Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

When I wrote that on Friday, the Canadian Trials EXCEPTING SUMMER were pretty underwhelming.

Since Friday there have been more national records and Olympic qualifiers though.

Ash Moloney will now be ranked close to 24th which is the cut off mark for the number of competitors who can go to the Olympics. I don't know how many ranking points for this meet so I can do an accurate calculation be if he's not 23rd or 24th he will be close to it.

8460 is an auto qualifier for the decathlon and 6480 for the heptathlon. Torrie West has moved up from 38th to close to 24th ranking place. Once again I don't know how many ranking points for this meet so I can do an accurate calculation but assuming 80 to 100 range then she's not far off the cut off 24th ranked.

I don't know how many ranking points
The Oceanian Championships in a few weeks have more ranking points. Tori & Ash (and others) are listed to compete there.

Hoping Ash can back up after his injury worries in recent years. He had strapping on his right knee in Gotzis but at least he got through the comp in spite of a bit of a scare early in the pole vault.

Having read all the stuff on Result Scores and Placing Scores, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Ash Moloney got 1183pts Result Score which is confirmed here, plus:

I reckon the Gotzis meet is GL ranked meet and getting 4th there means he picks up another 120 Placing Score pts = 1303. Add that to his other best result of 1168 and his average pts is 1235 pts.

Before the weekend the 18th ranked decathlete had 1240 pts and the 19th had 1230pts. Now I'm not going to do all the calculations for the others but Moloney is probably just inside the top 24. Guess I will have to wait a few days for World Athletics to update their Road to Paris rankings website page.

And for Torri West she scores 1123 for her result score and I have it 100 placing points for her 6th which is 1223pts. Put that with her other best result of 1140pts and her ranking pts are 1181pts.

Before the weekend the 16th world ranked competitor had 1180pts, so I reckon Torri is inside the top 24 when the rankings come out in a day or twos time.

Ok I got my calculations wrong because World Athletics uses different Placing Score points for Combined Events compared to Track and Field Events and compared to Road Races and Cross Country Races.

I was looking at Page 7 the overall figures, when I should have been looking at Page 3 on the LHS. See link below.

I got it right that Gotzis meet is GL rated event but for combined events a 4th is only worth 65 pts whereas a track athlete or field athlete gets 120 pts. So Ash Maloney only gets 65 pts and not 120 as I calculated and Torri West for her 6th only gets 50 pts and not 100pts.

Bottom line, they both are now ranked 24th on the world rankings and only 24 go to the Olympics in each event.

As GT said, if they go to the Oceania championships which is rated a GL event also, and win that, and get the same sort of total combined events points as they got in Gotzis, then they get the extra placing points score which is 110 for a win, and as the rankings are averaged over only 2 events, then Ash should go up to around 18th, and Torri around 15th, if others don't do anything well above their current ranking points.

There aren't many GL events left before qualification period ends, but there are some lower rated events around the world.

Daniel Golubovic is ranked 22nd at the moment and Cedric Dubler 39th. A top 3 placing with a good combined score at the Oceania Championships probably gets Golubovic comfortably inside the top 24 but Dubler just misses out I think.

In the Heptathlon, Camryn Newton-Smith is ranked 38th at the moment but if she goes and scores 6180 pts like she did in the Adelaide nationals and wins or finishes 2nd, then she will comfortable be inside the top 24 if nothing much else changes. Taniella Crase is ranked 49th buts isn't going to Suva for the championships.

Last edited:
An Olympic (or World Champs) track also needs a warm-up track. Preferably right next door/walking distance.

Like QSAC has already.
That's just one of the reasons why it was bad move to use the Gabba. There isn't space for several kms away, to build one, unless somehow they could build one around buildings and over roads.

Some good races and a bunch of Aussies competing at the Prefontaine Classic on Sunday morning (our time).

Free livestream available on the Wanda Diamond League YT page from about 6am (AEST).

“To be clear, I have NEVER in my life purchased, researched, possessed, administered, or used synthetic EPO or any other Prohibited Substance.

