Ovens & King FL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly , Blacks with no injuries are 6 good players better than anyone else. And they don’t look “ fragile” . No 8 and 15 the biggest pick ups this year. Their bottom 6 better than everyone too. And there’s no old blokes running around for them ( I think) , so if they keep their list together , and grab some juniors from Benalla junior teams , will take some beating for a few years.
If Benalla are fielding locals and guys are playing for the club they could end up with similar success to what Glenrowan had, but for that to happen you need blokes sticking around for more than just a year. You need to create a winning culture, Milawa have shown you can’t buy loyalty.

If Benalla are fielding locals and guys are playing for the club they could end up with similar success to what Glenrowan had, but for that to happen you need blokes sticking around for more than just a year. You need to create a winning culture, Milawa have shown you can’t buy loyalty.

Define success? By similar success, you mean win four flags and then fold robbing local men and women of a local football and netball team that they called their own since 1919? The person who oversaw that “success” would be a disgrace to the local community, no? Hopefully Benalla don’t ruin their local club like Glenrowan did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn't Glenrowan fold in 1990 before they came into the ovens and king

all blacks have only risen at the demise of the Benalla saints, who at the start of the year put out sos so they wouldn't fold, their good players went to myrtleford and the rest got split between all blacks and goorambat who would have had bidding wars for some of the young players, not sure how your main argument against milawa is loyalty that's probably their best attribute, name one player in milawas side over the past 10 years who has played for one year and left.

all blacks have only risen at the demise of the Benalla saints, who at the start of the year put out sos so they wouldn't fold, their good players went to myrtleford and the rest got split between all blacks and goorambat who would have had bidding wars for some of the young players, not sure how your main argument against milawa is loyalty that's probably their best attribute, name one player in milawas side over the past 10 years who has played for one year and left.
Hard to argue with your comments about Milawa, regardless of how they got them, how much they paid or what we all wish was true, they have recruited and retained players year after year to be top 2 for a decade. Hard to argue with their approach.

Blacks the team to beat at the moment clearly but I wouldn’t declare the season over just yet.

Bright losing today opens up 2nd spor

At the end of the day success is measured on premierships, no one remembers who came second. If clubs are happy to break the bank for second place then they need a re-shuffling of the board and a long hard look at themselves.

At the end of the day success is measured on premierships, no one remembers who came second. If clubs are happy to break the bank for second place then they need a re-shuffling of the board and a long hard look at themselves.
At what cost? Your club will be forever remembered as copping 300 point losses for 3 seasons straight followed by $100k per year premierships and then folding into oblivion. The league implemented the salary cap and points system to save clubs from themselves. Terribly run club drowned themselves and you have nothing better to do then complain about healthy clubs that are still running around every weekend. No one buys the crap you’re selling, everyone in the league can respect what Tarra, Milawa and Bright have done to be competitive for 10+ years. Those 4 premierships Glenrowan bought will be forever tainted in the O and K and so they should.

There are too many selfish clubs in the Ovens & King, the league would be much stronger if a few teams merged. The Hawks would be knee deep in a flag tilt if they joined forces with Glenrowan, instead they opted to stand alone which has resulted in one win a year. Greta need to play some of their home games in town, boost the canteen takings, no one travels out there. Wahgunyah need to join our league, King valley to merge with Moyhu. The leagues on its death bed, no juniors, I’ve written letters to the league with no response, they need a guy with management skills who knows how to stay progressive.

Wahgunyah that would be great bring in a club that's getting torn apart in the tfnl. that's going to make our league better
May as well bring in Kinglake and broadford they both want to get out of there league there in
We already go to bonnie doon

Milawa
Whorouly
Nth Wang
Bright
Dederang
Yackandandah
Greta
Moyhu
Beechworth
Tarra
That's a better I would think if we were to revamp the leagues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wahgunyah that would be great bring in a club that's getting torn apart in the tfnl. that's going to make our league better
May as well bring in Kinglake and broadford they both want to get out of there league there in
We already go to bonnie doon
Wahgunyah in its current form would give the bottom sides in the O&K a run for their money.

Wouldn't it be better for them to merge with rutherglen like you were saying about king Valley and moyhu

There are too many selfish clubs in the Ovens & King, the league would be much stronger if a few teams merged. The Hawks would be knee deep in a flag tilt if they joined forces with Glenrowan, instead they opted to stand alone which has resulted in one win a year. Greta need to play some of their home games in town, boost the canteen takings, no one travels out there. Wahgunyah need to join our league, King valley to merge with Moyhu. The leagues on its death bed, no juniors, I’ve written letters to the league with no response, they need a guy with management skills who knows how to stay progressive.
Of Greta play in town the wang clubs charge $1500+ Tax to use the ground for one day. That’s a lot more sausage rolls they would need to sell to make it worth the hassle.

Gate takings are steady and have been for years out there, from what I’m told the club is doing just fine financially and things seem to be going well on and off field. Netball undefeated top of the ladder, senior and reserves both sitting in the 6 and all but 2 netball in finals positions.

That's what the wangaratta junior comp is for
There is only bright that has juniors I think in the o and k

I don’t think bringing in teams from other leagues is the answer, I know many clubs already struggle to get teams together to go to Bonnie Doon and Bright, I think adding in more travel with worsen the situation.
Why can’t the wang junior league be feeders to ovens and king clubs, we have nothing since the 3rds dropped out. After juniors if you aren’t picked for ovens and murray then a lot of kids are opting not to play at all. What can be done?

A few clubs get kids out of the junior comp go into the league not as many as we would like of course
Beechworth Yackandandah dederang all have juniors
What makes it harder now is they have junior football on Saturdays now how crazy is that
If it was on a Sunday as it should be then these struggling clubs could start to use these u17 kids
Even to go and watch them and get some sort of relationship with these junior kids they carnt do that now because they play on the same day
Something there has to change

A few clubs get kids out of the junior comp go into the league not as many as we would like of course
Beechworth Yackandandah dederang all have juniors
What makes it harder now is they have junior football on Saturdays now how crazy is that
If it was on a Sunday as it should be then these struggling clubs could start to use these u17 kids
Even to go and watch them and get some sort of relationship with these junior kids they carnt do that now because they play on the same day
Something there has to change
Wouldn't it be great for the junior clubs to align with the seniors? then they can play on Saturday before the seniors. More money at the gate and kids are brought up through the grades at the club? more would likely hang around

Footy clubs need to bring in quality people, you can’t throw money at good footballers with poor character and expect the club to succeed, you see this time and time again. Geographically Benalla are positioned for major success, first thing I’d be doing is making a no drug policy, game day attire should be mandatory and everyone stays for a drink afterwards. Club functions are compulsory for paid players, you get the basics right off the field then you’ll be destined for success on the field. If Benalla don’t dominate the league and get at least 3 of the next 5 premierships then I’d say it’s a massive fail. But I can tell you from experience it’s bloody hard work, you need support, and selfish players will bring you undone.

Chatting to a guy today, he was saying Milawa are going to try and stack their twos side for the finals, how pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back