OKFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Say what you like about the Tigers and their personalities, they play as a team/unit better than any other team. For a side full of stars and high $ they rarely show any selfishness on field. They share the footy and look after each other better than most and that's what's held them together for 5 years. I think the grand final will go their way but I think it will be a fast paced skilful game of footy and I hope the blacks take it right up to them.

Bright by a heap in the reserves and I'm tipping the suns to get the win on the under 18s

Spot on about the team play. There are a lot of different personalities on that team, but out in the field they play with a singular mindset.

And regarding the other post about lack of respect - Glenrowan plays with an 'us against the world' mentality. They back themselves to beat anyone and they enjoy the mental warfare of convincing their opponents that they can't be beaten. In reality Nige is one of the most respectful coaches I've encountered with regards to what he has said about opponents. His respect for Tarra as a club definitely took a hit due to the Hoggan incident, but he has always had very high regard for Trev's coaching and leadership.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm backing blacks to smoke glenrowan.
the tigers team might be stacked full of stars but they tend crumble under pressure seen it first hand against tarra in the 1st and last quarter, gbat also caused plenty of skill errors when they played glenrowan with there pressure then they got blown away, the first quarter is vital blacks keep the pressure on and not let glenrowan dictate the game on there terms.
tarra would be spewing still they lost that game, it was there for the taking when you can kick 50 metres why pass to a forward with an opponent on him?
critical errors at crucial stagescost tarra a shot at a playing off for a flag saturday.

ohhhh yeppp and their potential merger with other clubs at the start of 2016 how'd that go?

I think Jason is being smart and looking down the track. He's approached several clubs re the possibility of merging. I think we all need to look at what will or won't be around in 10 years time and not be naive.

Tips for the weekend

Seniors: I want benalla to win, so I'll tip them by a goal. Think it will be a really good game to watch.

Reserves: bright to give glenrowan a thumping, bright by 100 again

3rds: I'm hoping the southern suns get a win, I know there has been a lot of work put into getting that 3rds team up and going and to make the grandfinal in their 1st season is an anchievement in itself. Suns by 2 goals

Good luck to all teams this weekend

Tips for the weekend

Seniors: I want benalla to win, so I'll tip them by a goal. Think it will be a really good game to watch.

Reserves: bright to give glenrowan a thumping, bright by 100 again

3rds: I'm hoping the southern suns get a win, I know there has been a lot of work put into getting that 3rds team up and going and to make the grandfinal in their 1st season is an anchievement in itself. Suns by 2 goals

Good luck to all teams this weekend

With a few looking like being dropped by Glenrowan does that even the reserves up or do Bright still do it easy?

Well I'll be the first to throw my opinion of today's game in the ring. A few adages sum up the day such as "Men against Boys" or maybe you could run with "Deer in the headlights". Where I was standing most had turned around during the third & watched the netball which looked like a close game. Credit to Glenrowan they were clinical but All Blacks looked miles out of their depth. What's more, luckily we have goal umpires to signal goals otherwise you wouldn't know if Glenrowan had even scored. I drove back home for the weekend so I don't see many local games & have to ask, do Glenrowan have any supporters at all? Rather than cheers there were audible groans from the crowd or silence. I don't follow either club but I thought I'd see better.

That would have to be the worst GF I've been to . AB were so far out of their depth it was a joke nearly as laughable as the $20 entry price .
Is it just me or has the standard dropped off dramatically the skill level was pretty poor I thought .

That would have to be the worst GF I've been to . AB were so far out of their depth it was a joke nearly as laughable as the $20 entry price .
Is it just me or has the standard dropped off dramatically the skill level was pretty poor I thought .

I try to refrain from entering into these sorts of arguments. The Panthers were out played by a more experienced and well drilled side. The comment someone made earlier about boys against men was absolutely correct The skills were poor ALL day due to the wind. As to the Benalla boys being out of their depth, they had to beat 10 other clubs to get to where they were, including the early flag favourite. Your comments also imply that Glenrowan were also below par if it was the worst GF you've been to. At this stage I believe that there is still a couple of clubs looking for a coach so I assume you'll be applying for one of those positions so you can single handedly raise the standard of the league. The one thing you did get right was the $20 admission. There was a lot of Benalla people there for their first O&K gf and said they won't be back at that price..

