Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't really matter if you run out of your lane when your race is a straight line.

Unless you impede another competitor.

Olyslagers easily over 1.92m to retain her lead in the competition.

A 9cm improvement over her indoor PB.

Mahuchikh & Olyslagers the only two women left in the High Jump.

Both missed their first attempt at 1.99m but Nicola's attempt was closer.

Australia hadn't won a world-level High Jump medal since Tokyo 1964 (silver to Michele Brown).

Now in the past few years our women have won:

OLYMPIC silver
WORLD CHAMPS gold silver bronze
WORLD INDOOR gold silver

What will Paris bring?

Aside from the pool what's our biggest favourites for Gold

Jess Fox in canoeing would probably be one.

But I don't like talking about favourites at the Olympics - especially with 6 months still to go. Injuries, bad luck, opponents coming out of nowhere and just one tiny mistake on game day can always upset any predictions.

This should be out best ever Olympics mainly due to dominance in the pool. We are favourites to win 9 gold in swimming and real chances in another 4.
Nah, we wont beat 58 medals of Sydney and I doubt we will beat 17 gold of both Athens and Tokyo. Might match them.

Melbourne is actually Oz's best result. 13 gold medals 8 silver and 14 bronze for 35 medals from 151 events. Finished 3rd behind Soviets and USA.

In swimming Oz won 8 of the 13 events, 14 medals in total and won all 7 freestyle events. Now there are 35 events in the pool and 16 freestyle events. If there was at least 29 events like in 1968 which was the first big jump from 18 in 1964 Tokyo, and there were 11 freestyle events, Oz may well have won 20 golds all up rather than 13.

Oz's Melbourne results were dominate by 2 sports but, won medals in 7 sports.
Swimming 8-4-2 = 14
Athletics... 4-2-6 = 12
Cycling..... 1-0-1 = 2
Rowing..... 0-1-2 = 3
Sailing ..... 0-1-1 = 2
Boxing...... 0-0-1 = 1
Canoeing.. 0-0-1 = 1

Atlanta team laid the base for Sydney and beyond, winning 41 medals 9-9-23. The 15 year old AIS elite sports program funding, boosted by extra funding - called Olympic Athlete Program which provided an additional $135 million to get ready for Sydney approved after Sydney won the bid in 1993. It was the first time Oz had won 30 or more medals since Melbourne.

Oz won gold in 6 sports and medals in 14 sports, but more importantly 4 team sports teams won medals. The Hockeyroos gold, the Opals bronze, the Kookaburras bronze and the softball girls bronze and lots of small teams won medals, ie equestrian 3 day event etc, swimming relay teams, quad sculls in rowing etc and 106 individuals in a team of 417 brought home medals.

The yanks usually win medals in 6 or 7 sports teams - men's and women's basketball, women's soccer, women's water polo, (these tend to be gold) volleyball either men or women, but rarely these days both at the same games, and baseball/softball when they are in the Olympics. Its why they usually have 35% to 40% of individuals on their 550-650 people team at each Olympics since LA, go home with a medal.

Sydney 16-25-17 = 58 from 300 events, Swimming was 5-9-4 = 18 Won gold in 11 sports, won medals in 22 sports.

157 individuals of a team 617 won medals, once again because many team sports and relay type teams won medals. Hockeyroos and Water Polo girls won gold each, there is 29 individuals with gold medals. Opals won silver so 12 silver medals, Kookaburras won bronze again as did the women's softball team which combined is 31 individuals got bronze medals. The men's 8 rowing won a silver, so that's 9 silvers handed out as the cox gets one as well. In swimming Oz won medals in 5 of the 6 relay swims and the heat swimmers get medals as well. The equestrian 3 day event team won gold. etc

Athens. 17-16-17 = 50 from 301 events, Swimming was 7-5-3 = 15 Won gold in 6 sports, won medals in 13 sports. 4 teams medaled. Gold Men's Hockey +3 silvers - Men's baseball team + Women's basketball and softball teams.

