Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sherman wasn't even really a 400m runner until this year. We can probably forgive him that inexperienced rush of blood.

Very talented and hopefully better things to come from the 20yo in the future.

Did some stats on the 5 relay events. 14 of the 16 places per event were filled in Bahamas today ie 70 of the possible 80 slots.

The other 2 places per event are based on world rankings. The men's 4x400 wont get close where as the girls probably will be ranked about 18th - 20th by time qualifying period of 30 June closes.

The women's 4x400m were a bit unlucky and were drawn in a tough repechage heat. I think it was based on rankings before World Relays. They were 11th fastest in the Saturday heats in 3.28.30.

Repechage heats and time rankings from Saturday's heat
1st Jamaica 12th, India 13th, Brazil DQ, Germany 16th - Jamaica 3.28.54, India 3.29.35 both qualified for Paris.

2nd Netherlands 10th, Switzerland 15th, Cuba 18th, Portugal 21st - Netherlands 3.27.45, Switzerland 3.28.30 both qualified for Paris.

3rd Belgium 8th, Australia 11th, Spain 14th Czech Republic 19th - Belgium 3.26.79, Spain 3.27.30, both qualified for Paris, Czech Republic 3.27.76 and Australia 3.28.05.

Of course its not always all about times over 1600m, as sometimes, when people are challenged they will produce a faster result, so different nations in different heats would produce different times, but given the Oz girls ran faster than 3 of the 6 qualified teams, to produce the 5th fastest time in the repechage heats and heat seedings always can be tough, the girls would be pleased with their efforts, but disappointed at not qualifying.

29 nations have qualified at least 1 team for Paris.

USA and GBR qualified 5 teams for all 5 events.
France, Jamaica, Poland, Italy, Germany and Nigeria qualified for 4 events
Canada, Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland qualified for 3 events
Australia, Japan, India, Ireland, South Africa, Spain and Trinidad and Tobago qualified for 2 events
China, Ghana, Liberia, Botswana, Brazil, Ivory Coast, Norway, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, and Ukraine have qualified for 1 event.

This weekend sees a Continental Tour-Bronze meet in Osaka featuring a bunch of Aussie athletes including Rohan Browning.

Some of our top swimmers - inc Cam McEvoy, Matt Temple, Zac Stubblety-Cook - will be competing in the Sydney Open & Unisport Champs.

Other swimmers - inc Titmus, O'Callaghan, Winnington - will be racing in a strange 'Olympic simulation' unofficial event at the St Peters Western Pool. They are selling tickets ($43!) to spectators who can attend from 6am (that's a no for me..) for a couple of hours. Swimmers won't be available for autographs or pictures. I'll be interested to see if anything interesting happens at this bizarre event.

Australia has named our largest ever World Junior team for the Championships in Peru, headed by stars Torrie Lewis, Claudia Hollingsworth, Delta Amidzovski, Marley Raikiwasa, Sebastian Sultana, Peyton Craig and Cameron Myers.

All of these are medal contenders as are our 4x100 relay teams for both sexes.

That statement was put out quite a while ago when there was no detail about any of the upgrades.

I quite like QSAC as a stadium though it obviously needs some work.

Be nice to see the $ used on an actual athletics facility instead of one immediately handed over to a non-Olympic footy code.

And neither Sally or Liesl could be described as 'the smartest tools in the shed'.

That statement was put out quite a while ago when there was no detail about any of the upgrades.

I quite like QSAC as a stadium though it obviously needs some work.

Be nice to see the $ used on an actual athletics facility instead of one immediately handed over to a non-Olympic footy code.

And neither Sally or Liesl could be described as 'the smartest tools in the shed'.
Okay, find me a current or former athlete that has said that having the games at QSAC is a great idea.
This will embarrass Australia, much like the cancellation of the Comm Games

View attachment 1986691

This is unbelievable. What a joke. And how’s the arrogance? Why even bid for the games if you aren’t prepared to create an Olympic standard venue? This is going to be an embarrassment.
A change of government will change the tone and what gets done. Steven Miles is a low altitude flyer.

Swimming trials for some of the big Olympic nations will be on over the next 3 or 4 weeks. Some have stuck to the old formula, that Australia finally changed in 2021 for Tokyo, and held them in March or April.

Canada started this morning Oz time, with finals of first night. Summer McIntosh won the 400m but was disappointed with her time of 3.59.06. She did a 3.56.08 WR last year which lasted 4 months before Titmus went 0.70 seconds faster at the 2023 world champs and McIntosh did another 3.59 for 4th. This will be the #1 or #2 female race of the meet with McIntosh, Titmus and Ledecky and its on the first night. here are the trial dates for the stronger nations.

McIntosh will try and qualify for 100m, 200m and 400m Freestyle, 200 and 400 IM and 200m Butterfly. She swam a fast 100m backstroke so she can qualify for the Medley relay, probably will only swim the heat, and will swim in probably all 4 relays. She dropped the anticipated clash with Ledecky and Titmus in 800m Freestyle as the time clashes made it too difficult for her already huge load.

