P.N.G

Remove this Banner Ad

Only country to have NRL as its number 1 sport. NRL will make sure if it even looks like an AFL club heading their they will fast track their own.

Canberra should be next after Tassie.

I think you mean 'rugby league'. 'NRL' is not a sport. :mad:

I think you mean 'rugby league'. 'NRL' is not a sport. :mad:

Things have changed here mate. Apparently, my son plays AFL and every kid who plays Rugby league actually plays NRL. It's just how the national bodies here want the game to be branded.

For mine, it's all footy apart from soccer, which I still call soccer.

On the topic, PNG would be the worst of all the places the game could put another team.

So there will be two international sides and none from further west than Canberra?

It’s amazing. If the NRL had the patience of the AFL they would still have the Reds and Rams and the National in the NRL wouldn’t be considered a joke, that and the destruction of traditional clubs like Norths, Balmain, Wests, Illawarra wouldn’t be considered a loss for zero gain.

Would the players all live in PNG or would they do some compromise and play half the games in NQ or something?

Strange.
Having just been to PNG, and speaking to many locals and expats about safety, security and quality of life, the general view is that PoM is not a great place. Night life would be restricted to a small ‘secure’ precinct on the harbour.
Cost of living is probably on par with Australia, maybe more expensive if you want to live in a ‘safe’ place.
They will have immense problems attracting and retaining players.

I wonder if they will do a South Melbourne Swans move in 1982. Train and work in FNQ, and travel up just for games. Probably how I would set it up for the time being. As they say

Two things only the people anxiously desire — bread and circuses.
You’re probably right. That has to be how they do it. If they were based in Cairns, the flight would be maybe 90 mins?

On the topic, PNG would be the worst of all the places the game could put another team.

Disagree it's better than every other option bar another one in QLD.

Lets look at the alternatives

Perth- AFL mad state and failed before horrendously, no one will convince me this wouldn't be just a sugar hit where crowds are good for a year then drop off as usual.
Adelaide- just no.
Another NZ- The one NZ side is enough does nothing for markets, make the Wariiors consistently strong first before thinking about it.
Central Coast- too many in NSW already we certainly don't need another one.

PNG is rugby league mad, they won't be based in PNG rather based in Cairns or whatever. I'd wait before the details but as a concept I like this idea of expansion into an area we know will get 15k every week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree it's better than every other option bar another one in QLD.

Lets look at the alternatives

Perth- AFL mad state and failed before horrendously, no one will convince me this wouldn't be just a sugar hit where crowds are good for a year then drop off as usual.
Adelaide- just no.
Another NZ- The one NZ side is enough does nothing for markets, make the Wariiors consistently strong first before thinking about it.
Central Coast- too many in NSW already we certainly don't need another one.

PNG is rugby league mad, they won't be based in PNG rather based in Cairns or whatever. I'd wait before the details but as a concept I like this idea of expansion into an area we know will get 15k every week
WA fans are pretty state mad for their teams. They have strong support. Schedule the NRL games outside of the Eagles or Freo playing and I think it'd pull 10k a week.

Victoria is also AFL mad and yet the Storm still do pretty well.

The only way to engage more fans in those areas is with a team. Adelaide would be interesting too.

Yes those teams would need time, but if the game grows overall so would the teams.

Would have to be based on Aus soil, and then play the games up there.

Personally for an Australian competition, would have made more sense for another Australian state to have a team, but would obviously need time.

All the other states are AFL states makes zero sense. They have been tried before

WA fans are pretty state mad for their teams. They have strong support. Schedule the NRL games outside of the Eagles or Freo playing and I think it'd pull 10k a week.

The only way to engage more fans in those areas is with a team. Adelaide would be interesting too.

Yes those teams would need time, but if the game grows overall so would the teams.

Problem is we tried WA and what happened was a good first year then a massive plunge. They are the ultimate sugar rush option, be good for a year. A PNG or Pacific team makes sense they are league mad.