:think:

I think hes a straight up drug cheat, its clear he was micro dosing

To say you've never researched it but you have a saved screenshot from 1 month before the positive test, yeah nah if these was a Chinese athlete no one would be buying it

I follow Victor Conte on social and have done for many years. WADA mighta found some incriminating posts on my phone if they were looking.

But I don't do what he says - I just like to see what the cheaters might be doing (he mainly advises fighters - eg UFC - these days).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I follow Victor Conte on social and have done for many years. WADA mighta found some incriminating posts on my phone if they were looking.

But I don't do what he says - I just like to see what the cheaters might be doing (he mainly advises fighters - eg UFC - these days).
yeah but you didn't test positive for synthetic epo and you also didnt state that had never researched it, why's its screenshotted?

massive coincidence to have that screen shotted 1 month before a positive test for the exact same thing you've screenshotted, and I highly doubt he will explain it

A great night (well morning for us) at the Prefontaine Classic in the USA with records tumbling and Olympic Qualifiers growing:

W800 OQ for AUS record-holder Trina Bisset
W1500 AR for Jess Hull & decent run from previous record-holder Linden Hall

MMile OQ for Oli Hoare & AUS U20 Record (& World Best for a 17yo) for Cam Myers

Jessica Hull's time 3.55.97 is the 5th fastest individual in 2024 over 1500m, and the 8th fastest time in 2024 as the winner in Eugene, Diribe Weltjei has run 3 times faster than Hull and Freweeyni Hailu has run 2 times faster than Hull. All 4 faster than Hull are Ethiopians, and only 3 can go to Paris.

Hull has an outside shot at a medal but it wont be easy.

Rio + Tokyo 1500m gold medallist Faith Kipyegon broke the WR just before the 2023 world champs in Budapest with a 3.49.11, then won the world champs in a 3.54 beating Weltjei by a second and then ran a 3.50 in September in a meet in Eugene, which qualifies her for Paris, but hasn't run a 1500m race this year. She also won the 5000m in Budapest.

Fastest in 2024 is Gudaf Tsegay with a 3.50.30 but the timetable will probably determine which of the 1500m, 5000m or 10000m she runs in 2024 Olympics.

In Tokyo she got bronze in 5000m. Next year at world champs in Eugene won silver behind Kipyegon in 1500m and won gold in the 5000m. Last year in Budapest she won gold in the 10000m and finished 13th in the 5000m.

In Paris the heats of 1500m are on 4th August, SF on 8th and final on 10th. 5000m heats on 3rd and final 6th and 10000m only has a final and its the 9th. In the qualifying period she is ranked #1 for 1500m, #1 in 5000m and #2 in 10000m.

Last edited:
The selection of our women's marathoners for Paris has apparently turned ugly:

with 5 women so evenly matched there was always going to be an appeal regardless of who was picked. even IBD was extremely unlucky to miss out.
No idea what’s been happening behind the scenes but I thought the tweet from McArthur was harmless rather than explosive.

apparently AA have asked Sinead to prove fitness so she’s racing a half on the weekend. I don’t know what they expect from her but going by the workouts she’s been posting on Strava she’s fit.
so there’s still a (very) small hope for Lisa I suppose.

the selection criteria really needs to be more clear cut rather than subjectively comparing different performances and different times, from different races, in different conditions and different years.

It wouldn't be an Olympics if there wasn't controversy about Australian Olympic team selection. It seems to always be Athletics, but I know other sports have their dramas as well.

Swimming solved that problem by having cut throat trials. Don't finish top 2, and in a qualifying time at the trials then you don't get selected for an individual event. Might be a spot in a relay team if you get close to the qualifying time.

Is their a Paris Olympics thread?
No. One usually opens up 2 or 3 weeks before the Olympics start once all trials have been finished and selection periods closed. So early July one should fire up.

No. One usually opens up 2 or 3 weeks before the Olympics start once all trials have been finished and selection periods closed. So early July one should fire up.
I'll be going can not wait 2 nights swimming, 2 nights athletics, 3rd round tennis and 2 basketball games

so the result of the appeal was that the original selection panel was asked to review their own decision and strangely enough they found that it was the correct one.

I don’t care which 3 go. Time isn’t everything and you can make really good arguments for all the top 5 women but that appeals process is some serious bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back