She could well match or even beat Shane Gould's 3 individual event gold medals and could well match Phelps 4. Can't see her matching his 5 in 2008. I think she can win medals in 5 events, but if she does it in 6, then she beats Phelps 5 gold in 2008, 4 gold and a bronze in 2004 and Gould's 3 gold and 1 silver and 1 bronze in 1972.

German trials 22nd-May 26th
Oz trials 10th-15th June
Netherlands trials 13th-16th June
USA trials 15th-23rd June
French trials 16th – June June
China trials

Euro Aquatics championships are on between 10-23rd June but most of the big Euro swimmers are not expected to attend. .
Italian trials took place 5th-9th March
Japan trials took place 17-24 March
Chinese trials took place 19th-27th April
GB trials took place 2nd -7th April

She could well match or even beat Shane Gould's 3 individual event gold medals

Can't see her doing that - even though she is very talented and still a young improver.

200/400 Free - our Aussie girls are the outright favourites
200/400 IM - our Kaylee (and others) will be a strong challenger in 200IM
200 Fly - our Lizzie will be swimming her only individual event against a likely fatigued Summer (plus others)

Summer's 100 swims are only for places in Canada's relays and a bronze is probably the best they can hope for in Paris.

It will be a challenge for Summer to win more than one gold. She might have a chance at equalling Shane's five individual medals in one Games.

I wouldn't be betting on a change of Qld government. And certainly not betting the Liberal/Nationals opposition in power would make anything improve.

But things need to start happening right now.
The LNP have promised a 100 day review if they win.

That review will not say do exactly what Miles government has said it will do. It will be like the Independent Sports Venue Review, the majority of venues ie the small ones will stay the same, but the big ones will see changes. You don't call a review that says don't change anything! I've never seen or heard of a government review that has recommended that.

My best mate from school days has worked for the Queensland government for 30 years and is a senior public servant. I went up there for Port's QF game against Brisbane last September and stayed with him for a few days. He hates the LNP, but said they will win this year. Had to listen to him bang on about how much he hates them driving from Scarborough to the Gabba. I spoke to him the weekend after ANZAC day and asked about the election, and he once again said the LNP will win. He said he has to start thinking of when to exit his job because he reckons his department's funding will be slashed hard.

That review will not say do exactly what Miles government has said it will do.

I was a (fairly) senior public servant (federal) too and in my experience 'reviews' mainly say what the paymaster wants.

However an incoming government can often be very surprised what backlash they can get when their 'new' ideas are announced. And have to think again while time is wasting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a (fairly) senior public servant (federal) too and in my experience 'reviews' mainly say what the paymaster wants.

However an incoming government can often be very surprised what backlash they can get when their 'new' ideas are announced. And have to think again while time is wasting.
The LNP have flagged they will be making huge changes to his department. Both parties know what's coming.

Summer McIntosh smashed her 400IM world record by 1.48 seconds at the Canadian trials this morning. She won by 14 seconds so had nobody to really push her. Has easily won all 3 of her events so far.

Caleb Dressel is back. Swam a 48.30 in 100m freestyle at a meet in Atlanta which gets him an invite to US Olympic trials. Its his first competitive swim since he took 8 months off.

Canadian Josh Liendo won Canadian trials 100m freestyle in 47.55 the 3rd fastest rime this year. Chalmers has 5th fastest 47.63

Chinese swimmer Zhanle Pan set the 100m world record in a lead off leg of a relay in Chinese meet in February with a blistering 46.80.

If McIntosh was ever gonna break a WR at her trials it was in the 400IM. Her 200 & 400 free have not been so impressive.

Excepting her the Canadian trials have been fairly underwhelming.

A bunch of PBs and Olympic qualifiers on Day One of the Los Angeles Grand Prix this morning. More Aussies are competing in the main programme tomorrow morning (from 5am AEST) and it will be streamed live on Inside Track.

And in the afternoon Torrie Lewis & Mackenzie Little are just two of the Aussies competing in Tokyo - this will also be streamed on Inside Track (from about 4pm I think, though some events are on earlier).

I haven’t paid too much attention to the venue or talk about it, but could Suncorp Stadium be the Olympics athletics stadium? Or not the right dimensions? Is the location any good?
It's about 50m too short.

It's about 15m not wide enough if you have all the throwing and jumping events inside the track. If you want the jumping events outside the track, it's about 30m not wide enough.

I haven’t paid too much attention to the venue or talk about it, but could Suncorp Stadium be the Olympics athletics stadium? Or not the right dimensions? Is the location any good?
Not sure - but unlikely to be big enough. An olympics aths track requires about 175 m from end to end. From what I can see, I don't think there is enough space at either end or even in width. (In Europe many soccer fields are completele surrounded by aths tracks, and they are usually wider than a rugby league field).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back