Personally I’d have gone into QLD again that’s the area that needs another one

I remember watching a Rams game as a teenager in the late 90s using free tickets my dad got through work.
God knows how few people were there, I can't even remember who they were playing.
My one enduring memory was of a couple with their small child sitting in front of us. Taking advantage of the sparse crowd by smoking bongs on those old wooden bench seats they used to have in front of the scoreboard.
I remember thinking the entire event felt like desecration of something important. Like holding a car boot sale in the sistine chapel.

I remember watching a Rams game as a teenager in the late 90s using free tickets my dad got through work.
God knows how few people were there, I can't even remember who they were playing.
My one enduring memory was of a couple with their small child sitting in front of us. Taking advantage of the sparse crowd by smoking bongs on those old wooden bench seats they used to have in front of the scoreboard.
I remember thinking the entire event felt like desecration of something important. Like holding a car boot sale in the sistine chapel.
My view is because something failed before, doesn't mean it should never be tried again with new learnings.

I dont think we need to rule out Perth and Adelaide eternally from the NRL because the first lot of teams didn't sustain years and years ago.

My view is because something failed before, doesn't mean it should never be tried again with new learnings.

I dont think we need to rule out Perth and Adelaide eternally from the NRL because the first lot of teams didn't sustain years and years ago.
Perth could work because it’s growing, the demographics are changing (slightly), and they’re turning in a way that makes an NRL team slightly more likely to be successful.
Here in Adelaide, we’re growing much slower, and we don’t get east coast migrants or Pacific Islanders - at least not in big numbers. These groups are a bedrock of support for the Storm for example, which is a permanently successful team that still only pulls in maybe 15k to games in a city of 5m, and gets abysmal TV ratings in Victoria.
Turning to SA, apparently there’s rugby league comp here but in all my years I’ve never seen it being played, nor have I met a person who plays it or is even interested.
The NRL know this obviously, which is why nobody ever talks about bringing another team here.

Melbourne are one of the best supported teams in the comp. Ratings are bad, but then the National game rates just as bad in NSW and QLD all things considered. People just don't talk about it as it's easier to deflect to the Storm who get far, far less support than Australian football up north.

I would still go, Perth, the Roosters to Adelaide, then bring in NZ 2.

Melbourne are one of the best supported teams in the comp. Ratings are bad, but then the National game rates just as bad in NSW and QLD all things considered. People just don't talk about it as it's easier to deflect to the Storm who get far, far less support than Australian football up north.

I would still go, Perth, the Roosters to Adelaide, then bring in NZ 2.

No to NZ 2, even the first one has only had a few years where it’s had success and we are just starting to get some continuity of success. Why we need to go to AFL areas I don’t know. Another side in QLD should be priority 1

I mean no disrespect, but how well do you know Adelaide?
I’ve lived in Sydney, where AFL is a fringe sport. That said, it has a history with a significant presence and pockets (eastern suburbs, north shore) where it’s pretty strong. Even then, the Swans nearly went under multiple times, and GWS are struggling off the field.
In terms of NRL here, i just looked at the NRLSA site. There is one six team comp here - no reserves. Looks like one of the six teams forfeited a big chunk of their games.
So we’re talking maybe around 100 registered male players in a city of 1.3 million.
I think you underestimate the level of disinterest here.

I mean no disrespect, but how well do you know Adelaide?
I’ve lived in Sydney, where AFL is a fringe sport. That said, it has a history with a significant presence and pockets (eastern suburbs, north shore) where it’s pretty strong. Even then, the Swans nearly went under multiple times, and GWS are struggling off the field.
In terms of NRL here, i just looked at the NRLSA site. There is one six team comp here - no reserves. Looks like one of the six teams forfeited a big chunk of their games.
So we’re talking maybe around 100 registered male players in a city of 1.3 million.
I think you underestimate the level of disinterest here.

Adelaide are no Chance just can’t see the NRL even bothering. They may want one in the Pacific (PNG,etc) or Perth. Still feel another one in QLD is smarter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back