Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Had this rule been in place last year, Jakob Ryan, Josh Carmichael, Trent Bianco, Will Kelly, Trey Ruscoe and Tom Wilson all would have been awarded premiership medallions ?? You wouldn't be able to pick most of those blokes out of a crowd. The medallion needs to have prestige. Otherwise, as an average footy fan you'd likely be able to pick one up on ebay for a few hundred bucks in a few years time. I'm firmly in the camp where only premiership players are awarded a GF medallion. Society as a whole has sadly adopted the trophies for everyone mentality, the AFL does not need to follow down this path.
Richmond gave their Premiership players Life Membership

Imagine all the lost coin

I suspect the overwhelming majority of players would feel that unless you played in the grand final, anything given as an award is a mere trinket that'll either be lost in a drawer or sold off in time. I don't see the need for token egalitarianism.

Maybe the club would've felt better giving Modra something for his contributions in 1997, but Modra will remain haunted by missing out on the big day no matter the cold-comfort shiny given.

Rings - what a trashy Yank concept.
tend to agree.
did I also read $50k per ring!?! or did I misread?
The oversized Superbowl and NBA rings, smothered with diamonds, is the height of excess and greed.
And spending so much money on a piece of jewellery that will stay it someone's top drawer for the rest of their lives is just ridiculous. There are other ways to spend that money within the AFL than giving Nathan Krueger a $50k ring.

As 12th man you generally are part of the team.

No sub fielding? Running drinks or gloves out?

This is rank country stuff. Everyone comes off the field at drinks. No one has spare gloves or anything like that. During the season you don't even pick a 12th, it's just a formality come finals time.

How many Rookies have COLL blooded this year ? ......think it's 3 ....Charlie Dean played 1 game if you don't include R0, then was dropped & probably never to be seen again

Should he get a Premiership Ring .....seems to tarnish the prestige of the ring, if these types are getting rings

Why woukdnt ro7nd 0 be included?

How’s Sydneys mids going.
Their 3 main mids in heeney Warner and gulden have 30 goals 13,10 & 7 respectively
Ours have 9 Dawson 5 Soligo 2 Laird 2
Those three players are 1,3 & 4 in the comp for score involvements out of everyone.
That’s unreal
How are Port's elite midfield going in comparison? I mean, we know where we stand, but Port's midfield is said to be the best in the league? How do they compare?

No way, Wayne is an ‘eyes’ man, he has zero interest in stats.
Spock Encerio GIF

I don't think the Premiership is just one game. It's the culmination of a season of games and everyone who played during the season, contributed to that result. What do they do in the soccer, where they don't have finals, the top team wins. Does everyone in the squad get something?

I suspect the overwhelming majority of players would feel that unless you played in the grand final, anything given as an award is a mere trinket that'll either be lost in a drawer or sold off in time. I don't see the need for token egalitarianism.

Maybe the club would've felt better giving Modra something for his contributions in 1997, but Modra will remain haunted by missing out on the big day no matter the cold-comfort shiny given.
This indeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who sat on the bench for a whole game in a grandfinal even though I played every game of the season I got a medal as I was on the score card but I know in my heart I didn't deserve it because I didn't play and it's an awful hollow feeling when everyones celebrating and you feel guttered because the coach didn't trust you enough to put you on.

Only people who play in the GF should get a medal

You were best 22 but the coach chose to leave you on the bench the entire game?

tend to agree.
did I also read $50k per ring!?! or did I misread?
The oversized Superbowl and NBA rings, smothered with diamonds, is the height of excess and greed.

Welcome to professional sports.

And spending so much money on a piece of jewellery that will stay it someone's top drawer for the rest of their lives is just ridiculous. There are other ways to spend that money within the AFL than giving Nathan Krueger a $50k ring.

The NFL generates about 18 times the revenue of the AFL.

It wouldn't be that bad giving Nathan Krueger a ring worth $2,500.

I don't think the Premiership is just one game. It's the culmination of a season of games and everyone who played during the season, contributed to that result.

100%. I don't understand this whole participation trophy nonsense sprouted by some on here. If you are on the team you are contributing - whether that be at training, in meetings etc.

What do they do in the soccer, where they don't have finals, the top team wins. Does everyone in the squad get something?

Generally in all the other sports - rings/medals are awarded to the squad not just the team on the day.

NFL gives superbowl winning teams 150 rings - they can then give them out to whomever and can purchase more if they need.

Not exactly sure how the other big sports in USA do it - NHL, MLB, NBA - but I am pretty sure they would give everyone on the roster a ring - especially since there is no "Grand Final in these sports" - but instead a best of 7 series.

True but it is provided in a format easy to understand rather than try and work it out looking at the premiership table “points for” and “points against”.

Port were top 4 but not in the green section last year (were the 3rd best attacking side but 6th worst defensive side). Carlton is trending the same way this year.
Or .... https://squiggle.com.au/

NFL gives superbowl winning teams 150 rings - they can then give them out to whomever and can purchase more if they need.
I'm sure Phil Harper would get one for recruiting all the 18 yr olds

If a bloke that does bugger all on GF day gets a medal - why not the player that has slugged it out all season to get to the GF but does a hammy the week before the big day?

The clubs are always talking about the WHOLE LIST contributing - the WHOLE CLUB being part of it. Why not give the list something to say you contributed to us winning a premiership? Why not a different thing to the staff that contributed? Why does that demean the people that actually played on the day?

No problem with it ... give the players something to hock when they run out of money!!

Lots of people in this thread devaluing the Premiership Medal I earned for my 3 possession performance in an U12s grand-final where I was the worst player on the team and only allowed on the field at the midway point of the last quarter when the game was sown up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back