North Central Football League - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmett

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2005
Home
The smallest major league of the VCFL based in one of the least populated regions of the state. If you are interested in Birchip-Watchem, Boort, Charlton, Donald, St Arnaud, Wedderburn and/or Wycheproof-Narraport then make this the thread you visit.

Re: North Central Football League

First up let's look at a few of the confirmed recruits for the NCFL.

St Arnaud has retained David 'Bull' Atkinson as coach for 2006 and added former Stawell coach, Jamie Solyom, as an assistant coach. Solyom arrived at Stawell in 2003 from the Central Murray league. Urch_Crunch has suggested in the Wimmera FL thread that Nhill's 2005 captain, Simon Brearley, will also be an assistant at St Arnaud.

Donald has appointed Ross Funcke as coach for next season. The club has enticed former WFL rep and VCFL squad member, Josh Mibus, across from Horsham United and he will be joined by Diggers' teammate Jay Tucker who will be an assistant to Funcke.

Wedderburn is rumoured to have appointed Dean Lockhart as coach.

SOLYOM JOINS ST ARNAUD

First published by:

Wimmera Mail-Times
Friday, December 9, 2005

By Dean Lawson

Colourful former Stawell grand final leader Jamie Solyom will be an assistant coach with St Arnaud in the North Central Football League next year.
The sharpshooting forward and strong-man could speak only briefly by mobile phone yesterday but confirmed he had signed at Lord Nelson Park.
“Yes, I’m definitely playing as assistant coach at St Arnaud next year,” he said.
Solyom, a talented country football spearhead, has been a controversial figure since joining Stawell a few years ago.
He took the Warriors to a grand final in his debut season as a coach but lost his job the following year and returned to lead the Warriors again this year.
Creative midfielder Dale Power will coach Stawell with the assistance of Daniel Thomas and Scott Nicholson next season.
Injuries plagued Stawell this year but club insiders are confident of an improvement in 2006.
While the Warriors are on the hunt for prospective recruits, speculation is rife they will lose forward Sam Anyon to Geelong.

the lockhart coaching gig is definately right. He had a coaching role lined up elsewhere but with the 'burn unable to attract a coach (they chased Simon Cox who is ex Hawthorn and Doggies, and also Daniel Smidt from Rochester) and with Lockhart keen to take on a coaching gig, they decided to appoint him.

Ross Funke is getting big cash at Donald

tell me Grimmett, with Solyom going to the saints, who will be the other guns there this year? sounds like they're having a serious crack...?

HJ32 said:
....tell me Grimmett, with Solyom going to the saints, who will be the other guns there this year? sounds like they're having a serious crack...?

Probably need Urch Crunch to fill you in better than me but if they are successful in getting Simon Brearley across from Nhill they will be pleased with the results I reckon. He's in his early 20's and is a bustling, burly midfielder who goes OK. Should give them a boost around the middle and Solly provides and intimidating target up forward.
I also seem to recall they had a bloke named Brock Ezard playing who was kicking pleny of goals last season and his brother Lachlan was playing as well. Help me out Urch?
Very early days but I'd reckon it looks as if both Donald and St Arnaud are having a decent crack in '06.

thanks Clarrie

it's always interesting to hear whats going on in the NCFL because the crappy Bendigo Advertiser no longer put the scores or a write up on that comp in the paper on a monday. And there are a lot of blokes in bendigo who are up there playing....

Matt Gretgrix on the move from Charlton? Has been speaking to some Bendigo clubs. Have you seen him play? how's he go?

Grimmett said:
The smallest major league of the VCFL based in one of the least populated regions of the state. If you are interested in Birchip-Watchem, Boort, Charlton, Donald, St Arnaud, Wedderburn and/or Wycheproof-Narraport then make this the thread you visit.
As a new member to BF thanks for starting this thread. My mighty panthers are now gone and replaced by bulls in docker jumpers but I still enjoy catching up with one of the toughest leagues despite its size in the VCFL.

With the 2 players coming across from the Diggers will Terry Arnel return to the Bulls?(If he hasn't already)
Also with Ross Funke coaching in Donald what are the chances of his brother coming over to lend a hand be it on or off the field. The team in Donald have a knack of bringing back good local kids. What about the Young brothers, Seamus and Ross, are either a chance of being drwn from their current VFL sides to further strengthen the club?

any news on recruits boort have picked up have they retained there
melbourne based players

soapyJNR said:
With the 2 players coming across from the Diggers will Terry Arnel return to the Bulls?(If he hasn't already)
Also with Ross Funke coaching in Donald what are the chances of his brother coming over to lend a hand be it on or off the field. The team in Donald have a knack of bringing back good local kids. What about the Young brothers, Seamus and Ross, are either a chance of being drwn from their current VFL sides to further strengthen the club?

Can't say for certain obviously but I would think that neither Terry Arnel or Leigh Funcke would be on the move from their Wimmera League clubs.
Arnel was a rock solid defender for the Horsham premiership team and they are chasing their fourth flag in a row in 2006 which has only previously been achieved by Ararat in the 1950's. History beckons but I suppose home ties might as well.
Funcke might be more of a chance to move across to play with his brother but he has been a stalwart of the Minyip and Minyip-Murtoa clubs and at the age of 33 he may feel he is better staying put. He is definitely good enough at that age to still make the move so I guess only time will tell. The Burras won't want him to go as he is one of their team leaders but I don't suppose he'll get that many chances to play with his brother.
Couldn't say on the Young boys.

