Old Scholars Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

St Virgil’s looking more gettable now though in comparison to their early season dominance. It’ll be interesting to see if they maintain their unbeaten run before finals.

Gee that’s a shame re. Glover, he has been very dominant this season and was looking very promising for Uni’s tilt at the flag. Any idea what the injury was?
Glover avoided an ACL is the word, but won't be back this year.

I heard Richmond were very close to snagging their first win since 2021, falling 14 points short.
Their seniors haven’t won since 2019. Maybe their twos won in 2021?

2020 sat out- no wins
2021 no wins
2022 no wins
2023 no wins with 2 games left.

Would be pushing longest drought for a win in history of TAS footy? Kingpin may know more.

Have heard nothing on them getting any players next year either.

2020 sat out- no wins
2021 no wins
2022 no wins

Would be pushing longest drought for a win in history of TAS footy? Kingpin may know more.

No ressies wins either

2020 sat out- no wins
2021 no wins
2022 no wins

Richmond has lost 47 consecutive matches since going down in the 2019 Grand Final to DOSA.
Their most recent win at senior level was on 14th September 2019 with a 17.9 (111) to 12.18 (90) victory over OHA in that year's Preliminary Final at Richmond.
Their last away win was the week before (7th September 2019) at the TCA over Uni in the First Semi Final.
I believe St Virgils had an even bigger drought in the early 2000s, however.

Channel lost 62 in a row across the SFL Regional League and the Old Scholars when they came in.

Although not accurate regarding their last win, pretty embarrassing by Hutchins to have only won by 14 … crazy that they beat Uni the week before
Considering they beat them by over 150 points earlier in the year as well!
I did the DOSA v Uni game at the TCA and although it was quite windy up there, overall it was a very poor game of footy.
DOSA never used the wind properly when they had use of it and both teams turned the ball over constantly with poor kicking and bad handballing, indirect play.
By the looks of it, Uni had a fair few out but still managed to win it.
OHA must be either in a rut or have a lot out given they've suffered two pretty heavy defeats in a row, look likely to miss out on a home final after the St Virgils result on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 goal win for the Saints over Uni. Is there any hope of Uni turning this around and making the finals any sort of contest?
Will be tough to see Uni beat Saints at Bike Track in their first final. Saints looking a class above.
I heard Glover returned but didn’t do anything special, I believe it was just to make sure he has a run around before first finals. Very quick turn around for a broken leg!!
I think uni had a couple missing, st Virgil’s at full strength based on playing list. How will DOSA and OHA go? No Standen for OHA by the looks of it

Will be tough to see Uni beat Saints at Bike Track in their first final. Saints looking a class above.
I heard Glover returned but didn’t do anything special, I believe it was just to make sure he has a run around before first finals. Very quick turn around for a broken leg!!
I think uni had a couple missing, st Virgil’s at full strength based on playing list. How will DOSA and OHA go? No Standen for OHA by the looks of

I think uni had a couple missing, st Virgil’s at full strength based on playing list. How will DOSA and OHA go? No Standen for OHA by the looks of it
I reckon Standen will play in the prelim.

I'm not sure who will win out of the Roosters and Ships, haven't seen enough of either of them. Wouldn't imagine they would worry the saints.

Bit of a huge mixup with the Fitzgerald medal count the other night SVCs Jaye Bowden being awarded the medal outright.
In round 12 Bowden (#32) was given 2 votes in the match against DOSA out at the bike track, problem was he didn't actually play in that game!
It was his brother Tyler (#23) that played and was awarded 2 votes, wrong name was written down by the umpires.
An investigation was launched after the count.
The downgrading of 2 votes meant it was a tie between Jaye Bowden and Simon Vandervelde from Uni.
Josh Hobden from OHA took out the Brian Smith medal for the reserves.

On the weekend the finals get going, St Virgils play Uni out at the bike track while DOSA play OHA in the first semi on Sunday at the TCA.

Bit of a huge mixup with the Fitzgerald medal count the other night SVCs Jaye Bowden being awarded the medal outright.
In round 12 Bowden (#32) was given 2 votes in the match against DOSA out at the bike track, problem was he didn't actually play in that game!
It was his brother Tyler (#23) that played and was awarded 2 votes, wrong name was written down by the umpires.
An investigation was launched after the count.
The downgrading of 2 votes meant it was a tie between Jaye Bowden and Simon Vandervelde from Uni.
Josh Hobden from OHA took out the Brian Smith medal for the reserves.

On the weekend the finals get going, St Virgils play Uni out at the bike track while DOSA play OHA in the first semi on Sunday at the TCA.
Shows how little the umpires take notice.

Same people just get votes.

Shows how little the umpires take notice.

Same people just get votes.
Yeah its probably happened elsewhere before just I can't think of it happening.
Lack of experienced umpires nowadays wouldn't help things.

Not 100% sure it was an umpire mistake, maybe T Bowden was written down but put into the count as J Bowden?

It actually did happen in the SFL Colts in 2019.
A kid called Ryan Bird from Sorell won it outright at the awards night and was presented with his medal but it ended up being exposed immediately after the count had just finished being live-streamed that a bloke from Hobart was awarded votes in a game at Pembroke Park in the opening round colts match where he'd actually played in the reserves and hardly had any touches!
Umpires had written Brock Daniels number down (who did actually play really well in that colts game) but had put the guy that played in the twos name on it instead.
So there was a recount and it ended up being a tie and Daniels was presented with his medal on Grand Final day.

It actually did happen in the SFL Colts in 2019.
A kid called Ryan Bird from Sorell won it outright at the awards night and was presented with his medal but it ended up being exposed immediately after the count had just finished being live-streamed that a bloke from Hobart was awarded votes in a game at Pembroke Park in the opening round colts match where he'd actually played in the reserves and hardly had any touches!
Umpires had written Brock Daniels number down (who did actually play really well in that colts game) but had put the guy that played in the twos name on it instead.
So there was a recount and it ended up being a tie and Daniels was presented with his medal on Grand Final day.
Simon Ladic from the Central Hawks was awarded Best First Year player about a decade ago.

Award presented on the night. Phone call the next day, "sorry a New Norfolk Player actually won"

This week

Saints will take care of the Bows convincingly.

OHA by 7pts after extra time is played with scores tied up at full time.

Not 100% sure it was an umpire mistake, maybe T Bowden was written down but put into the count as J Bowden?
The new online system means you select players from a list. Easy to pick the wrong Bowden.

Old days it would have been harder for the error to happen.

OHA led all day at Richmond but Uni finished over the top of them to win the Prelim by 3 points.
SVC v Uni in the grannie next week.
OHA take on the Beans in the twos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back