in QLD rather than another in NZ with a tiny country which 70-80% follow RU.
NZ should absolutely happen before PNG.

I think it should happen before another QLD team as well but that's just my opinion.

I think it should happen before another QLD team as well but that's just my opinion.

It’s not going to happen would rather take the Hail Mary on Perth working than another in NZ. Be different if every week there’s 20k plus with sellouts every week for 3 years but it’s 1 good season in NZ. It’s just fresh in everyone’s mind that’s all. Either go to QLD again or go to the Pacific/Perth non fussed on the second two. Just not NZ 2 or Adelaide

Even classing the Warriors as unsuccessful, they still produce a hundred fold more players than the hugely successful side based in Melbourne.

The potential to grow the game in New Zealand is huge and that, in turn, grows the game in Australia. Win, win.

Even classing the Warriors as unsuccessful, they still produce a hundred fold more players than the hugely successful side based in Melbourne.

The potential to grow the game in New Zealand is huge and that, in turn, grows the game in Australia. Win, win.
Yep, I'm absolutely on board with it. Not sure where you'd base the team (you'd have a better idea than me) but it just makes so much sense.

PNG would get absolutely no corporate interest. It might fill a stadium though.
It's right up the NRLs alley - they'd rather go for the look than ensure financial stability of the clubs

PNG would get absolutely no corporate interest. It might fill a stadium though.
It's right up the NRLs alley - they'd rather go for the look than ensure financial stability of the clubs
I think that is a bit simplistic.

Firms who want to build a good reputation in PNG would be interested. Say any Australian Mining Company. It would be unusual interest but nothing about PNG is normal.

Its probably the wildest "realistic" concept ever.

I think that is a bit simplistic.

Firms who want to build a good reputation in PNG would be interested. Say any Australian Mining Company. It would be unusual interest but nothing about PNG is normal.

Its probably the wildest "realistic" concept ever.
In a world which is trying to move away from mining due to environmental impact, in a region known for its less than ideal sanitary conditions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back