Workshop Non-Footy Designs - A No-Guernsey Area

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd been a while since I'd partaken in one of my specialties...and for all the many who make crossovers, I basically have a monopoly on this specific variant...
c2pcoveredbanner.png

In TLDR form, I make college uniforms that look like a pro team's and vice versa here.
c2pharrisonsmith.png

The sleeve patch is a mock version of the IRL Ravens, and I think I did a good job there, considering the nature of Alabama's state flag meant things weren't gonna be an exact match.
c2pmarlonhumphrey.png

Louisville's helmet uses a circle instead of an oval mainly because it's easier for their L to fill. I didn't really want to settle for an all-gold version of the G, so I made a dairy cow's head to go on the Packers helmet, complete with gritted teeth, which Louisville's cardinal is infamous for having even though birds don't have teeth :D The sleeve stripes, which on Louisville's jerseys were wings, I turned around and tweaked into hooves to tie into the cow logo.
c2pjairealexander.png

Last official entry in this particular group is Derwin James of the Chargers...the whole transition wasn't as tricky as one would think it was, to be honest. I did consider creating a flaming version of FSU's spear for the helmet and pants, an homage to their longstanding pregame ritual, but abandoned the idea as not really being worth the effort. On the Bolts, I went with a straight bolt/horse on the helmet and a sleeve pattern of, from top to bottom, Seminole depictions of lightning, palm trees and a rainstorm.
c2pderwinjames.png

Some editions of C2P featured players who went to the same university, though in those cases they weren't necessarily teammates. These guys, though...not only all teammates, but they played under a freaking meme coach, who gave us such gems as 5-star hearts, leadership reps, and what I chose as the title, the "honor" he bestowed on his seniors after losing to in-state rival Vanderbilt to cement a disappointing season in the SEC when they'd been expected to win their division and be sacrificed to Alabama play in the SEC championship game...instead they forever became the Champions of Life
c2pchampionsoflifeheader.png

Didn't feel like wasting time, I led off with Alvin Kamara. For the longest time, I didn't like how orange and silver looked together, and was glad no team wore them together. For the most part, I still don't, but Tennessee orange/smoke gray? The contrast is much better, so I find it much more pleasing to look at. On the Saints side, I went with a paler gold than they're usually associated with. Also included graphite on the jersey to lessen a notable consequence of the College to Pro concept: the tendency for some plainer jersey swaps to look like the kind of replicas you'd find at Walmart. Yeah, these things happen. The Vols were using their trademark checkerboard pattern on the tail end of their helmet and pants stripes that season, I didn't want to simply use that verbatim, so for the Saints version, I took a stab at replicating wrought iron, which New Orleans is famous for.
c2palvinkamara.png

Last edited:
Steelers cornerback Cameron Sutton...the roundel on Tennessee's helmet is taken from their state's flag, the stars arranged to resemble a V for the Volunteer State. For those of you unfamiliar with the NFL, the weird sleeve striping here is because the Steelers are rather stubborn in that regard and refuse to adjust their size to fit modern jerseys. This is what their striping is supposed to look like...
16387554854254.jpg

versus how it looks on most of the players:
chase-claypool-touchdown.jpg

anyway, moving onto the bottom...I actually could have gone with checkers this time, as long as we're in civic symbol territory...but I instead ended the helmet/pants stripes with repeating hypocycloids (the proper name for the four pointed stars in the Steelers' logo)
c2pcameronsutton.png

Depending on a certain perspective, the last of the CoL that's actually done anything in the NFL (or third of four), Derek Barnett...figuring out what to use in place of the eagle head was easy. Replacing the wing was a bit trickier...but then UT is country. I went with a raccoon tail, in reference to coonskin hats, as UT's human mascot wears one. The Eagles, not as much to say, basically green and silver with the wing moved to the tip of the striping.
c2pderekbarnett.png

blows dust off
So a number of NHL teams have now reached the big 5-0...true, only one is truly acknowledging it, the New York Islanders, mostly because their expansion brothers are the Flames, who are a bit hit or miss regarding their Atlanta years, and the NHL officially considers the surviving WHA teams to be 1979 expansion teams even though they all began playing in 1972. But whatever, I'm feeling more ambitious than usual and I'm doing it. So this was the first set, using the striping style the Isles wore at inception (and returned to several years ago), using a variant of the NY crest that was used on a special outdoor jersey; the Pittsburgh Penguins are the opponents, sporting their early 70s jerseys in steel gray.
islanders50th70s.png

The Isles wore this particular striping, slightly different from the other one, on their blue jerseys during their dynasty years...figured the infamous fisherman crest would make its appearance here, with teal as the main color. For the opposing New Jersey Devils, I dipped into their pre-Jersey history, with the design based off of the hockey Colorado Rockies.
islanders50th80s.png