Any reasoning behind the price hike?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard at Milawa's vote count they announced a new co coach. Didn't get a name but sounds like Pelly is stepping down. Notch you got this news or you still partying at the Northo

Heard at Milawa's vote count they announced a new co coach. Didn't get a name but sounds like Pelly is stepping down. Notch you got this news or you still partying at the Northo

Yeah we'll have something in either Wed or Fri. Non-playing co-coach is my understanding. I don't know much about his footy credentials but he was a handy cricketer at Yarra Mul a few years back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congrats to Glenrowan. Great effort to win 4 in a row. Really an achievement they should be proud of for a long time. We have all predicted there downfall over the years but they have held it together so credit to them. I wont pretend I agree with a lot of the things I hear come out of that club or really particularly like the way they go about it but they have done it there way and have 4 flags to show for it.
Think the Grandfinal was a bit of a shame because Benalla played so well in the previous final but couldnt replicate that on the big stage. If they keep the list together they will be better for the run. Think they will be a good contender next year.
Hopefully one day soon someone can match it with the tigers. Although they have won the last 4 I believe the comp is fairly even. They have just been better at the right time each year. Next year already shaping to be a cracker I believe.
Milawa will rise, Tarra shouldnt drop away too much, Glenrowan will still be top, Moyhu have shown improvement, Goorambat are competitive.
Off-Season will be a very interesting one. Already hearing stories of player movement.
Lets hope we get another good even year. But maybe someone can topple the Tigers

Congrats to Glenrowan. Great effort to win 4 in a row. Really an achievement they should be proud of for a long time. We have all predicted there downfall over the years but they have held it together so credit to them. I wont pretend I agree with a lot of the things I hear come out of that club or really particularly like the way they go about it but they have done it there way and have 4 flags to show for it.
Think the Grandfinal was a bit of a shame because Benalla played so well in the previous final but couldnt replicate that on the big stage. If they keep the list together they will be better for the run. Think they will be a good contender next year.
Hopefully one day soon someone can match it with the tigers. Although they have won the last 4 I believe the comp is fairly even. They have just been better at the right time each year. Next year already shaping to be a cracker I believe.
Milawa will rise, Tarra shouldnt drop away too much, Glenrowan will still be top, Moyhu have shown improvement, Goorambat are competitive.
Off-Season will be a very interesting one. Already hearing stories of player movement.
Lets hope we get another good even year. But maybe someone can topple the Tigers
I think next year will be another really even and competitive year IF:

Glenrowan retain 85% of their premiership side AND Benallas young kids continue to improve AND Tarra keep the same group AND assuming Goorambats aging top liners go round again AND Milawa donwaht they always do and find a couple of recruits AND Moyhu continue to belive that they can beat almost any side on their day AND Greta improve again like i think they will AND KV, Bright, Bonnie Doon and Whorouly continue their late season form.
All in all I think the league is in a reasonable position hawks aside

It is the fringe sides that fill me with excitement. Moyhu, Greta, Bright are all building, and showing all the right signs. The Bats and BD showed some good signs too - all the punters want to see is a competitive game, and if those 5 sides keep it up then 80% of the games will be good to watch.
I hope that there are some reviews happening at King Valley and Milawa - they are both well supported, have good sponsors, great cultures, good facilities and lots of history.
I do resent the success of Glenrowan, I think they add absolutely no value to the O&K other than being a villain - it is all well and good to prop up a side with imported talent, but only if it leaves a legacy, and facilitates the growth of a club. All teams go up and down the ladder, but only the ones with good strong foundations will survive the tough times and when their time in the doldrums come it'll be brutal.

Will Glenrowan definitely keep the majority of their list...

I don't think they will, but that is just my suspicion - it is not based on any inside knowledge. I think the fact the Tigers have nothing left to prove may see a few move on.

The players I think will definitely stay on board are Matt Robinson, Karl Norman, Jordy Hansted, Joel Bihun, Mitch Kilner and Bryce Ralph.

Sussyer has retired and by the sounds of things Cohen as well. I suspect that guys like Lawrence, Gray, Bradley, Elliott, Reynolds and Fox might move on.

Duffy and Scott love the club as much as anyone, and I reckon Jase will push very hard to get them to keep travelling.

Nige is the big one - if he decides to go around again it will go a long way towards getting others on board.

I imagine we will know more one way or another by this time next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back