Official British Grand Prix thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well qualifying is all done and Juan Pablo Montoya has his 4th pole position in a row!

The top six is Montoya, Barrichello, M.Schumacher, R.Schumacher, Raikkonen and Coulthard. Webber qualified 20th in the Minardi, whilst Alex Yoong continued to be a nuf-nuf and once again failed due to the 107% rule, probably meaning the end of his illustrious career.

Arrows did very well considering they didn't have any practice on the Friday. And the 'new' Jaguars were pathetic, 18th and 21st on the grid.

That's 4 poles in a row now for Montoya. A shame he has such reliabilty problems in the races, otherwise he might take it up to Mr Schumacher.
Wish DC had got a bit higher up the grid, while Alex Yoong really is only driving because he has the money, am I right in saying?

Alex Yoong shouldn't be on the track.

It is only the financial backing that he gets from the big Malaysian companies that keeps Minardi running.

Throw Marcus Ambrose or Craig Lowndes in a reasonable formula 1 car and the results would be telling.

Pity that the Australian drivers can't raise enough sponorship money, we would truly be a force in formula one if only we could raise the cash. Webber will more than likely fall by the wayside either at the end of this year or the not too distant future because of money issues.

I will stick my neck out and say that David Coulthard will win his "home" grand prix.

Originally posted by Unwritten_Law
Throw Marcus Ambrose or Craig Lowndes in a reasonable formula 1 car and the results would be telling.

I dont think so somehow. Touring Cars are very very different to Open Wheel cars. Craig Lowndes had his oppurtunity and failed dismally.

Courtney, Dixon and Nguyen would be much better prepared for an F1 drive.

Originally posted by Macca19

I dont think so somehow. Touring Cars are very very different to Open Wheel cars. Craig Lowndes had his oppurtunity and failed dismally.

Courtney, Dixon and Nguyen would be much better prepared for an F1 drive.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure Marcus Ambrose has done quite a bit of open wheel driving, and has done so with some success, I could be wrong though.

It was a shame to see Bright miss out on the Indy cars, as he did quite a good job in the Indy Lights series.

But I do agree on Courtney, Dixon and Nguyen being better prepared.

Courtney could get his chance sooner or later.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
Well qualifying is all done and Juan Pablo Montoya has his 4th pole position in a row!

Will Juan actually still be leading at the end of the 1st lap ?
He's had pole at least 4 times in his career & is yet to be leading at the end of the 1st lap.

Go M.Schumacher

Originally posted by TheMase

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure Marcus Ambrose has done quite a bit of open wheel driving, and has done so with some success, I could be wrong though.

It was a shame to see Bright miss out on the Indy cars, as he did quite a good job in the Indy Lights series.

But I do agree on Courtney, Dixon and Nguyen being better prepared.

Courtney could get his chance sooner or later.

Ambrose won some kind of championship. Not sure of the category i think maybe it was formula fords or formula 3's.

Race halfway over, another Ferrari benefit on the cards with all but Montoya (3rd) lapped already by MS & RB

*Yawn*

Webber crashed out early

*yawn*

Another Ferrari snorefest, Ferrari's had an extra pitstop and still lapped everybody bar Montoya

1. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1h31'45"015 Km/h 3
2. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B + 0'14"500 201.119 Km/h 3
3. 6 MONTOYA Williams BMW M + 0'31"600 200.498 Km/h 2
4. 11 VILLENEUVE BAR Honda B 1 lap(s) 2
5. 12 PANIS BAR Honda B 1 lap(s) 2
6. 7 HEIDFELD Sauber Petronas B 1 lap(s) 2
7. 9 FISICHELLA Jordan Honda B 1 lap(s) 2
8. 5 R.SCHUMACHER Williams BMW M 1 lap(s) 3
9. 8 MASSA Sauber Petronas B 1 lap(s) 3
10. 3 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes M 2 lap(s) 4
11. 17 DE LA ROSA Jaguar Cosworth M 2 lap(s) 3
12. 15 BUTTON Renault M 6 lap(s) 5
13. 10 SATO Jordan Honda B 10 lap(s) 0
14. 4 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 16 lap(s) 0
15. 14 TRULLI Renault M 31 lap(s) 0
16. 21 BERNOLDI Arrows Cosworth B 32 lap(s) 0
17. 16 IRVINE Jaguar Cosworth M 37 lap(s) 0
18. 20 FRENTZEN Arrows Cosworth B 40 lap(s) 0
19. 24 SALO Toyota M 45 lap(s) 0
20. 23 WEBBER Minardi Asiatech M 51 lap(s) 0
21. 25 MCNISH Toyota M 60 lap(s) 0

Sounded like Daz and AJ have had enough by their comments on the timeslot at the end - ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC CHANNEL SLIME!

As for the race, I thought it was sensational.

The big losers were Michelin - made to look luke real duffers without an intermeidate tyre.

Ferrari - Another sensational race where Ross Brawn made the right calls. Michael drove a flawless race, while Rubens recovered from stalling on the warm up lap brilliantly to get second. Even a spin and a lazy out lap that allowed Montoya to overtake wasn't enough.

Williams - Considering he had no decent tyres Montoya did well to claim 3rd. Ralf's race was ruined by a fuel rig stuff up.

McLaren - What a rabble they have become. Numerous pit stops, numerous wrong tyre selections, numerous fuel rig stuff ups as well before Kimi's engine blew. Embarrassing.

Renault - Another to suffer thanks to Michelin. Both drivers ended up retiring with mechanical problems. Button will now be under further pressure from Alonso.

Jordan - Fisichella did well after a poor qualifying session and was unlucky not to score points. Sato managed another DNF, although it wasn't his fault.

BAR - This is the big story of the GP. 5 points to BAR and all of a sudden they move from 11th to 7th in the constructors championship, putting Paul Stoddard back in the poop. Benefited from other's misfortune, but both drivers didn't stuff up and the car was reliable.

Sauber - Well deserved point to Heidfeld. Massa was his usual self, some quick laps but spun twice.

Arrows - Frentzen had driven a sensational race and was a real shot at 4th before his engine blew. Real shame after the disasterous week they have had.

Jaguar - A rabble. Irvine spun and De La Rosa pottered around in last for most of the afternoon.

Minardi - Only Webber qualified, and he made his first blue of the season by spinning off.

Toyota - McNish didn't even start, and Salo stopped early.

All in all plenty of passing and tactics made for an interesting race until the Ferrari's cleared out. They are benefitting more and more from been the sole top team on Bridgestones.

French GP in 2 weeks, typically a good track for Coulthard, but he may struggle with the car. Pity about the *****house timeslot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back