Couldn't say on the Young boys

Ross i believe will still be playing for the Northern Bullants and at present his brother is playing up in Darwin. Not sure of his moves after that

Robbie Lee is coaching Birchip. Don't know too much about recruits.

If Dean Lockhart is coaching Wedderburn they are kidding themselves. 'Dorra' aka 'Captain Kickless' is well and truly past it, and I'd suggest they'll have huge problems luring players there this year. After a few solid years without winning a premiership, I reckon its back to the bad old days of the 90s for the 'Burn.

Matt Gretgrix is a talented key forward who would be good acquisition for a Bendigo League team. I believe he lives in Bendigo so if he's sick of the travel and the price is right he's a good chance for a Bendigo team.

Donald look set for a huge year by the sound of their recruits. Probably hard to go past them.

Despite all this, with a good harvest in store for the area all clubs' cheque books will be well and truly open and it wouldn't surprise me if a few clubs spring a few surprises with some big name signings. Interesting to see teh developments of the next month or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Central major League Status must be hanging on a thead if they loose a club it could spell them being a Major League, Mallee LEague proved major league dosn;t have to be alot , cause back in 1997 when they had 12 they never got Major League Status which i thoguht they should with 12 sides
love to see what happens if Donald or St Arnaud move to the Wimmera League. as theres been talks about it If The Mallee footy league ever went down hill club wise, Hyperthitical Stick Beulah in North central if it did eventuate who knows what will happen 4 or 5 years down the track with kids going else where for work which is killing Clubs then senior players either move or retire , then were would they get young players from no where

Grimmett said:
Probably need Urch Crunch to fill you in better than me but if they are successful in getting Simon Brearley across from Nhill they will be pleased with the results I reckon. He's in his early 20's and is a bustling, burly midfielder who goes OK. Should give them a boost around the middle and Solly provides and intimidating target up forward.
I also seem to recall they had a bloke named Brock Ezard playing who was kicking pleny of goals last season and his brother Lachlan was playing as well. Help me out Urch?
Very early days but I'd reckon it looks as if both Donald and St Arnaud are having a decent crack in '06.

Yeah Brock Ezard has left apparently heading to a team in the Bendigo area, is a good Full Forward but has had plenty of injuries in the past. Lachlan is a cousin, only a youngen. Was good last year getting plenty of it playing midfield, hard running and can take a grab.

HJ32 said:
thanks Clarrie

it's always interesting to hear whats going on in the NCFL because the crappy Bendigo Advertiser no longer put the scores or a write up on that comp in the paper on a monday. And there are a lot of blokes in bendigo who are up there playing....

Matt Gretgrix on the move from Charlton? Has been speaking to some Bendigo clubs. Have you seen him play? how's he go?

He goes alright, fantastic marking CHF. Good kick too. The navies will be sad to see him go. He is in uni in bendigo i think.

Bigmore has left the burn and has taking on a joint coaching role with Navarre. The burn seem to have lost a few decent players from last year, McCormick was a big unit down there at FF and generally gave the FB of opposing teams plenty of trouble. Will he take his Bachus Marsh mates with him or are they staying on, mates i mean the connor boys and de'argo at full back?

URCH_CRUNCH said:
Bigmore has left the burn and has taking on a joint coaching role with Navarre. The burn seem to have lost a few decent players from last year, McCormick was a big unit down there at FF and generally gave the FB of opposing teams plenty of trouble. Will he take his Bachus Marsh mates with him or are they staying on, mates i mean the connor boys and de'argo at full back?

Kate's cousin/ElGarrouge will be staying at Wedderburn.

URCH_CRUNCH said:
He goes alright, fantastic marking CHF. Good kick too. The navies will be sad to see him go. He is in uni in bendigo i think.

There are a couple of Bendigo Clubs on his tail. Sandhurst being one i think.

who's chasing the fella from St Arnaud (who now lives in bendigo)?

HJ32 said:
There are a couple of Bendigo Clubs on his tail. Sandhurst being one i think.

who's chasing the fella from St Arnaud (who now lives in bendigo)?

not sure, you tell me????? is it on one of the boards on here? who is the saints fellar been chased?

URCH_CRUNCH said:
Yeah Brock Ezard
has left apparently heading to a team in the Bendigo area, is a good Full Forward but has had plenty of injuries in the past. Lachlan is a cousin, only a youngen. Was good last year getting plenty of it playing midfield, hard running and can take a grab.

Urch - this is the guy that i was quearying about? Brock Ezard. who is sounding him out?

NCFL coaches for 2006:

Birchip-Watchem – Robbie Lee
Boort – Mark Perryman
Charlton – Ricky Andrews
Donald – Ross Funcke
St Arnaud – Darren Atkinson
Wedderburn – Dean Lockhart
Wycheproof-Narraport – Josh White

Andrews, Funcke, Lockhart and White are new for 2006.

URCH_CRUNCH said:

Close... He's an apprentice plumber in bendigo....I get the feeling he will end up in bendigo... Will be a big loss for Charlton.... CHF = toughest position in footy

URCH_CRUNCH said:

The Connor's are on the move... I think they are heading back to Bacchus Marsh... i think...

gerta said:
The Connor's are on the move... I think they are heading back to Bacchus Marsh... i think...

one is going with mccormick, the wingman who is a smart a$$ and has spikey hair and the other is stayin on apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back