Beijing. 14-15-17 = 46 from 302 events, Swimming was 6-6-8 = 20 Won gold in 7 sports, won medals in 15 sports. 4 teams medaled. Silver Women's basketball + bronze softball and water polo teams, bronze to Men's hockey team.

London.. 8-15-12 = 35 from 302 events, Swimming was 1-6-3 = 10 Won gold in 6 sports, won medals in 11 sports. 3 teams medaled. All bronze Men's Hockey + Women's water polo and basketball.

Rio....... 8-11-10 = 29 from 306 events, Swimming was 3-4-3 = 10 Won gold in 6 sports, won medals in 12 sports. 1 team medaled, the rugby Women's team won gold.

Tokyo... 17-7-22 = 46 from 339 events, Swimming was 9-3-9 = 21 Won gold in 6 sports, won medals in 15 sports. 2 teams medaled. Men's - hockey silver and basketball bronze.

So best ever Olympics is a bit all relative concept.

Last edited:
This one is for you Drummond. I know you are a big Femke Bol fan, but I think a bigger fan of fellow Dutchie, Dafne Schippers.

The Total Running Production guys who did the Cam Meyers video above, a few days earlier did one on Bol as for the second time she has broken the 400m indoor world record.

In 2023 she broke Czechoslovakian Jamlia Kratochvílova's 1982 record and at 41 years was the longest standing athletics world record at the time, either indoor or outdoor.

Unfortunately I don't think I will still be on this planet when a female breaks the outdoor 400m record of 47.60 by East German Marita Koch ran at a World Cup meet in Canberra in October 1985. The only record longer than that is Kratochvílova's July 1983 800m world record of 1.53.28 a few weeks before the first world championships, but both these women were products of the drug fuelled eastern bloc sports programs.

Now I don't keep that close an eye on indoor world champs and meets but SBS have come to the party with this Friday 1st March at 8.25 SA time so 8.55pm AEDST will start their coverage of the 2024 Glasgow world indoor championships.

Most sessions go from 8.20pm to 12.30am morning session and 5.30am to 8.30am evening sessions SA times, for the 3 day meet. See timetable at:

But this videos gives a good idea of Bol's current form and discusses Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone's history and form and the upcoming battles in Paris.

Awesome video, awesome recap from you. I’m super excited to see Bol vs McLaughlin-Levrone. And yeah I’m a major Bol lover and I think she could beat SML, because where’s her form at? Bol seems to just go from strength to strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome video, awesome recap from you. I’m super excited to see Bol vs McLaughlin-Levrone. And yeah I’m a major Bol lover and I think she could beat SML, because where’s her form at? Bol seems to just go from strength to strength.
Mclaughlin needs to 70% and still wins gold she is once in a lifetime athlete.

This one is for you Drummond. I know you are a big Femke Bol fan, but I think a bigger fan of fellow Dutchie, Dafne Schippers.

I'm a huge Schippers fan - as an athlete she was great to watch.

However, at these World Indoors she has graduated to the ranks of 'Worst Ever Sports Commentators' - not because she doesn't know her stuff, but her English is terrible. She's just OK when she does a prepared intro, but when she has to describe the action or analyse a race, she id reduced to the level of 'He just has to go for it!'.

It's not her fault - she's just not ready. My guess is she has been put up by her agents as a athlete/commentator, and as the Dutch have a very strong female contingent at these games (not just Bol), there may have been some pressure to have her on.

Jess Hull did a good run in the 3000 - at least she had a go at hanging with the strong girls and held on for 4th. And Zoe Hobbs!! - the Kiwis have something to shout about with her and McCartney (don't mention the cricket).

And Zoe Hobbs!! - the Kiwis have something to shout about with her and McCartney (don't mention the cricket).
The Kiwis have more medals than us (but no gold). They could get another one tonight (well..tomorrow morning) with Kerr in the men's HJ.

