NSW Scholarship Holder - Craig Moller

Remove this Banner Ad

On Before the Game this morning Sheeds was adamant that GWS would be taking rucks in the draft. Given that everyone is labeling the upcoming draft as a Superdraft it would be handy if we could squeeze a deal out of GWS for a high pick in return for Moller.

Vlad would rub his greedy little hands together at the thought of a GWS local staying put.

As far as I can see there is no direct mechanism or precedent for this to happen; Brennan perhaps in some ways. He is not on our list, so we cannot actually trade him. For sure the afl can get tricky in its manipulations of the rules to advantage their babies, but again I can't see why they would do it with Moeller. Surely the rucks Sheedy is talking about would be game-ready or close to it rather than project players.

The Giants seem fairly astute in their list planning. He is at best 2 years away from even being considered for a game from the sounds of things. After that, having done his apprenticeship alongside Sandilands, he may well be a handy trade item for a Giant who wants to come home. They will get away with him taking up space on our senior list instead of on theirs.

But... if Griffin and Moller were on the table for Mason Shaw, or for an U17 pick (Hogan) that could be very tempting. Griffin and Moller would give the Giants some immediate ruck stocks and a great prospect. We would be dangerously short for rucks, but we could find a journeyman and developing ruck. Maybe we could bid Griffin for the U17 pick, and agree to not list Moller.

It would be something like... Freo trades Rd 1 pick + Rd2 for GWS early pick/mini draft pick + prelisted player for us to not take Moller.. which would leave him to be "zone picked" by GWS one would assume.

Is that you Gerrard?

Moller is being talked up as a 1st round pick.

Two 1st rounders, and a 2nd round for a mini draft pick + some copper coins?

:(

Is that you Gerrard?

Moller is being talked up as a 1st round pick.

Two 1st rounders, and a 2nd round for a mini draft pick + some copper coins?

:(

It is one of the great debates in draft and trading isn't it? What is the number 1 draft pick worth?

(You may argue the U17 pick is not the #1 as the player is still very undeveloped.

You could also argue that as you get the player earlier into your training system, it is more than the #1.)

If our pick is #10, and if Moller is notionally a #17, does that equal the #1 selection? If there is even the slightest notion that Moller wants this, I would take that deal.

For me I don't think it is simply about those numbers, but also about who Bond thinks may still be available at #10, knowing that it is likely not to be a power forward, but a midfielder. And which KPF's may still be available at our later picks.

Our ruckmen will be Clarke and Griffin in 2-3 years, hardly the sort of ruck combo that is going to lead a medicore midfield to a flag. Our midfields performance over the past few weeks speaks for itself.

We have genuine need all over the park.

You'd be nuts to throw away two top tier picks + a pick in the 30's which is likely to still get you quality this year, for a 17 year old with the Jack Darling factor.

It happens every year, the kids that are talked up as potential #1 picks at 17, invariably slide a fair way down the order once draft day comes around.

AFL are very lucky to have Craig in it's sport. What a basketballer he could have been!!! I have been watching him play for years against my son and then with him at Sydney Boys. The school has dominated Australian basketball over the last 3 years- he is our X factor. I still rate him the best U18 basketballer in the country despite him not playing for about 2 years. I am heavily involved in basketball and see the best in our game and i can honestly say that he had it all. The idiots that run basketball NSW are breathtakingly bad.

His has a great character and shy to the point where get gets a bit embarassed when people start talking him up. A great team player in any sport. The "Chairman" :) and his mum must be congratulated for raising such a great young man.

If anyone is interested in seeing how good a basketballer Craig still is, type in SBHS basketball in YouTube.
a bit of fun.

Jeez, we've got some basketballers in Clarke & Moeller. He looks the goods, Basketball would be gutted to lose him. Thanks BBhead. :thumbsu:

The parents who know something about basketball are gutted, but good luck to him. AFL put the steel in his basketball.

The parents who know something about basketball are gutted, but good luck to him. AFL put the steel in his basketball.

BBhead is/was a poster with a purpose. Created an account, nominating the Pies as his team. Posted twice in a thread about a NSW recruit to Fremantle. Then, apparently having completed his life-cycle, cancelled the account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig is a freakishly talented athlete, and still fantastic at basketball as well. I go to Sydney Boys, he is one of the main reasons we have
back-to-back national championships. Last year's highlights video is great, check his alley oop dunks and general domination:

Great that he has some fanboyz, and I hope he has the determination to get the most out of his obvious talent.

It is always interesting when a sportsman effectively has to choose one sport over the other. I imagine that it would take him longer to have an impact at afl level than in Basketball too.

I still don't know whether to trade him (and a draft pick if required) or keep him as a rookie. As a rookie he won’t clog our senior list too. It’s hard to find quality rucks and he may end up being a great player. Martin and Hogan also could be great players and just as valuable.

I wonder what other people’s thoughts of keeping or trading him.

He's already accepted a rookie spot for next year. Unless some magical trade eventuates with GWS he'll be at Fremantle next year learning from; Sandilands, Griffin and Clarke for ruck advice and Matthew Pavlich for KP forward advice. He's pretty thinly built, he'll need a few years to develop, we have the perfect set up for him to transition to AFL football at about 21-22 years of age.

He is a good prospect to have on the list. Rucks who can play forward are going to be very useful. may not be for a few years, but that is just the way it goes.

I noticed that Moller will not be attending the draft camp. Bit annoyed about that. Could've been a good opportunity to increase his currency by showing his great athleticism. But I spose GWS would've seen this first hand.

I noticed that Moller will be attending the draft camp. Bit annoyed about that. Could've been a good opportunity to increase his currency by showing his great athleticism. But I spose GWS would've seen this first hand.

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he currently injured?

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he currently injured?

The club advised him not to play for the rest of the year due to 'knee and hip injuries' but that was a while ago. Since then iirc he participated in light training with the clubn when he came over to be examined during school holidays. I was hoping he could at least do the 20m sprint or vertical leap testing.

But if he isn't over his injuries fair enough.

I noticed that Moller will not be attending the draft camp. Bit annoyed about that. Could've been a good opportunity to increase his currency by showing his great athleticism. But I spose GWS would've seen this first hand.

showed very good form early, heard at state rams testing was fastest & most agile there then got pulled out by giants trainers injured. i thought you blokes allready signed him. from our side of the country you have done a good job hiding him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back