Trivia: Among logos that have nicknames, what you tend to call the fisherman depends on whether you're American or Canadian-Yanks call him the Gorton's Fisherman (actually pretty apt, as both wear a raincoat and hat, and sport gray beards), Canucks call him Captain Highliner (only really have the beard in common). In both cases, the reference is to the frozen fish aisle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90s Night, there was no choice: had to be the waves. The crest and color choice, meanwhile, is basically a mashup of the Isles' two ill-advised black alternates, one they'd created just to have a third jersey, and the other during their brief stint in Brooklyn to match the Nets...I can tell you what, I'm glad I'm not making the waves again, they took insanely long to get right. At some level, I don't blame them for making a half-assed version for the Reverse Retro; at first glance, you'd think the Leafs jersey wasn't a product of the 90s, but they'd worn it as a throwback in 1996, so that's the direction I went in.
islanders50th90s.png

2K night, went with this...I'm more awake, so I can actually give a description now: went with third jerseys on both ends, the Isles basically being the closest to a reverse retro in the bunch-the original was orange, I basically switched the white and orange around and used royal blue instead of navy; the Flyers, I felt kinda bad about what I went with: if it's not enough they were the lone Expansion Six team I didn't make an anniversary series for (I had my reasons), when they finally appear in one, I end up using their, at best, second-worst design.
islanders50th2000s.png

Last edited:
Battle of New York for 2010s Night...during their brief stay in Brooklyn before they returned to Long Island, the Isles had a black third uniform with white lettering and striping, which was a nod to the Brooklyn Nets' branding. Went with that striping, but used the late 90s-2000s version of the team crest and colors, and also incorporated their old four stripes motif by making two of the stripes orange. The Rangers' design is an inversion of one of their Winter Classic sets, though instead of their traditional diagonal lettering, I opted for a simplified version of their shield logo with NY emblazoned on it.
islanders50th2010s.png

Last edited:
After the Isles series went well IMO, I moved onto the Calgary Flames...starting with their Atlanta crest on a black jersey. Unlike the Isles, the Flames didn't have a ready-made 50th anniversary patch since they tend to mostly focus on their Calgary years, so I finessed something for the Atlanta jersey, a map of Georgia with the logo's flames on the bottom. The Arizona Coyotes oppose them, the style they're wearing matching that of the WHA's Phoenix Roadrunners. The logo on the right shoulder of their jersey, also appearing on the pants, is that of the old roadrunner. As I'm going to start a series in honor of the WHA's surviving members in the near future, figured I'd get a head start, which is why there's a WHA anniversary patch on the Coyotes jersey.
flames50th70s.png

If there's one thing that's tended to be true, if there's a decade, the Canucks probably existed in some form :laughing: that, and this was the first of three instances of something I wouldn't normally have done. I wanted to keep the black to a minimum, but didn't want todo a gold jersey here either. My only real option, then, was red but using colors differently from how the 80s Flames actually looked. So a more gold-heavy look with a Calgary script on front. Also figured out a decent anniversary logo: basically a stylized 50 with a portion of the Calgary flame on the 5 and the Atlanta flame in the 0. I've already done the infamous Flying V in a couple different flavors, so for Vancouver, I went with their late 80s jersey in the current colors, and included a nod to the old flying skate logo: Johnny Canuck is skating in the opposite direction and I included motion lines in alternating colors.
flames50th80s.png

A Totally 90s 90s Night sees the pedestal jersey sans black for the Flames, where instead of the burning C, I use Blasty the horse (yeah, he has a name) on the second "red but different" look in the series. We also see a black version of the Angry King jersey, with the gradient having an actual pattern this time, the zigzags are taken from Los Angeles' flag.
flames50th90s.png

2000s night, I deviate from "red but different" for a minute, going mostly gold with a Calgary boot as the crest. The opposing Stars get a neon version of their old star jersey.
flames50th2000s.png

Lastly, going back to "different red" for the Edge style striping. Saw the number coloration on a baseball jersey once and liked it, so I was saving it for just this occasion.
flames50th2010s.png

Considering my Wellington Phoenix copied off of Peñarol in South America for our most recent home kit...
penarol-2021-kit-8.jpg
ClaytonLewis.png

I decided to play around with another of Peñarol's previous home designs in the hope that we can return to a black base.

The Peñarol design I've referenced:
penarol_2018_puma_home_kit_a.jpg
Things to note about this design:
1. I have not seen an all-yellow version of the A-League logo yet, so this would be the likely colouring. Much like the Oppo logo.
2. My shitty design program can't remove backgrounds, so I was forced to stick with the full Nix circle logo, otherwise I would have had the Phoenix in yellow on the black background.
3. I did not realise they had yellow cuffs. Imagine that too, I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back