Our only remaining medal hope is Kurt Marschall in the pole vault. Shelly Jenneke making the final would be as good as gold for her.

Meanwhile, back home in Canberra some good performances even with a lot of athletes missing. 18 year old Claudia Hollingsworth did it again smashing the Australian junior 800m for the second time this year. In Melbourne she broke 2 minutes for the first time. Yesterday she broke 1-59 with her training partner Bendere Oboya also running an Olympic qualifier. Australia now has four women battling to make it to the startline in Paris - and we might even get more.

I made some comments about Olympic team sports and medals won which means that winning gold in Hockey produces 18 gold medallist not 1 like a win in the 100m race in swimming or athletics does.

About a year after Atlanta, I started doing stats for that games on the team sports, and events where countries won multiple medals eg rowing 8's, quad sculls, relays, equestrian 3 day event team etc, to see who produced lots of medals from team sports so lots of individuals took home medals.

Plus it was the first time Oz had won medals in 4 team sports. I also did it after Sydney finished, but I only kept an eye on it rather than did any stats on it for the next 4 games between Athens and Rio, but during the Covid shut downs and slow down of activities, I kept stats during the Tokyo games rather than after them.

Oz over the last 20 to 30 years has naturally high world rankings in both men's and women's basketball and hockey, and women's water polo but it does get advantaged by being the strongest team in Oceania to help qualify in some team events.

The move to Asia for football has made it harder, especially for the men's team, but now the women's football team has reached a high world ranking which means it qualifies thru a tough Asian qualifying process, so after the home team and USA, Oz usually has the 3rd most number of teams from team sports and why the Oz contingent of athletes tends to be top 5.

Seoul..... 9th largest team sent, Oz sent 6 team sports teams, there were 10 gold medal team sports events.
Barcelona 9th largest team, Oz sent 5 team sports teams, there were 11 gold medal team sports events.

Atlanta... 3rd largest team, Oz sent 7 team sports teams, there were 13 gold medal team sports events. USA and GER bigger
Sydney... The largest team, Oz sent 14 team sports teams, there were 14 gold medal team sports events.

Athens.... 2nd largest team, Oz sent 11 team sports teams, there were 14 gold medal team sports events. USA bigger
Beijing.... 4th largest team, Oz sent 8 team sports teams, there were 14 gold medal team sports events. CHN,USA, RUS bigger

London... 4th largest team, Oz sent 7 team sports teams, there were 12 gold medal team sports events. GBR,USA, RUS bigger
Rio......... 4th largest team, Oz sent 9 team sports teams, there were 14 gold medal team sports events. USA,BRA, GER bigger
Tokyo..... 3rd largest team, Oz sent 11 team sports teams, there were 18 gold medal team sports events. USA,JAP, (Russia banned)

For Tokyo the 3x3 Basketball was introduced so that is considered a team sport compared to beach volleyball and say badminton that has pairs playing. Also baseball and softball returned so 18 team sports events.

The USA sent 615 athletes to Tokyo, they sent 12 teams the most, after Janpan's 18 and there were 167 athletes in those 12 teams and 114 took home medals. I haven't done the list across all sports accurately but its roughly 270 USA individuals took home at least 1 medal ie approx 44% of the team.

For Oz 30 athletes from team sports took home medals, silver in the men's hockey and bronze in men's basketball and all up 123 of the 478 athletes that went to Tokyo brought home at least 1 medal = 25.7%.

France did well in team sports preparing for Paris.

An adjusted medals handed out by individuals not events would make for interesting reading. No way could I be stuffed to do the whole lot but I might re do the top 10 countries.

Table for medals won in the 18 team sports.

1709615947314.png

I agree however Mclaughlin is a once in a lifetime athlete that WR she obliterated last year was phenomenal.

The East Germans used to hide away at home all year and then come out and obliterate WRs too.

Number of competitions
McLaughlin 2024 (0) 2023 (4) 2022 (5) - 7/9 in the US
Bol 2024 (5) 2023 (18) 2022 (17)

40 comps vs 9...

McLaughlin has competed outside the US only 2 or 3 times in the past 5 years.

The East Germans used to hide away at home all year and then come out and obliterate WRs too.

Number of competitions
McLaughlin 2024 (0) 2023 (4) 2022 (5) - 7/9 in the US
Bol 2024 (5) 2023 (18) 2022 (17)

40 comps vs 9...

McLaughlin has competed outside the US only 2 or 3 times in the past 5 years.
Your critique on her lack of competition is vaild. However I think she is so much better than anyone else she doesn't need to. She did win 2 gold medals in Tokyo.

What the heck is going on with the Gabba and the stadiums for 2032? It’s honestly starting to sound like a big mess. Athletics to possibly be held at Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre?? I’m worried it’s going to be extremely flat after Paris and LA getting the prior Olympics.
Drummond, I never got around to doing a timeline in the Brisbane Olympics thread, but I wrote this in Gabba Not To Be Rebuilt thread on the footy industry board, re the new proposal to build the stadium and 2 other venues at the 90 hectare Victoria Park, which was only going to be used for the equestrian cross country events and BMX freestyle, ie temporary venues.

As I wrote at the end of the post - So is Victoria Park going to be the #1 proposal of former Brisbane lord mayor Graham Quirk's review, that he hands to the Olympics minister Grace Grace on 18th March?? I don't know, but there seems to be a very orchestrated approach to ditch the Gabba and go for this proposal over the Albion site or the cheaper QSAC upgrade.

See this post

Aside from the pool what's our biggest favourites for Gold
Here is a list of some of the world champions or #1 world ranking Oz athletes outside of swimming that I have tracked a bit over 2023. I'm ignoring the swimming component of the recent 2024 world aquatics championships as most of the best swimmers didn't attend. This is the first time a world champs has been held in an Olympic year, and in February not the usual June/July period.

Elanor Patterson High Jump world champ silver in 2023 world champs.

Nina Kennedy Pole Vault world champ
Matt Wearn Sailing Laser world champ defending Olympic champ and easily won Olympic qualifying event in Adelaide in Jan 2024.
Jessica Fox K1 slalom world champ bronze at Tokyo.
Jessica Fox C1 defending Olympic champ bronze at 2023 world champs.
Cassiel Rousseau world champ 10m Platform - didn't compete at Feb 2024 world champs as competed in 10m syncro diving to help qualify Oz for Paris, which he achieved.

Saya Sakakibara Women's BMX is ranked #1, after finished 2023 ranked #2. But as per her 60 minutes story last Sunday, showed she has had a few bad crashes in her career. Not as bad as here brother Kai had in 2020, which left him with a brain injury and a physical disability which he has slowly overcome to walk again.

Women's Rugby 7's 2023-24 world series Oz is ranked #1 just ahead of NZ. The blokes are ranked 5th and will do well to make SF's.

2023 World champs Silver medallists at
Grace Brown Women's Time Trial road cycling
Men's team sprint track cycling
Matthew Richardson Men's Kerin track cycling
Women's Madison Georgia Baker + Alexandra Manly track cycling
Rowing Women's coxless pairs
Logan Martin BMX Freestyle - Park, he is the defending Olympic champ

The K2-1000m kayak sprint event that Thomas Green and Jean van der Westhuyen won in Tokyo has been scrapped and replaced with the K2-500m, which they finished 4th at 2023 world champs.

The sailing 470 class the men's and women's has been discontinued and now is a 470 mixed event only, Matt Belcher and Will Ryan won the men's in Tokyo. You never know what the Medal Maker Victor Kovalenko's athletes can achieve.

“It’s transition time,” Kovalenko says. “Because we lost our 470 men’s class – now we have mixed – and Mat Belcher and Will Ryan are not sailing. But we are still Olympic gold potential. We are aiming for gold in Paris.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back